Anyone have comparable specs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have comparable specs?

Hey guys, I really want to get bf3 but when I played the beta I only had 12 fps on caspian. Unfortunately I can not afford to upgrade anything right now so I was sondering if anyone may have similar specs to my rig and if so, how does it run? Specs follow

Intel [email protected] 3.0 GHZ
    4 GB of Corsair dominator pc8500
    EVGA 285 GTX
    PC power and cooling 750w
    WD 36 gb Raptor for the OS
    Win7 premium 64 bit
    3 other misc drives (1 for games, 1 for Music/video, 1 for backup)

I do have access to a pair of 9800 gt's (that I could SLI) and a q9450 (quad core 2.66 ghz) from a dell XPS 630i that I am pretty sure the mobo is fried in. Could possibly cannibalize if you think it might help. Not sure about the proprietary nature of dell though. Also have a 210gt just sitting around that I was thinking about using for physX to try to take a bit of strain off the 285.
    |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
    I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Re: Anyone have comparable specs?

I don't have exactly the same specs but I'm more mid-range then a good number of the people around here. :)

I'm running a Phenom II X4 925 Quad Core (2.66Ghz) and 4GB RAM - so close to what you said you could get as far as CPU. For video I'm running a 1GB Radeon 4850 and although I'm still tweaking settings I've basically set it to the predefined medium setting and seem to be doing OK. FPS sits around 30 in most situations. Maybe someone knows if SLI'd 9800s would be at least as good as the 4850. If so, I'd say for it. The game looks pretty damn good at medium so even if you have to drop to low it's still worth the experience.

I do hope to upgrade to a 6850 maybe toward the end of the year but I'm perfectly happy playing it with what I have even if I have to drop it to low.

Comment

I don't have exactly the same specs but I'm more mid-range then a good number of the people around here. :)

I'm running a Phenom II X4 925 Quad Core (2.66Ghz) and 4GB RAM - so close to what you said you could get as far as CPU. For video I'm running a 1GB Radeon 4850 and although I'm still tweaking settings I've basically set it to the predefined medium setting and seem to be doing OK. FPS sits around 30 in most situations. Maybe someone knows if SLI'd 9800s would be at least as good as the 4850. If so, I'd say for it. The game looks pretty damn good at medium so even if you have to drop to low it's still worth the experience.

I do hope to upgrade to a 6850 maybe toward the end of the year but I'm perfectly happy playing it with what I have even if I have to drop it to low.

Comment

Up until this week I also had an e8400 but with a GTX 260. The beta ran "okay", with Caspian giving me 20-30 fps. I'd recommend swapping in the quad core as it appears that BF3 takes advantage of it.

Comment

I can't compare specs to that much, but I will say that Caspian ran terribly on beta for me, even at lower resolutions. Like 15 fps or lower. But the full release-- I haven't checked fps yet, but it was very much playable on any map and running at 1080p.

Comment

Originally posted by avenging llama View Post
            Hey guys, I really want to get bf3 but when I played the beta I only had 12 fps on caspian. Unfortunately I can not afford to upgrade anything right now so I was sondering if anyone may have similar specs to my rig and if so, how does it run? Specs follow

Intel [email protected] 3.0 GHZ
            4 GB of Corsair dominator pc8500
            EVGA 285 GTX
            PC power and cooling 750w
            WD 36 gb Raptor for the OS
            Win7 premium 64 bit
            3 other misc drives (1 for games, 1 for Music/video, 1 for backup)

I do have access to a pair of 9800 gt's (that I could SLI) and a q9450 (quad core 2.66 ghz) from a dell XPS 630i that I am pretty sure the mobo is fried in. Could possibly cannibalize if you think it might help. Not sure about the proprietary nature of dell though. Also have a 210gt just sitting around that I was thinking about using for physX to try to take a bit of strain off the 285.
            I'm running it in almost the same rig. I have 8GB ram but a 260GTX. I am getting about 30fps, 20sh fps under heavy fire or when there is alot going on caspian has some nasty drops but I just grit my teeth through those, I also haven't tried it with everything lowered. I am running mostly everything on medium, some low, high textures, but 0 anti alias.
            sigpic

Comment

ahhh...ok guys... thx for the input =)

P.S.- Just realized the 9800GT's are actually a 9800GX2. On the Tom's hardware chart it shows to be about the same as the single 285.
              |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
              I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Dual core won't cut it so take the quad core. BF3 is easily bottlenecked with older CPU. I have a worse Geforce 9 GPU (one generation before your gpu), but can still run the game having a fairly new quad core processor.

Comment

Yea I agree with Storm, I think you would benefit from a swap to the quad core processor, especially if you gave it a mild overclock.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X