So about those jets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So about those jets

So it could be that I suck but it seems to me that Jets are only good at taking out other jets. Maybe a Helicopter but I have run into some problems with them. Mainly the fact that Helicopters are hard to see. Missiles do not really work on them because they have flares and I have been running into a really annoying bug when it comes to gunning down the Helis. If I do manage to get visuals on a Heli I will start to approach it and then all the sudden the screen starts shaking and there is a big crash (like you hit something) but you did not hit anything or take fire. I guess it has something to do with moving straight? Either way the fact that helis are hard to spot, and your screen is shaking after you spot them I really have had no luck in shooting them down.

Jets also seem to be pretty useless when it comes to engaging ground targets. If there was actually a decent mini map this might change. I don't know, maybe this is a good thing as it keeps the game balanced and fair. It seems that Jets were designed with 3d spotting in mind as this would make engaging ground and helicopters a lot easier.

Re: So about those jets

Turbulence = lag afaik.

Comment

alot of BF3 is designed around 3d spotting.... that's a fact. You need it to know which direction to set up your mortars in, spot ground vehicles for the air assets to be able to see.... Wish people did alot better job of spotting troops or enemy vehicles. I constantly spot armor,troops,aircraft.....because I expect people to use the mini map to have situational awareness. Your absolutely right though....when your in any aircraft it's hard to see anything on the ground.
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

the reason you "felt like you got shot" is because you cannot go above 250(m?) up, they designed the game to make you stay closer to the ground, is you pass that barrier you just kep on going and you have minimal control, if your going straight up and keep going just turn off our engines and you will float back down than just fire them up again when ur near the 250 line, but with heat guided missiles, theres a trick, shoot one let them waste there flares than fire the remainder than follow up with machine gun should finish it off
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
          the reason you "felt like you got shot" is because you cannot go above 250(m?) up, they designed the game to make you stay closer to the ground, is you pass that barrier you just kep on going and you have minimal control, if your going straight up and keep going just turn off our engines and you will float back down than just fire them up again when ur near the 250 line, but with heat guided missiles, theres a trick, shoot one let them waste there flares than fire the remainder than follow up with machine gun should finish it off
          Ya I know about the ceiling, I get caught in it all the time hah. But I was not talking about that as far as the shaking and crashing noise goes, it seems like that happens almost randomly, although it might be more frequent when going straight. The screen shakes and and you get the noise but you get full control after that (unlike the hitting the ceiling). I have had it happen right above the ground and at pretty much all heights. Is no one else getting this?

That is a good tip for the missiles though. I will have to try that.

Comment

ahhh ok, I know you get bumped and rocked form the landing gear going up, but yeah otherwise I have felt some shaking and I think 1n7r3p1d is right, its just turbulence perhaps.

As for jets though, Im just getting used to my joystick again :p I also think they should make the Yaw settings more effective, you barely turn when you use them
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

The shaking and crashing is, as best I have been able to determine, a result of the server missing or failing to properly handle your packets, and then jerking you back when the next one arrives milliseconds later. Call it lag if you like, but it's a communication issue between the client and the server.

On engagements: If you want to affect the ground war, Laser Guided Missiles and Beam Scanning upgrades are a must. A standard attack run for me proceeds as follows:
              1) Identify the target. Listen for audio cues from soldiers on the ground q spotting, or keep your minimap open as far as it can.
              2) Use prior knowledge of the map and determine the optimum assault path. "Luckily", BF3 barely shipped with any maps, they're small, and all similar enough that memorizing the layout is an easy task. Assume the tank driver is thinking two dimensionally and will back away from where he perceives the danger to be. Do a flyby if you need to (with MG equipped, don't spook him with the lockon yet)
              3) Bring yourself in line with your attack vector. I try to come out of the sun whenever possible, but always descend from the magic stall ceiling. Beam Scanning means you'll pull lock after 1-1.5 seconds. If he pops smoke and backs away, you'll have to follow him back and re-lock.
              4) Fire the Laser Guided missile and IMMEDIATELY switch to guns, draw a bead, and put down as much as you can onto the tank. This is the trickiest part, but the most critical one. I suggest learning to fire the missile at the same time you nose down to begin the gunrun. If you manage a second or two of continuous hits after an LGM hit, you'll disable the tank.
              5) It's up to you if you think you can come around again in time for the kill. If they have an engineer, it's generally extremely difficult to down a tank, unlessss, you have sharp enough senses to see the engineer hop out. Position your next attack vector to put the hapless guy between the missile and the tank, so that the missile will push him into the tank and detonate, netting you a kill, and a window for a third pass to kill the tank.

On AtA, it's all down to timing. I heavily suggest learning how to do reliable gunkills, thus freeing up your secondary weapon for LGMs. If you get into a scissors maneuver, your best bet is to break vertical or hold down your lower throttle button to force them to overshoot. If you are going to use the ata missiles, dilweed has the right answer. Fire one, wait for flares, restablish lock, and fire the other.

Also, try holding down your rudder when you're flying. You'll soon find yourself flying sideways, it's quite fun, and difficult to follow in an enemy jet.

Comment

I get the shaking/bouncing thing every time I fly, no idea what its all about. And the aircraft are incredibly frustrating to fly without 3d spotting, I wish there was some sort of HUD overlay that tracked targets or something. Also, AtA missiles have such a short engagement zone that you have a very small window to hit a helicopter if you're flying at it; they acquire lock when you're like 40 feet from them.

Comment

As someone who likes flying helos I probably shouldn't be telling you this, but I would say it's probably best not to try to get A2A lock on helos with the jets (unless you are coordinating with another jet or some stingers on the ground). All you do with A2A missiles is let them know you're coming and give them time to bug out. Just line up on them and lay into em with guns. Guns chew them up and also make them more difficult to fly when they are being hit.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I'm starting to believe minigun is the way to go for air combat. The missiles have such a limited range that you'd do more damage with the gun before you got close enough to start acquiring a lock.

Comment

Well the problem with Guns and choppers is they can be crazy hard to spot. So part of your approach is spent just finding the chopper. Then you have to line up the shot, which leave little time for time on target with the guns. Then just hope your plane does not go crazy shaky time. Maybe I just need more practice but I have not had much success killing choppers with guns.

Comment

I've yet to unlock the guided missiles yet, but I imagine two pilots working together to do a duel ATG missile shot would be the most effective use of jets for ground engagements.

Comment

Personal experience using the stinger/igla(not sure how they compare to the aircraft based AA), I find the range to be ridiculously short. Planes, and helos can pop flares on my first missile and generally high tail out of my range before I can reacquire. I've seen planes go into tight turns right or left and somehow my 3 foot long stinger cant keep the turn with them and harmlessly blow up behind the plane. Helos by alternating pilot and copilot poping flares can effectively keep me from ever locking them.

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
                            Helos by alternating pilot and copilot poping flares can effectively keep me from ever locking them.
                            Wha? Choppers get two sets of flares?

Comment

they do???
                              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X