SOP for pilots?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOP for pilots?

It sucks having a pilot or two in your squad because then you're stuck in a half-effective squad. So I was thinking... At if it's SOP for pilots to not join any squad? Then it frees up some extra slots for players to move around. I could also imagine teamsync grouping all the non-squad members together into a [defacto, air] channel in TS3.

I haven't thought it out all the way, but I figured I'd throw it out there for discussion. :)

Re: SOP for pilots?

When I fly I leave my squad, though I'd probably mute the default channel to not distract me (currently I just go down to my IHS channel if I am flying), I'd love to be able to talk with the other pilot though.

Comment

I hate when i have a few infantry stuck in my pilot squad :)

Why not just have all the pilots join the same squad?
      Also why only pilots? What about tank/apc drivers, where should they go?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buflak View Post
        I hate when i have a few infantry stuck in my pilot squad :)

Why not just have all the pilots join the same squad?
        Also why only pilots? What about tank/apc drivers, where should they go?
        well typically when someone takes armor they usually role to where there squad is to support them, at least that's what I have seen. I think it's a god idea to not join a squad if you intend on flying....unless it's the transport chopper
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Armor can work with a squad or with multiple squads rolling to different areas as needed. Tanks of course can't pick up infantry so they get outpaced and APCs don't always need to take the squad with them depending on the situation. At the very least they need voice coms with their top gunner, being in on team coms would be good as well. They need a squad in game to allow the second engi to respawn if he gets taken out.

Aircraft could use squad coms for SOFLAM designation, coordination with mobile/static/handheld AA, and covering each other. If they can be dropped into a teamspeak channel of unassigned that would be okay although it does hinder the quick map look of where their designator/handheld AA man is.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
            I could also imagine teamsync grouping all the non-squad members together into a [defacto, air] channel in TS3.
            So either there won't be a squadless kick at all to let pilots stay in the "not-in-squad" channel in which case anyone else can stay there, or there will be a squadless kick and pilots just all join the same squad.

I guess i just don't see the advantage of this. We have 8 squads with 4 players each, that's exactly 32 slots. Not like we don't have enough spots for all players.
            sigpic

Comment

I just don't see how we can get all the pilots into one squad... given the current clunky nature of the squad system.

Comment

I just don't see how we can get all the pilots into one squad... given the current clunky nature of the squad system.
                It'd be a good start, but having some ground coordination with a spotter could be super destructive. I don't have the SOFLAM unlocked yet, but I'm hoping you can have a spotter coordinate strafing/bombing runs and clear areas very quickly. I should have it unlocked in a day or so if anyone wants to try it out.

Comment

Maybe the SOP could be that:

In a aircraft or coordinating with them? Join Squad 8 or H whatever it is called

Not in an aircraft? Make sure you aren't in that squad

Might end up with some overflow on the more aircraft heavy maps, in which case they could join Squad 7/G. If the trans helos are used as gunships they'd almost need their own squad. This seems like a good starting point to me.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The real problem here is the limited number of squads. Previously, you could run a 2 man tank or helo squad. With a full server, it's no longer possible.

While we should have squads that are a mix of infantry and armor, it does not seem to work that way. Usually the part of the squad that is in the vehicle gets separated from the rest, whether due to poor coordination or distance. Additionally, with a four man squad, giving up two guys to run a tank leaves you with a pretty weak infantry squad.

Tank and helo crews must be in comms to be effective. However, mixing two vehicle crews together into the same squad (assuming we could get that done) is going to result in a lot of noise.

I see no easy solutions...

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                      Maybe the SOP could be that:

In a aircraft or coordinating with them? Join Squad 8 or H whatever it is called

Not in an aircraft? Make sure you aren't in that squad

Might end up with some overflow on the more aircraft heavy maps, in which case they could join Squad 7/G. If the trans helos are used as gunships they'd almost need their own squad. This seems like a good starting point to me.
                      Negative, Hotel is MY squad.

Comment

Agree with an air squad given that the wacky squad system works out. For now not being in a squad seems more efficient. I don't know very much about TS but a separate air channel in TS that anyone on the team(or just SLs) could chime into would allow for some nice air and ground coordination.

Comment

Honestly, there doesn't need to be a LOT of coordination given the HUD. When a target's lazed, there's a giant red bomb icon floating right above the target. It's impossible to miss (seeing it). Pilots should be kept in the loop of course - if there's a major push on an objective they can help with e.g. But generally they can operate fairly autonomously and help when targets of opportunity appear on the HUD.

Comment

Ground troops communicating with Air pilots/gunners is what makes them effective. Otherwise, the pilots are just running around shooting whatever by themselves.

It's that chopper or jet pilot that can save your ass when that pilot gets a call out, for example, a tank at gas station on Caspian and that a squad is suppressed and needs help. Then that pilot can come in a make a difference at that pivotal moment; they can contribute to the team.

Just as your squad would be less effective without a medic or a engineer, the team is incomplete without the pilots to support you.

This is where I am going to make the following suggestion for changes in TG Teamspeak:

Instead of making 8 squad channels per team to fit all the players, change it so that there are combined channels. The teamspeak channels would then look like this:

Battlefield 3
                            -Lobby
                            --Server 1
                            ---Team 1
                            ----Alpha/Bravo Squads
                            -Joe Snuffy
                            -Random Guy
                            -Glycerin
                            -SuperPilot
                            -Leet Infantry Bro
                            -SuperTG21
                            -Trogdor53
                            ----Charlie/Delta Squads
                            ----Echo/Foxtrot Squads
                            ----Golf/Hotel Squads
                            ---Team 2
                            ----Alpha/Bravo Squads
                            -Pure_Ox_
                            -EvilTodd
                            -DocGuo
                            -General_Alvin
                            -Samirnewark
                            -SeriousTurtle
                            -Lien
                            -Battledragun
                            ----Charlie/Delta Squads
                            ----Echo/Foxtrot Squads
                            ----Golf/Hotel Squads

This will give you all the things you are asking for except the additional squad member spawn points. Benefits include:

-More communication because more information from a greater amount of people (but not too many)
                            -More teamwork on actionable intelligence
                            -other benefits (that you will post up)

There are downsides, I know, feel free to post your thoughts either way! It's just an idea.

Thx for reading, maybe it will create a better environment for those TGers out there.
                            -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

It sucks having a pilot or two in your squad because then you're stuck in a half-effective squad. So I was thinking... At if it's SOP for pilots to not join any squad? Then it frees up some extra slots for players to move around. I could also imagine teamsync grouping all the non-squad members together into a [defacto, air] channel in TS3.

I haven't thought it out all the way, but I figured I'd throw it out there for discussion. :)
                              Remember the discussion about squad setups in a team? All pilots should be in one squad because it makes sense for them to work together to control the ground and air. A SL technically could call out for laser targets but thats as easy as typing something along the same lines in team chat while flying. The problem with this being a "SOP" is that there is no way to tell players in game that they have to be in the same squad (say Hotel) for this purpose. This doesnt work when the server is full and it doesnt work when there aren't any designated pilots. Plus you'd have to have this being said in the chat channel by admin, which can be spamming if there are already some rules being said there.

Then again, it doesn't have to be about the pilots. The two people could move squads, or they could 2 man squad and play a different style given they don't have a full squad anymore. I guess the elegant solution would to make the teamspeak sync tool put all pilots (airplanes at least) into the same channel, but again you won't be able to force people to move squads in game, or auto move them back after. Even if the squad management system was simplified so it was less clicks, this still would be a hassle due to people wanting to fly to gain experience (now they have to leave squad just so they can fly for 1m before blowing up). Then they cant get back in your squad. That sounds terrible to me as its a convenience for us infantry, but a inconvenience to the pilots especially since planes don't instantly respawn. It's almost like penalizing someone for jumping in a plane.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X