Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF3 Jets - Preferred Loadout?

What's your loadout?

Currently I run with stealth, extinguishers, and mavericks (I know rockets are better, but missiles are fun)

I've been alternating between flares and extinguisher and I am not sold on which one is better...both of them have saved my life, and gotten me killed countless times.

Also, I assume the "below radar" perk doesn't actually do anything currently?, I've noticed enemy jets can still get sidewinder lock on me despite going low to the ground. Hopefully that's just a bug and will be fixed because I think with that perk it makes extinguishers a more attractive option.

Re: Question to Pilots

My preferred loadout right now is Beam tracking + extinguisher + laser guided missiles on standard server. Seeing that so little SOFLAM are being deployed, it is better if I take things into my own hands. Will just have to dodge Heat-seeking missiles manually and dogfight with cannon.

On hardcore server though, I'd use Air Radar + ECM Jammer + laser guided missiles. With Air Radar, no reason why I should be taking auto-cannon fire from bandits; and without the situational awareness of the outside cockpit view and 3D spotting, you'll pretty much need the radar to keep track of threats.

If I get shot down in the sky by a bandit twice, I'd switched laser guided missiles to heat seekers to get avenger bonus.

So far the general consensus with Below Radar is: its bugged. I do have situations where I was hugging the ground and still being locked.

Comment

On TG: Beam Scanning + IR Flares + LGMs
      On servers with 3d spotting enabled: Stealth + IR Flares + LGMs

Extinguisher is only useful after you're already screwed, and it won't buy you much time to get clear of a potential threat. IR flares help avoid damage in the first place, which is always preferable. Stealth makes you harder to lock onto, but also reduces both the window for spotting and the time you're spotted, which is more useful to me than being able to lock onto a target a second sooner. I've found that the rocket pods are too difficult to normalize damage wise for me, too many rockets hit and don't do damage, or otherwise fail to make a noticeable impact on the target.

Comment

It really changes on a round by round basis. I like stealth, extinguishers, and LGM, but I'll dial-in as much anti-AA as necessary.

If there are a bunch of stinger toting-engineers, and the jets/helo are targetting me w/ AA, then I'll run full anit-AA, which is stealth + flares. (it doesn't seem ECM works?)

It also depends on the map. On caspian, there's not much to fly behind to break lock, so I almost always take stealth and flares. On Kharg and Firestorm, I'm always hugging the mountains to avoid/break locks... So on those maps I usually go extinguisher and then either stealth or radar (again, depending on how good the opposing pilots are and how active ground-based-AA is).

Comment

Re: BF3 Jets - Preferred Loadout?

ECM works. Just that so far the jamming period is IMHO a bit too short and the cooldown too long. It's pretty much like flares now: more than one source of heat-seeker coming at you and you're toast.

Considering it is a last upgrade, I was expecting something better. Anybody able to use ECM to good effect?

Comment

ir flares, stealth, and almost have lgm's, im debating between lgm's and missile pods
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

For my loadout I prefer to have a squad or team that is willing to communicate targets. No weapon system will matter as much as a good teammate or 2 supporting you.
              -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

there ya go :D agreed agreed, whos gonna laze targets for ya XD
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by DinLouz View Post
                  ECM works. Just that so far the jamming period is IMHO a bit too short and the cooldown too long. It's pretty much like flares now: more than one source of heat-seeker coming at you and you're toast.

Considering it is a last upgrade, I was expecting something better. Anybody able to use ECM to good effect?

I haven't flown jets with ECM in the game but I teach about it real life in the army. Cool down period.....ridungikolous.
                  sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                  Former ARMA Admin
                  Former ARMA TGU instructor
                  Former TGU Headmaster
                  Current Noob
                  Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

So, yeah. I finally got my 360 controller set up properly last night and had my first real match as a fighter pilot..

Started with nothing, unlocked both flares and hsm in the match, so I'm obviously using both of those.

The map was Firestorm.. which, while I thought was larger on ground, is absolutely tiny in a jet. Made me a little sad.

Comment

BELOW THE RADAR only works against HEAT-SEEKERS and ANTI-AIR MISSILES. It DOES NOT work against hand-held weapons such as, the IGLA, STINGER and JAVELIN. BELOW THE RADAR will only become ACTIVE after you have been FLYING at LOW ALTITUDES for 3 SECONDS. I just found that out and i also thought it did not do anything or worked when it wanted to.

Comment

My Jet Setup- Beam Scanning - ECM Jammer - Heat-Seekers/Guided-Rockets, either or. Beam Scanning is just awesome because it allows me to lock on to enemy air or ground vehicles so fast, the Jammer works the best for avoiding missiles plus gives you time to get out of site or shake your enemy, and the Heat seekers and Guided Rockets just lock on to vehicles so fast with Beam Scanning. I think these are the best setup since they are basically the last unlocks(Beam Scanning, ECM Jammer and Guided Rockets) for the Jets.

Comment

In any server

IR flares + Air Radar + Rocket pods = fun and dangerous.

Comment

Good stuff. Will move to tactics section when I get the chance.
                            Skud

Comment

On regular servers I run Air Radar, Flares, and Rocket Pods.
                              On TG I usually replace air radar for stealth because air radar takes away from ATG capability without 3D spotting. I may switch to air radar/guided missiles if I'm having trouble with an enemy pilot who is using air radar. That way I can be on level ground with them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X