Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dissapointed . . .. ...... ............... ... .. ..... ... ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissapointed . . .. ...... ............... ... .. ..... ... ...

After a few first nights of play I have enjoyed some teamwork here on TG and some of the visuals of BF3. But I have to say my expectations were very high and was hoping to get close to my experiences on POE. No dice. I am very disappointed since I had no idea what to expect. All the effort was put in to visual effects and nothing into more effective game play. It looks like Dice decided to go for mass PS3 kid appeal and building their brand. I would rather have them pursued a direction influenced by a more sophisticated crowd that could extent the game play by adding to what they had in BF2 and seen in BF2 mods. The engine is nice but I sure do miss an effective squad and full-team all working together for one purpose.

I am sure this has been hashed out in many other threads but I needed to vent because Dice had a great opportunity here and I was hoping they could do just a bit better or at least match the game experience as before.

Are those days a thing of the past?

Issues I see that could be improved:
    No in game communication
    Little rewards for team work
    Small 4 man squads - cant effectively split a squad and accomplish much (need at least 6)
    No squad to squad communications
    No option for commander
    No arty

Re: Dissapointed . . .. ...... ............... ... .. ..... ... .

Come now,

We are building effective comms through the new TS system and exploring how to improve upon it.

TS provides an adequate substitute for in-game comms.

The reward for teamwork is a job well done and (often) a win.

Four man squads CAN be effectively split and CAN accomplish much.

We are working on a SL-to-SL solution.

Mortars are a powerful arty 'substitute'.

And as to commander, anything may happen.

I think a few nights trial may be a few nights too few . . .
    sigpic

Comment

Blood I share you disappointment in a number of areas, particularly in the squad management system but the items Emale point out are all critical to consider. Team up with a squad that is communicating. In the week or two since the release I've had some very very rewarding experiences that have all been based on excellent teamwork. Sure...some squads have been duds for whatever reason but most have been active and functioning. Moreover, this title has allowed me to team up with other active TGers that I may have never played with outside of BF3. Many of us have come from a variety of titles and experiences. ARMA was my thing for so long and the ARMA universe is quite insulated so now I'm grateful to be able to team up with some fine TGers from a number of other titles like 2142, RO, PR etc etc. Also--we've seen an influx of players to the TG server due to the launch and at least twice I've heard comments about the level of teamwork in the squad. Lead the way my man. If there is no leadership in your squad then provide them with some. You'd be surprised how many people WANT to be led but just don't know how to do it.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I think with the addition of spawning on any squad member, 4 is quite a reasonable number. If a squad was 6, they'd pretty much be unstoppable.

Comment

Yea I hear ya. I do need to play more and find squads that "team". I do have a history of enjoying leading squads so I am not shy about that. I was just reading that other thread essentially saying what I am saying. I also need to build my kit. Since I have nothing I took Nixon's kit last night and it became a very different experience. I think everyone should have the ability to get the same kits out of the gate as well. Some people have lots of time to get all the good stuff which makes introductions for new guys that more difficult and less satisfying to build to.

Comment

I saw you on the server after a long break and did not get a chance to say HI. I think I killed you once last night :) Welcome back.

Give yourself some time to play through the maps and learn the layouts. This game seems to be much more "in your face" where conquest can play out more like rush.

After you have played a week or so you will learn all of the places teams will rush to capture first and hold. Every map has a point or two that the community has determined are "must have". When you know those points you know what you are getting into and make your own decision to play in the grinder or work the perimeter.

Once you get that out of the way you can have a positive teamwork experience especially if everyone is in TS utilizing the teamsync. If not, at least willing to follow command orders and read chat.

As for lack of arty - people are getting very good at using mortars. I played a round on Seine Crossing this morning where 2 guys with mortars controlled almost the whole map on our side and had forward snipers making sure nobody got close to them. Pure hell.

One thing is for sure for everyone - this is not like the game they came from but I think all of us can find something we like and enjoy about it based on which part of the map we decide to play on and the role we play to support the greater team effort as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Blood View Post
              Yea I hear ya. I do need to play more and find squads that "team". I do have a history of enjoying leading squads so I am not shy about that. I was just reading that other thread essentially saying what I am saying. I also need to build my kit. Since I have nothing I took Nixon's kit last night and it became a very different experience. I think everyone should have the ability to get the same kits out of the gate as well. Some people have lots of time to get all the good stuff which makes introductions for new guys that more difficult and less satisfying to build to.
              Well...you aren't too far behind. The levels come pretty quick and in 8 weeks or so everyone will be just about level with everyone else. I also heard rumor we'll eventually run an unranked server so everyone will be equal with everyone and tactics will trump gimmickry.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I think comparing your experiences with BF3 (which has been out for a week) with POE (which has been out for years) isn't really fair. Have a little patience, and give TG a chance to adapt and grow into the game. In 3 months maybe you can start comparing the two, although even then I'm not sure it'd be fair.
                TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Comment

Hi JB good to hear from you man! I hear what your all saying I aint going nowhere lol. Just long for the POE days and I know you know what I mean with that. I am determined to help make BF3 as good in our experience but would like to see positive changes made (we can only do so much). I was talking with Nixon last night and its too bad the source code is not open as a POE mod on the Frosbite engine would be really cool. Hopefully we can at least get some basic improvements along the way. I do look forward to having some good squads and fun times ahead!

Blood

Comment

Blood, great to see you again. As has been stated already, stick with it. Get in some squads with good comms, and it feels like old times (just prettier). I had some great rounds this evening, with the disconnects and all.

Comment

S'all about the $$$$$. Why listen to a hundred thousand whiney PC gamers when you can cater to millions of kids on consoles who will buy the game regardless of gameplay aspects. They just want to kill people. Maybe the zombie apocalypse wont be from a virus, but from brain shot 12 year olds...who knows. Im just glad there are even squads. And look at it this way, it could be COD! EEEEKS!
                      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Give it some time as there is a lot of good things about BF3. I am disapointed too in many ways but the game is still fun even though it is not the game I wanted or expected. The poor map designs just make all the little bad things about the game that much worse.
                        Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Everything is what you make of it. Certainly you can't make apples oranges, but you can still enjoy the yummy fruit that you have. BF3 might not have exactly everything one could want, but we can get some fantastic teamwork going.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                            . And look at it this way, it could be COD! EEEEKS!
                            Says the little squeaky voiced kid we COD guys watched grow up since COD4
                            :D
                            I remember when your voice would crack in the mic :)

On topic, like others have said it's what you make of it. But, if your going to make the best of it anywhere.....it will be here in this community.
                            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Project thanks yes good indeed to hear from you also. I will stop my whining now and make the best of it. Perhaps Greasy Mullet can make some cool maps for us and help with the commo...ur there I go again.........See you all in game play.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X