SOFLAM / Javelin / LGM Availability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOFLAM / Javelin / LGM Availability

Having unlocked the SOFLAM earlier today I am wondering how others are doing on the unlocking of laser guided munitions. It would be interesting to see how teams could operate on larger maps to directly counter vehicular threats.

Current downsides are the immediate entry to camera view when using the SOFLAM, I also wish I could use it as a handheld unit, but perhaps I have played too much Arma.

It also gets targetted very quickly by OPFOR, I guess nobody likes being painted by a bright laser!

Re: SOFLAM / Javelin / LGM Availability

I always run LGM when flying, if you see me in a jet light it up and I'll put a missile up their tailpipe.

Comment

I have the javelin....wish more guys would tag with the SOFLAM
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I got both the SOFLAM and the Javelin. I'm up to air radar for the jet, but I'm working on getting the LGM.

I always use SOFLAM on vehicles when I'm recon. Nobody seem to care though, even if I call it out on team chat.

Comment

I would like to see more Recon players running the SOFLAM. I've taken to running the Javelin on my engineer, and I often find myself wishing for a recon to tag a plane or a helicopter, or just anything at all so that I can start firing.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I'm a few hundred points away from it, been working the shotgun with recon to crank out the points while sticking with the squad. I'm pretty excited to see how this will develop as people unlock more weapons and gadgets, it seems like its going to be pretty effective. I think it'll end up mitigating armor regeneration.

Comment

I just about unlocked the CITV station for the tank. I'm excited to see what difference it might make in a good mechanized squad.
              MrBadass_88 -Tactical Gamer since 2005-

Comment

The Javelin can target air assets? I was not aware of that.

Out of curiosity though, what happens if you set up the SOFLAM on top of a tank? Will it ride around on the tank and auto-designate or get demolished the first time the tank moves under it?
                My sanity is not in question...
                It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I run the javy and am always looking for SOMFLAM targets. The biggest problem I'm see right now is ground targets not remaining lazzed long enough for the javy to hit. Once fired the rocket goes straight up and drastically increases its time to target. Air targets however get absolutely obliterated by the soflam/javy combo.

Comment

I can testify to the effectiveness of the SOFLAM. Javelin operators are typically vulnerable as they have to leave themselves exposed to achieve a lock, but with the SOFLAM they can lock and fire behind cover with increased range. Without 3D spotting, pilots have a hard time spotting ground vehicles, SOFLAMs help with that problem, even jets without LGM can see a SOFLAM lase.

-Babui

Comment

Totals for today:
                      Targets Designated with the SOFLAM: 36
                      Targets Engaged by any friendly player: 14
                      Targets Destroyed by any freindly player: 1
                      Chat lines spoken with regards to asking for Engineers/Jets/Anyone: 27

I am going to regard this as a learning experience, not the abysmal failure it felt like. Not sure what I learned, other than no one reads the chatbox, and no one in my squads on TS have any weapons capable of engaging any of the targets, or won't use them.

Comment

In just speaking to a handful of people, it seems like a lot of people don't have weapons unlocked that are capable of attacking lased targets yet. I'm still 4-5 unlocks away from the javelin, didn't realize it was so high up the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                          The Javelin can target air assets? I was not aware of that.
                          Only if its lased. The tooltips make it sound like the Stinger/IGLA can target lased ground units too, but I haven't been able to verify that.
                          I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Yeah I have really had no luck with SOFLAM or City Station causing anyone to die. Looks like it needs more squadwork and won't happen on its own.

Comment

I am finding the SOFLAM less than impressive, I hope it will stay on my kit as I think its of most benefit to the team, but the tripod unit is too easy to spot, especially with the bright laser (do real units even designate in the visible spectrum?)
                              The deployment is causing problems as well, when I desperately need it down it will not go to a yellow deployment pattern, always red.
                              I have managed several locks, only a couple have resulted in strikes due to either the javelin handler being kia, or the unit being destroyed - should these strikes do more damage? A javelin to the top of a tank should surely disable it with a direct hit? Currently needing 2 or more strikes makes retianing the lock for the duration of missile flight very difficult!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X