Leadership In Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leadership In Game

Had a few good rounds tonight. Managed to get the entire team to work together and we managed to win by almost 200 tickets on the mine level. It was pretty intense. I decided to try and press my luck and give guidance on the next few rounds. Had a few people actually asking what the game plan was, what points to focus on etc. Then was promptly told to basically STFU by a tagged TG member while trying to direct a defense on the map with the river and two bridges. So I did. And we lost by 300 tickets because no one was stepping up to try and organize anything. Everyone was basically running around wildly.

I find it very hard to believe that while we stress taking charge and working as a team some turn right around and tell those actively leading to just shut up. I apologize for trying to bring cohesion.

If someone is saying "Maybe we should focus on this/these point(s) because we are losing to many tickets elsewhere" maybe you should take it into consideration. Not very many players are willing to step up and try to direct more than a 4 man squad. So when someone does try and work with them to achieve whatever it is needs to be achieved.

Its late and my pain meds are kicking in so I will stop here before I start to ramble even more and/or make comments about the pink unicorns flying helicopters.

TLDR: If someone is trying to lead help them and support them. Offer advice, or help plan tactics. Don't tell them to shut up. It doesn't help to reinforce what TG is all about.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: Leadership In Game

I'd like to congratulate you for stepping up to lead. People keep wishing the game had a commander position and I've always thought why not someone just step up and take charge. For the most part it seemed to work except for a group here and there were doing their own thing.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
      ... Then was promptly told to basically STFU by a tagged TG member while trying to direct a defense on the map with the river and two bridges. So I did. And we lost by 300 tickets because no one was stepping up to try and organize anything. Everyone was basically running around wildly. .
      You should have promptly reported it to an admin and had them removed from the server. If it was in chat, I would hope that the admin team could track it and do what needs to be done.

This is the kind of thing that brought about my wild-west comment earlier. Even when we have them bleeding, some people insist on spreading the jelly too thin... then bam! no flags. There seems to be less respect for tactical gameplay that has been replaced by a whack-A-mole attitude. It is as if fewer players understand the value of defense.

Yes Project, I am complaining again. :P
      theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
      E Pluribus Unum
      Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
      Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

What does "basically STFU" mean?
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
          What does "basically STFU" mean?
          STFU is "shut the f- up", so "basically STFU" probably means "they told me to shut up but not necessarily in these exact words".

Dredge - good work for stepping up and having a go, I'd love to be part of a team that has that kind of organisation.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
            Yes Project, I am complaining again. :P
            Here we go : )

This area was of course not in my cross hairs. I hope more people step up to lead. At the very least lead your individual squads, a good squad or two can help drive the trajectory of the whole team. While many companies I have worked at have 'dotted lines' of management, where you are basically leading by influence, I don't believe the military does nor should it. Without a commander, we would/will need a gentleman's agreement that we will respect an attempt to 'command' the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
              Had a few good rounds tonight. Managed to get the entire team to work together and we managed to win by almost 200 tickets on the mine level. It was pretty intense. I decided to try and press my luck and give guidance on the next few rounds. Had a few people actually asking what the game plan was, what points to focus on etc. Then was promptly told to basically STFU by a tagged TG member while trying to direct a defense on the map with the river and two bridges. So I did. And we lost by 300 tickets because no one was stepping up to try and organize anything. Everyone was basically running around wildly.

I find it very hard to believe that while we stress taking charge and working as a team some turn right around and tell those actively leading to just shut up. I apologize for trying to bring cohesion.

If someone is saying "Maybe we should focus on this/these point(s) because we are losing to many tickets elsewhere" maybe you should take it into consideration. Not very many players are willing to step up and try to direct more than a 4 man squad. So when someone does try and work with them to achieve whatever it is needs to be achieved.

Its late and my pain meds are kicking in so I will stop here before I start to ramble even more and/or make comments about the pink unicorns flying helicopters.

TLDR: If someone is trying to lead help them and support them. Offer advice, or help plan tactics. Don't tell them to shut up. It doesn't help to reinforce what TG is all about.
              Good work Dredge. As for the guilty party, I am expecting a reply to my PM so I can have a little word with them, that behaviour is unbecoming of a tagged TG player..............

Comment

Kudos to you Dredge. Sad that a tagged member would not take advice. Shows immaturity on so many levels. Wise men listen and take into consideration........while immaturity thinks it knows it all.
                "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Thanks for your efforts Dredge. As a new TG member I'm trying to be a diligent squad member. The times I get made the SL by the game puts me into a blind panic at the moment, so I'm very appreciative of anyone that wants that role!

Comment

Coiled if you ever need any help or want any tips or advice by all means hit me up! I love seeing people step up

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Great job Dredge. I think I was on the losing side of that map but we gave it a go for sure.

I can see your point clearly and a number of times I've sent team text messages asking for air support or infantry support when my own squad needed it. Things like "need air support at B" or " Need help on the ground at docks" It's really not effective because sometimes the chat really gets lost during the busy battle.

We really need to set up those whisper keys for Squads I think. This will go a long way towards more cohesive whole scale teamwork. As a unit the 1st has been looking at this as well and we are looking at developing two squad assault and defense strategies at specific flags. Exciting stuff. Our work with ARMA has proven that TS can be a very effective tool when utilizing all of the various whisper features. It can be done and noone knows this more than Dredge and Jeepo.

RE: TG Tags.

It's time to say it. New guys listen up. Putting a TG tag on your battle log profile so that [TG] shows in game does not make you a TacticalGamer. If you are wearing those tags you better realize more is expected from you than other players and when you misstep more shall be exacted. The snarky STFU response tells me TG is not the place for you. I would suggest you remove those tags until you understand a bit more about what I'm talking about. It's not something you get just by reading the primer but more of something you earn by your actions AND attitude in game.

@ Admin staff. I humbly request you bring the hammer down on TG tagged players acting in a manner unbecoming. Get the message out early and often as we are in the early days of BF3.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Dredge, don't let the experience turn you away from leading squads. Good SL's are hard to come by, and a lot of us in the community NEED someone to step up, take charge, and give out orders. It makes for a more fun game experience. Don't let one bad apple ruin that for you, and especially for us (those who *needs* a SL!!)
                        You know what attract bullets the most in Battlefield 3?? MY HEAD!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Dont worry Talos. I will still be in game filling the chat with guidance :D

I found it worked very well and the defense of the mine was on a level of epic gaming not normally seen lol. It was a firefight from hell to be sure!

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by CoiledTortoise View Post
                            Thanks for your efforts Dredge. As a new TG member I'm trying to be a diligent squad member. The times I get made the SL by the game puts me into a blind panic at the moment, so I'm very appreciative of anyone that wants that role!
                            You were a great SM the other day on Damavand. Kudos, good sir! I hope to squad up with you in the future.

Also, I think all has been said that needs to be said regarding the STFU comment. Let's not make that the focus of this thread, please - we all know it's wrong, so let's move on.

Dredge - in what way were you leading the team? I mean, by text chat, or were you jumping between TS channels to talk to individual squads? I'd be interested to know how it's done, I plan on SLing more in BF3 than I did in PR or 2142.
                            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Wish I could've been there
                              Current member of the

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse