Legends Tell...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legends Tell...

...of a legendary game long ago in a age of legends. A heavenly game, charged by destiny to create world peace, end disease and famine... and provide a multiplayer gaming experience the like of which the world had never seen before. No, I refer not to MarioKart on the Wii, but instead to that most perfect of games. Battlefield 2.

But legends are just that legends. As days go by, the flight of imagination takes flight and flies around, sprinkling happy dust on everything that has gone by. Said happy dust colors our memories, and makes us rather forget those ills we've lived through than live with the ones we've got now. What was in truth a time of great peril and frustration, in our mind's eye becomes a golden age of gaming goodness. How fallible are we, to fall victim to such tricks of the mind.

For, deep within those legends lies a truth that has long been forgotten. A memory of a memory. A hint of... trouble? Cast thine mind back... no further. Even further. Yes. To the birth of Battlefield 2! To that very moment as it came forth from the womb. The Golden Child, come forth into the world in all its radiant glory! Wait. What's this? The umbilical cord was wrapped around it's neck? This baby isn't golden... it's a little blue in the face. And it's slimy. Is that hair or fur? ewww!

Is that the smell of bugs in the air? Why are all the child's diapers stamped with the words "Patch 1.3" and "There is a problem with your connection"? Wait a second. I was behind cover. How did that bullet... you little bastard! Is this thing on? Can anyone hear me? Are you there, VOIP? Did you abandon me? Well, at least I can finish this little book I've been reading called "War and Peace" while I wait for the next level to load... Why is the ground shaking? Will this parachute EVER go away? I landed ten minutes ago! Why do you look dead? Why is your arm sticking out like that? Where did your weapon go? How did you teleport to the top of that ladder briefly before actually climbing up?

I'd keep going, but frankly I just got a little bored trying to remember all the various bugs BF2 had. It wasn't a perfect game on release. And some of the patches made some things worse, not better. No BF3 isn't perfect. It never will be. Just like BF2 wasn't and still isn't perfect. It is what it is, and it will get better with time. So take off the rose colored glasses, and give the game a chance. Or at the very least quit bitching and whining about everything here on the TG forums. None of us are on the development team. None of us can fix anything. We can either choose to come together as a community and make the most of the game the way it is, or bring negative, whiny attitudes into the server, forums and teamspeak every day and ruin it as much as possible. Yes, BF3 is a fat panda. But it also just might be the Dragon Warrior! Think about it ;)
    TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Re: Legends Tell...

me gusta :D:icon14:

Comment

Well said Crux. You hit upon everything I've wanted to say, it's hard to imagine that the game just came out a little over a week ago!

Comment

Hey, I like fat pandas! They're the cutest, and they seem to have the best attitudes.

In the words of the great Master Oogway, "Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be." :)

It'll get there. We just have to be patient--and have some fun in the meantime. :) Good post.

Comment

I too remember the legends, even now, I keep vigil over their promises.

But alas, they harken back to a time when DICE didn't lie to our faces about who the game was aimed at.

Edit: SuperDude, no, I don't, each map to me is usually a crystal clear example of the design choices that the game they came with exemplified, as well as highly unique color schemes to each game.

Comment

+rep. You painted a picture in my mind of a game that was perfect, while also having its flaws. Well done.

Thinking back, it's easy to remember the best parts of BF2 and how we wish we could have those things again. But it certainly had its flaws, and the oh so many patches that made it better and worse. I know my system would sure run it on super duper high settings, but I think if I actually tried to play it again, I'd be disappointed. I think BF3 has stepped it up, especially with the destructible environment (not just buildings, like BC2). Can't wait to see what it'll become (and to get my end of semester paycheck for the $400 of upgrades I need to make the game really look pretty).

Question: Does anyone else sometimes have a hard time remembering which BF game a certain map was in? I find myself doing that all the time.

Comment

It took me a few years to get the BF2 CO- and Q- spotting spam out of my head.

The voices . . .
              The voices . . .

They tell me to burn things.
              sigpic

Comment

Ha Ha, great stuff Crux, you are right, complaining and moaning about the game on these forums (of which I am guilty) only serves as a vent for your frustration, the developers are not here, they have forums dedicated to giving feedback, go there and express your opinion in a mature and constructive manner, and let those that play the game enjoy it as much as they can.

Comment

Originally posted by e-male View Post
                  it took me a few years to get the bf2 co- and q- spotting spam out of my head.

The voices . . .
                  The voices . . .

lol

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

The voices . . .
                    The voices . . .

<left eye twitches>

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

The voices . . .
                      The voices . . .

Oh god, even at night, I can still hear them, mocking me..
                      Enemy Boat Spotted..

Comment

:icon14: I approve of this message! :icon14:

Comment

Originally posted by Crux View Post
                          the flight of imagination takes flight and flies around,
                          This is so deep :row__524:

Former TG-21st
                          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                            This is so deep :row__524:
                            I think I almost cried...and than rofl from the baby description

but otherwise, a very meaningful post *cough* (that should be listened too) *cough*
                            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

This was the game where he went 30-0 on 64/64 conquest metro without using a single RPG/M320, while fighting on the stairs leading up to B.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X