Vehicle Secondary Weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Secondary Weapons

I'm curious as to what people roll with when they hop into a vehicle.

Scout Helicopter: Heat Seekers vs Laser Guided
    Jets: Heat Seekers vs Rocket Pods vs Laser Guided
    IFV: ATGM Launcher vs LMG Coaxial vs APFSDS-T vs Guided Missile
    Attack Helicopter Pilot: Heat Seeker vs Guided Rocket
    Attack Helicopter Gunner: Guided Missile vs TV Missile
    MBT: LMG Coaxial vs HMG Coaxial vs Guided Shell vs Canister Shell

Okay, in all seriousness the only real choice is with the MBT. Personally I can't find a use for the HMG over the LMG because it doesn't seem to down infantry as fast with its slower ROF. I also haven't switched out my LMG for the guided shell because I'm pretty good at eyeballing ballistics to the point where I've shot down Helicopters and Jets from across the map. Granted, they weren't very good pilots, but I still laughed manically when it happened. Gonna unlock canister shot in a few thousand points, but I'm curious as to what people mount with their MBT and IFVs.
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Re: Vehicle Secondary Weapons

If you are using heat seekers with jets or helicopters you are doing it wrong in my opinion. The gun will almost always be more effective.

For MBT: canister shot all the way.

Comment

Attack Helicopter Pilot: Heat Seeker and Guided Rockets, you can have both at the same time.
      Attack Helicopter Gunner: TV Missile and thermals
      IFV: LMG if i have another engineer in the squad working with me, ATGM if not.
      MBT: LMG+Canister shells+thermals if i'm driving tank on an infantry map, LMG+zoom+reactive armor if i'm on a big map with other tanks or LMG+guided shells if i have a guy in the 3rd seat lazing targets.

I've found HMG on tanks to be useless due to their low rate of fire. As more people unlock CITV or other laser designation methods, guided shells will become a very powerful weapon.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buflak View Post
        MBT: LMG+guided shells if i have a guy in the 3rd seat lazing targets.
        Sadly, it seems that the 3rd seat is only available if the person has already unlocked it themselves.
        Twisted Firestarter
        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, its why I really REALLY want to finish off MBT so I can sit in that 3rd seat. Nice place for an engineer to sit since you unlock it so you can not only spot, but you can also hop out and leave both gun stations manned while you repair. Also...lets you hijack a tank for a ride if you don't feel like walking. ^_^

Also, for some reason some of the unlocks stay with you regardless of which seat you sit in. The gunner can deploy proximity scanning, but can't use thermal optics. Its somewhat interesting since the gunner can take Auto-loader and proximity while the driver takes IR smoke and repair and you'll have the benefit of all 4 unlocks. I'd only assume the CITV does the same so you could deck out a single tank with most of the unlocks by stacking them amongst the 3 seats.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
            Sadly, it seems that the 3rd seat is only available if the person has already unlocked it themselves.
            That's true.
            At least it doesn't take up an unlock slot, you don't have to equip it to use the 3rd seat.
            sigpic

Comment

I've now unlocked the CITV but have yet to have a decent ability to use it other than to hitch rides. It will be awhile yet until enough people have the Javelin and other fire and forget weapons.

I personally roll with LMG, Thermals, and Prox for most situations. I will sometimes switch to reactive armor if I see a trend with the other team actually being good at tanks, but the biggest threat in the MBT seems to be from infantry, so I focus on murdering them while keeping an eye out for tanks. That is strictly a solo attitude though. If I have a decent gunner, I will change the loadout with a bit less infantry focus and if I am in a VOIP squad, I'll change the loadout to reflect the current goals of the squad. A three person tank squad with a recon for Mav/SOFLAM is a very dangerous thing.
              MrBadass_88 -Tactical Gamer since 2005-

Comment

I am not leet enough to have many vehicle unlocks and thus do not have basic functionality.
                Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Alright, I unlocked and played around with the Canister shot and I'm sold on it hook line and sinker. It fires a nice cluster of rounds that travel at very high speed with very little bullet drop and do obscene amounts of damage. I could pick off a prone engineer from a roof top with a single round from a good distance away.

Though the true beauty of the canister shot is that it acts like a flak gun for anti-air purposes. With the high speed and little drop I was able to shoot helicopters and jets out of the air when they got low enough for my turret to track them. Also...a canister shot on a fully loaded transport copter creates a grisly rain of bodies as it kills everyone except the pilot. I expect it would do the same thing to a scout helicopter as well if it didn't blow it up right off.

For anti-tank combat it can trick a vehicle out of cover by making it sound like you fired off your round. Then you can follow up with the AP round and score a hit while you're backing up into your own cover. Also, I swear the canister bullets scatter wildly when it hits armor because I was picking up kills around the tank when I'd hit it directly with the shot.

Comment

I played around with the canister shot a bit and couldn't stand it. I was shooting people point blank with no kill. I'm going to have to give it another go around after hearing your praise for it.
                    MrBadass_88 -Tactical Gamer since 2005-

Comment

About the HMG:

HMG - The HMG is a slow firing weapon that 2 shots infantry. It has no cooldown and can fire forever compared to the LMG. It also has a much longer range than the LMG allowing you to snipe with it via optics, and hit targets 300m +. It can also fend off air sometimes depending on how accurate you are since the flat trajectory gives you more stability than firing the main cannon at helos. Most tank drivers in BF3 swear by the LMG and Canister shell however. There is a small group of HMG users who cannot go back to the LMG after mastering the HMG due to the range, damage and accuracy. Using the HMG is largely dependent on your style of play and whether you can land hits (rather than spam LMG at targets, or quick reflex shots with the canister shell).

Comment

Originally posted by Avs View Post
                        About the HMG:

HMG - The HMG is a slow firing weapon that 2 shots infantry. It has no cooldown and can fire forever compared to the LMG. It also has a much longer range than the LMG allowing you to snipe with it via optics, and hit targets 300m +. It can also fend off air sometimes depending on how accurate you are since the flat trajectory gives you more stability than firing the main cannon at helos. Most tank drivers in BF3 swear by the LMG and Canister shell however. There is a small group of HMG users who cannot go back to the LMG after mastering the HMG due to the range, damage and accuracy. Using the HMG is largely dependent on your style of play and whether you can land hits (rather than spam LMG at targets, or quick reflex shots with the canister shell).
                        That's pretty encouraging, the LMG feels useless whenever infantry aren't standing next to me.

Comment

Well, the LMG does have some bullet drop and you need a few rounds to drop someone, but if you compensate enough you can tag someone at a good distance. Canister shot has very little bullet drop and spreads out the further you go. You may not kill someone at a great distance with a single shot unless a ball tags them in the head, but you can certainly ruin their day.

What about the HMG against Armor? Does the HMG do light damage against tanks, IFVs, and APCs similar to the guns on air assets? If so, then that would make it excellent for winning a shooting match against an enemy tank without evasive maneuvers or the auto-loader.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                            Well, the LMG does have some bullet drop and you need a few rounds to drop someone, but if you compensate enough you can tag someone at a good distance. Canister shot has very little bullet drop and spreads out the further you go. You may not kill someone at a great distance with a single shot unless a ball tags them in the head, but you can certainly ruin their day.

What about the HMG against Armor? Does the HMG do light damage against tanks, IFVs, and APCs similar to the guns on air assets? If so, then that would make it excellent for winning a shooting match against an enemy tank without evasive maneuvers or the auto-loader.
                            HMG does not damage MBTs or IFVs. It does damage light vehicles like the Humvee or Vodnik if you're having some strange problem with shooting it via the main cannon. It does not replace the main cannon as the primary means of destroying armor however.

The thing about the HMG/Canister Shot/LMG is that if you have a wicked gunner (one who does not need thermal to shoot infantry with), you can opt for guided shell. Guided shell gives you an edge against armor in many matchups (though it has a long cooldown). It can also hit air targets and destroy them almost instantly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X