Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demize answering questions on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...efield_3_amaa/

Demize is answering (aswell as dodging) some questions regarding BF3 on Reddit.com
    He is not disclosing any new revolutionary information, but I found it to be interesting to read.

Q: Think there may be a chance of a BF 2143? Perhaps as an xpac for BF3 or something? Titan mode was soo much fun, it would definitely blow my mind to play that **** on the new engine. :D

A: its definitely a popular topic in the office. That and ME and even Codename Eagle! There's never a shortage of ideas, just time. :)
    "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Re: Demize answering questions on reddit

Hardly any mention of VoIP or squads. Not good.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

too bad voip isn't a popular topic.....sigh
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Yeah it will probably not happen anytime soon.
        "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
          too bad voip isn't a popular topic.....sigh
          It is, theyre just not making a big deal out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
            It is, theyre just not making a big deal out of it.
            I need links to back that up brah

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
              I need links to back that up brah

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
              Back what up? That it's a big deal or that DICE/EA aren't making a too big of a deal about VOIP? Everyone here aswell as my friends and everyone else from other communities i've played with are disappointed that there is no VOIP. DICE/EA hasnt come up with a straight answer since release so it's safe to say it's not a priority. How can I provide "a link" for that..

Do not want to derail the topic so please follow up in a pm if needed.

Comment

DICE doesn't want to deal with VOIP because they have nothing to do with the current VOIP system. Whoever that 3rd party company is that create SONAR and hence the Party VOIP system is the one that has to do it. So I think DICE isn't saying anything about it because they know it's a touchy subject and they hope we forget about it (Which will NEVER happen for me) or because they don't know jack.

I think it's a combo of both but it won't stop me poking them constantly about it.
                "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I am at a loss for words here. If I'm reading this right, the game thinks the LAV is waterborn, all the time. Is this why it "floats" so much more control wise than the tanks?
                  Originally posted by http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/me7x0/iama_core_gameplay_designer_on_battlefield_3_amaa/c307dg0
                  Mmm, the LAV floats. Float physics are... well, set so they don't sink. So when the game thinks it's going so fast that it will sink, the gives it upwards buoyancy, throwing it across the map, or backwards.

Battlefield, the original Physics Game.

Comment

no substance at all.
                    [TG]epheneh

Comment

I thought this was interesting to read:
                      Why are all the maps more balanced for 32 (48) players?

(64 player conquest Metro being the prime example)

parent

[–]Demize99[S] 28 points 8 hours ago

We looked at the mst popular 64 player maps in BF2, generally they were the maps that took a 32 player setup, grew it a bit and then added players to promote a higher pace and player density. While I recognize that is not ALL players, the numbers are pretty clear that say, 64 player Karkand is more popular than 64 player Oman. Even on 2142, where we actually only built 32 player versions of our urban maps servers were often cramming 64 players into that space.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Meatgrinders FTW!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post

We looked at the mst popular 64 player maps in BF2, generally they were the maps that took a 32 player setup, grew it a bit and then added players to promote a higher pace and player density. While I recognize that is not ALL players, the numbers are pretty clear that say, 64 player Karkand is more popular than 64 player Oman. Even on 2142, where we actually only built 32 player versions of our urban maps servers were often cramming 64 players into that space.
                          I find that interesting and disappointing at the same time.
                          Karkand was meatgrinder for sure.

|

Comment

Hahaha. So its our fault.

I do like meatgrinders, but not all the time. How did their analysis work?

People like Karkand.
                            Karkand is a meatgrinder.
                            Oman is not Karkand.
                            Make all maps like Karkand.
                            Remove all maps like Oman, because obviously people don't like it.

Comment

It is obvious these maps are not made with 64 players in mind and it is nice to see them basically admit it though it really does not help. As the maps are the number one issue with the game and the root of many other issues. I have gone over in previous threads as to why Karkand was so popular but will reiterate here. Karkand was a good map but nothing great; two issues contributed to maps like that being popular in BF2 and 2142.

Ranks and Unlocks. Unlike in previous Battlefield games you now had a reason to care about points. Where El Al, Gazala, Iwo, and Wake Ruled in 1942 over Stalingrad and Berlin; persistent points gave way to Karkand style maps. The ranks gave you bragging rights as well as equipment you may need/want for the Battlefield. Karkand provided one of the very best environments to rank up and rank up FAST! You could net litterally 5-6x the number of points in Karkand than you could on other maps like Zatar, Fushe, or Dragon.

Poor Vehicle Design Decisions. BF2 had a lot of problems with vehicles in my honest opinion. In particular with their air power balance. They never were able to get it right where many mods were able to balance it. This flaw turned many people off to the air maps where a good pilot could rape without much you could do. 2142 instead of trying to fix it they just removed planes all together and now in "BF3" they bring planes back but in a very limited way with not being on many maps and having to unlock basic functionality.

DICE has always done an amazing job with their maps before "BF3" but one area they could have improved in BF2 was to have more maps that gave players role options for in game and perhaps a few less flags. By this I mean making some parts of the map more vehicle dominate with clear objectives and other parts more geared towards infantry combat. It would take combined arms with something for EVERYONE to win the map. DICE recognized this in the "BF3" map designs but poorly executed it. I agree with them that for the most part on a 64 player map 5 flags is the sweet spot IF implemented correctly.

And this conversation about the map direction with "BF3" would not be complete without mentioning the MW series as from a mapping perspective they really took a lot of inspiration from MW with regard to map layout; choke points, flat linear designs; flag spacing; and meld vehicles into that. "BF3" maps might be much larger than MW maps but the designs share more with the MW series than the BF series.

As a long time fan and modder I am really frustrated with "BF3" as the product did not meet my expectations for a true sequel but at the same time I do see a lot of value and fun in the game and am certainly enjoying playing it with my fellow TG brothers and sisters. It is not crap by no means and is a solid stable title on it's own but does not deserve the title of Battlefield 3. But unless we get a map editor and the ability to run custom maps, I will keep waiting for a true Battlefield sequel.
                              Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X