Don't Rule out BF3 mods *yet*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Rule out BF3 mods *yet*

We are making some strides into BF3 modding. Currently unpackers (certain file types) are now working, along with re-packers. Some small modifications have been proven to work, nothing drastic tho. Don't count the modders our yet, as we are writing our OWN tools.

Re: Don't Rule out BF3 mods *yet*

:D my hero

Comment

That is great news, I wish I had some programming skills so I could help out, I do know how to make texture maps and have some skills with 3ds max although I am a bit rusty seeing as I no longer own a copy of max.

Best of luck with the modding folks, hope it goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach10 View Post
        We are making some strides into BF3 modding. Currently unpackers (certain file types) are now working, along with re-packers. Some small modifications have been proven to work, nothing drastic tho. Don't count the modders our yet, as we are writing our OWN tools.

Great to hear!! I just wish I could toggle off all the glowing icons all over the screen, and pull up a better (BF2 quality overhead map), a overhead spotting system--basically a commander class, and a few other things missing that were present in BF2 and Project Reality...

Comment

Keep up the pressure, those files can't hold forever. It's gotta feel like a tradition by now, writing DICE's mod tools for them.

:icon14:

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
            Keep up the pressure, those files can't hold forever. It's gotta feel like a tradition by now, writing DICE's mod tools for them.

:icon14:
            Modders make the best tools anyway. Even if DICE released an official toolset I can see them just making the modders live's just a little easier. ie. if they included a packer/unpacker tool with a full toolset modders would port that into their own toolset rather than use DICE's at some point.

Comment

Not to be a downer, but is EA/DICE allowing mods for BF3? And if not, is this something that TG would support/play?

Last I heard was that mods were allowed for bf3. Could be wrong though.

Comment

I have only heard them say they have not decided to release mod tools themselves yet. I have not heard any "death to mod creators" from them yet.

Former TG-21st
                Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

As far as I know the mods for BF2 were not easily done because the mod tools were non existent or just down right difficult to use, it required a talented team of programmers/artists to make PR and POE possible, the modders basically reverse engineered the files and gave us one of the most popular if not THE most popular games on TG...Project reality...which at the time of this post has 61 players on the server.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Good stuff! As far as modding goes, how far do you think you'd be able to go with changes to the game? I mean, would the creation of a commander position and 6-man squads be a possibility?
                    sigpic

Comment

If we were able to just make custom maps... it would change everything.
                      Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I don't believe BF games ever shipped with or were supported with mod tools. It was up to the community to reverse engineer everything and make their own tools.

Comment

Originally posted by weaponx77 View Post
                          Good stuff! As far as modding goes, how far do you think you'd be able to go with changes to the game? I mean, would the creation of a commander position and 6-man squads be a possibility?
                          There's one lasting lesson PR taught me over the course of its life, and that's that a dedicated and skilled group of modders can do things the game designers considered impossible, and in some cases, actively tried to prevent.

Comment

Afaik BF1942 was released without mod tools, BF2 was released with mod tools. Correct me if I'm wrong after all plz. But if I am indeed right, it's a stretch to say PR had to reverse engineer things. I'm sure they reverse engineered some things after the mod was running for some time, but I would think they started with the mod tools and very very simple mods only to accurracy etc. It was only after quite a long time into the mod that it started adding content. When TG started playing it PR had almost no content, and only a few maps.

OP: that is good news! If you guys succeed I'll definitely buy this game at a third the original price ty!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X