How big a monitor do you have??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big a monitor do you have??

So I have to paint my living room and thought that I would move the tv to a safe place. What better place than in my office replacing my 21" monitor! I tried a round this morning, Holy Crap!!!! It is quite the experience. You actually have peripheral vision sitting this close to that much screen. For reference here's what it looks like on the desk

My wife is gonna go nuts when she see's this! :D
    sigpic

Re: How big a monitor do you have??

I use a 32" 1080p TV :)

It hurts my twitch a little bit because you actually have to move your eyes to scan the screen. But it's just soo much more immersive, especially in vehicles.

Comment

I'm at a 23" lcd right now, it's good stuff. Make sure to increase your FOV to 90 instead of the default 60 or 70. It'll make a huge world of difference. The best example here is how that 2 gradually creeps in.

Comment

@mat552
        Yeah the FOV makes a huge difference. It was the first setting that I changed when I first started the game. I had it even higher in BC2 but I haven't bothered with the config file for BF3 to make it more yet.

@Iamthefallen
        I just ordered a 32" 1080p LED from a Cyber Monday deal, will hopefully be getting it tomorrow! It should be a little easier to handle than a 46"
        sigpic

Comment

I'm using a single 24" monitor, but I could really use say, two 22" ones or something.

Comment

25.5 inch Samsung T260HD (has a TV tuner in it), resolution is 1920x1200. My face is about 18-24 inches away when I am gaming, so it's just about perfect. :)

EDOT: FOV is maxed out!
            Last edited by glycerin; 11-30-2011, 12:12 PM.
            -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

I cannot locate the FOV field in PROF_SAVE_body -- is this the correct file?
              sigpic

Comment

You guys play on pretty big monitors :)

I am so used to smaller screens (21.5") that I don't find it comfortable with bigger ones.
                I like to lean back in my chair and have the whole screen in my field of view. FOV is set to default.
                That might be the reason I have to wear glasses when I am gaming.

32" and up is massive! :)
                "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                  I cannot locate the FOV field in PROF_SAVE_body -- is this the correct file?
                  You should be able to change it in game in the graphics options.

Comment

My monitor is the 23" Asus model VH236H. It's big enough that I can (and have) play games for hours without feeling like I need a break. I can't imagine playing on something as big as a 32" LCD, though, without suffering headaches LOL

I'm looking to upgrading to a 27" monitor with 1920x1200 resolutions though, if I can find a good deal.
                    You know what attract bullets the most in Battlefield 3?? MY HEAD!!
                    sigpic

Comment

24 inch....isnt the FOV an exchange of length for depth. As in, I notice when I increase the FOV objects get smaller (zoomed out)?

Comment

added to my post that my FOV is maxed out. (@90)
                        -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Luckily, the FOV can be adjusted in the in game menu, and it saves and correctly applies the settings. No need to monkey around in files.

Comment

27" here.

Sounded like a great idea at the time, until I found out the video card power needed to drive 2550x1440 :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevlar2011 View Post
                              24 inch....isnt the FOV an exchange of length for depth. As in, I notice when I increase the FOV objects get smaller (zoomed out)?
                              Yes, as you increase FOV the objects will appear further away as your peripheral view widens. It helps to adjust your FOV because many of these cross-platform games have default FOVs that are too constricted for a PC setup. Default FOV in games like this tend to be around 60-75 I believe which is too narrow for how close you sit to a PC monitor. FOV of 60-75 works on an Xbox or PS3 because you naturally sit much further away from a TV in a living room setup than you do at your computer.

My best advice is to just tinker with the FOV until you find a setting that feels natural. On a widescreen PC monitor it should be somewhere around 80-90.
                              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X