Back to Karkand- the preview thread!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Karkand- the preview thread!

Hey guys, if you have a link to a BF3: Back to Karkand Expansion preview, please post it up here! I'll start. It's in german, but you can get the jist of what he is saying (I think). Can anyone paraphrase his thoughts?

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=64158
    Last edited by glycerin; 11-30-2011, 12:14 PM.
    -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Re: Back to Karkand- the preview thread!

Interesting, is it just me or is the game color scheme too "stylized"...like a blue-ish filter on everything?

Comment

http://mp1st.com/2011/11/30/the-comp...ents-revealed/

Full list of all weapons and attachments. Interestingly, the 12x Ballistic scope is listed on the Assault rifle attachments. My guess is that they just copy pasted the list from Battlelog, as it's listed on the current weapons too but grayed out as a DICE Employee exclusive.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

good find lancer, thx for posting up!
        -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Nice info in hear already, enjoyed the video, nice to see the comparison of the maps the way they did.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
            Hey guys, if you have a link to a BF3: Back to Karkand Expansion preview, please post it up here! I'll start. It's in german, but you can get the jist of what he is saying (I think). Can anyone paraphrase his thoughts?

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=64158
            I'll go you one better. Partly out of boredom, partly as a worthy challenge, I've created a running translation. Note that I'm not a native German speaker (nor an English one, for that matter), so some nuances might have been lost in the process. It should provide you with a general idea of what they're saying, though (summary: they like it a lot). Enjoy.

Originally posted by gamestar.de
            That’s how it all started in 2002: Battlefield 1942 and its map “Wake Island.” The map could even be played in the demo, and so... whoa! Great!

2006. Battlefield 2. Wake Island again, so... whoa! Even better!

2009. Battlefield 1943. Wake Island and... whoa! Much better still! It didn’t make an appearance on the PC, alas.

Summer 2011. Battlefield Heroes. Wake Island and... well... at least it’s free.

But now, in winter 2011 finally we’ll be seeing a *real* Wake Island again. And there it is!

Part of the “Back to Karkand” DLC, available for free with the Limited Edition of Battlefield 3, a map pack containing 4 maps will be released in December 2011 – one of them the venerable “Wake Island.” The layout in Conquest Mode is identical to its predecessors': the Americans start out on an aircraft carrier, whilst the Russians hold 3 to 5 flags. The Yanks therefore have to capture some flags quickly, or they’ll be bleeding tickets. As such the same principle applies as in Battlefield 1942: flying around the map is nice, but to win you’ll need boots on the ground.

On said ground you’ll notice that, although DICE has updated the current version a bit, the layout is still the same so you’ll feel right at home. The tanks mostly rule supreme, but still the buggies race between flags – sometimes more successful than others.

Just like before, the Americans have an uncappable base in the form of their aircraft carrier; the Russians do not. In this scene our enemies have to spawn at this one flag, which makes it easy for us to lie in ambush. And spawn rape is allowed, because when we capture this final flag, we can eradicate the enemy in one fell swoop. Because when no one can spawn anymore, all remaining tickets are forfeit. Many an admin might shudder at the thought, but this is the way we played Conquest back in the days, and we like it a lot more than the tedious capturing of flags while the base is invulnerable! To distinguish this new (old) conquest mode from the existing Battlefield 3 Conquest mode, DICE has named it “Conquest Assault.”

Conquest Assault is also available on the other three maps in the DLC. Like Gulf of Oman. Some enhancements were made to this Battlefield 2 classic as well. Where we now have a street running through a small settlement, in Battlefield 2 there’s only a lot of sand and a few huts. Across the railroad tracks, which separate the city centre from the beach, we now have a shiny new overpass – an inviting route that should be traversed with caution. (C4 goes Boom!). In Battlefield 2 the centre had some construction going, whereas in Battlefield 3 the workers clearly have made some progress, with high rise buildings and cranes abound. Inevitably a fair number of snipers will be withering away in these places, from which they could theoretically cover the whole map --the new Oman provides a lot more cover than the old one, however.

The new maps feature a lot of accessible houses, which look a whole lot more realistic than the original ones. For example, we’ve got apartments with a foyer and mail boxes, or derelict buildings with old furniture, a kitchen sink and dirty curtains. Okay, it’s not quite movie material, but it’s a step up from the artificial structures in other FPSes. It’s rather chic, all.

But these lovely houses are not safe from destruction, because DICE has amped up the environmental physics effects. As a result, every small and medium building can be destroyed.

Ahh! How often have we gone down this road before, on our way to Karkand? Hundreds of times, at least. And even then it was a beautiful ride! Immediately apparent in the new version is the jaw dropping scenery. Now that looks like a real city, instead of merely a collection of buildings! And, we can destroy them all! Where in Battlefield 2 one would regularly get hung up on a wooden fence, in Battlefield 3 hardly any structure will be left standing at the end of the round. That aside is the new Karkand very similar to its forerunner.

Near the city entrance the Hotel flag awaits in Battlefield 2, readily available to the attackers. In Battlefield 3 the flag is more easily accessible, because we don’t have to climb a ladder anymore to get to it. Altogether it looks a lot more like a hotel than before. The area forms a bottleneck which the Americans have to fight their way through.

Moving on beyond the Hotel, the other flags await – in particular the one on the Square. In the new edition there are plenty of crates lying around. Until blasted away, they’ll provide some concealment. The age-old trick, “Hey! Let’s all hide in the fountain on the square!” still works as well as before– and as badly. (Three hapless campers get owned.)

Even in the outskirts, previously mostly avoided by players, the map looks wonderful. Back to Karkand therefore offers a lot of familiar stuff, but plenty of new surprises as well.

Then there’s one map which we haven’t been able to play yet: Sharki Peninsula. However, this 30 second trailer left us brimming with anticipation.

Further, the DLC comes with 10 new weapons from the Battlefield 2 era. Such as the MG36. And the U-B-U-88 sniper rifle. Or the HK53, an MP5 in rifle caliber.

And then there are three – no four – new vehicles. The F-35 VTOL jet we’ve seen before in Battlefield 2. While able to hover, it’s a bit less agile than the other jets. The dune buggy is a lot of fun. A Russian APC is briefly visible in this scene. And then the fourth new vehicle, a closely guarded secret: a little bulldozer! With seats for two lunatics.

Back to Karkand will be a great map pack. We like the large scale destruction in particular, but we also revel in the rediscovery of old battlefields. The maps will undoubtedly become favourites of the Battlefield community. The expansion is the perfect Christmas gift to oneself, were it not for the fact that nearly everyone will have free access to it already.
            Last edited by Lekdevil.NL; 12-01-2011, 04:27 AM.
            <insert signature spam here>

Comment

Wait...
              There's a bulldozer?

Comment

Wow, thx for the translation! That looks like alot of hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by fishfox View Post
                  Wait...
                  There's a bulldozer?
                  It is really more of a Caterpillar Bobcat with inclosed cab, which means it has A/C... for those hot afternoon desert battles in the sand.
                  When I hear bulldozer I think of this.

+1 rep on the translation Lekdevil.. thank you very much.
                  theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                  E Pluribus Unum
                  Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed