Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To confirm the obvious: Integrated VoIP highly unlikely

Tweet from zh1nto

@Dem0nAir Weīre keeping the voip as it is right now. By increasing to this level of functionality we would have to make the VOIP solution a part of the game installation, which we currently donít want from a business perspective.
    To say this is disappointing would be an understatement.

Re: To confirm the obvious: Integrated VoIP highly unlikely

And yet, not surprising.

Comment

zh1nto:
      which we currently donít want from a business perspective.

:icon_frow
      |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
      sigpic

Comment

I never expected them to patch real VOIP into the game. Not even for one minute. I just wish they would explain how in-game VOIP detracts from their game from a "business perspective".
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I never expected them to put voip ingame either, and now they have voip in battlelog it also means few (if any) DICE/EA games in future will have ingame voip IMO

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
            I never expected them to patch real VOIP into the game. Not even for one minute. I just wish they would explain how in-game VOIP detracts from their game from a "business perspective".
            Consoles already use VOIP provided by PSN/XBL afaik so they would have to do a full implementation for PC. PC is the smallest market. So, big investment to get VOIP to work on a small platform == not a good business decision in their eyes.

I would counter-argue that in-game VOIP would build community faith in any future games DICE/EA push out. The current state of BF3 is really putting me off buying DLC or BC3/BF4 whenever those come down the pipeline.

Comment

Yeah I am done with DICE, and that is the final nail in their coffin from my perspective. Not surprised by the announcement however.

Comment

I'm not surprised either, nor was I expecting it to be patched. I guess you can say I was really just waiting for the disappointing announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by KnyghtMare View Post
                  Consoles already use VOIP provided by PSN/XBL afaik so they would have to do a full implementation for PC. PC is the smallest market. So, big investment to get VOIP to work on a small platform == not a good business decision in their eyes.
                  Yea, I understand that implementing VOIP right now would require an additional investment whether it's developer man hours or a 3rd party solution, but it seems to me that they have not wanted in-game VOIP in BF3 from day 1. Or even back in BC2. Just like mod support or free dedicated server files, VOIP seems to be one of those things that Dice has simply not wanted. While I can understand the exclusion of the other two from a business perspective, I don't understand how VOIP hurts them.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Not a surprise. It'd take a lot of time, people-hours, and money to develop or licence & integrate a 3rd party VOIP module.... for not much gain. Why would they do that instead of investing those resources on something that will lead to a return on investment.

Also, we (the admin team) would encourage EVERYONE to get the TeamSync Advanced-Comms client-side-plugin installed! As much as in-game VOIP would help communicate with visitors, we DO have a very good replacement solution!

Comment

I can understand the business thing. We PC gamers just have to realize that consumer goods companies always go for the least common denominator. Companies like the dumbed down console gamers. They love gamers who just don't expect that much outside pretty and want everything served up McDonald style.

But what I don't like is that they also don't want to expose the hooks so that third party companies/developers can fill the void for the more sophisticated and demanding gamer. Why don't they have a small client and server service that is installed that exposes the players and other data like player game location, vehicular seat and squad leader status? They could even report the server you are playing on. Something like that would require almost no work on their part and very little support. And it would allow Teamspeak by default to just hook everybody up on the server and do all the magical wonderful things we would ever want.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        I can understand the business thing. We PC gamers just have to realize that consumer goods companies always go for the least common denominator. Companies like the dumbed down console gamers. They love gamers who just don't expect that much outside pretty and want everything served up McDonald style.

But what I don't like is that they also don't want to expose the hooks so that third party companies/developers can fill the void for the more sophisticated and demanding gamer. Why don't they have a small client and server service that is installed that exposes the players and other data like player game location, vehicular seat and squad leader status? They could even report the server you are playing on. Something like that would require almost no work on their part and very little support. And it would allow Teamspeak by default to just hook everybody up on the server and do all the magical wonderful things we would ever want.
                        I agree. Such "hooks" would work wonders. Some simple, exported functions in a DLL somewhere that we can use would be amazing and make the work I'm trying to do with TeamSync much easier!

Comment

Hopefully by the time BF4 is out Origin will have copied another Steam feature - an easy voip toolset for all developers to use for Origin exclusive games.
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Hilariously misguided. The VOIP communications scheme/organization, the Commander class, etc., were all a part of the DNA of BF2, they wouldn't have 1 sale if BF2 wasn't the success that it was BECAUSE of the very elements they surreptitiously left out of BF3. Business sense? How does destroying what made their game unique and different good "business sense". They left out HALF of the game, imo. The important distinctive half, the coordination and communication part. MODS SAVE US!

Comment

It amazes me how much this angers some people. Look at it from their side: This is a business. They are doing this to make money. In order to make the most money, they build the game as to appeal to the largest audience (consoles). Would I have liked to see the squad leader and commander features in BF3? Yes of course, but I get why they were not put in there. It appeals to the hardcore (us) not the mass audience.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X