Establishing SOP for pilots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Establishing SOP for pilots

Based on some questions in the rules discussion, we clearly need to establish a community-wide SOP for using air-assets. (Obviously guests wont' follow protocol, but there's no reason we can't organize ourselves). Currently the rules state that all players must contribute to the squad's objective. When you have three players running infantry, and one or two off flying around, that's not really possible. It makes the squad totally dysfunctional with only 2-3 squad-members.

I'll throw out a starting-point, but please think about it and suggest changes. I haven't thought this all the way through, but...

1) Pilots do not join a squad. (TeamSync will group them together in the non-squad channel, so they can communicate together)

2) Pilots subscribe to the SL-radio-net (non-SL's can type "@SL on" in game-chat to subscribe to the SL-radio-net).

3) Ground-based SL's request CAS using the SL-radio-net.

Thoughts?

Re: Establishing SOP for pilots

With helo pilots and gunners(transport as a gunship can have up to six people on board although more likely 2-4 communicating) it could get a bit noisy on the larger maps. Seems like a good place to start though.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I tried something along those lines last night. I left my squad to run a helo for the round, and created a new one to show that I was still trying to show I was a part of the team by being in a squad. People started joining my squad and I abandoned the helo. I could have locked the squad but that seemed a bit selfish.

I like the idea of pilots not being a squad, but that seems a bit contradictory to the not-being-in-a-squad server rule. If we're going to actively push for squad participation, how does one determine if a pilot is doing his own thing as opposed to serving an asset for the team? If I try to dedicate myself as a pilot for the round, how do I show that I'm actively trying to help the team?

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
        I like the idea of pilots not being a squad, but that seems a bit contradictory to the not-being-in-a-squad server rule.
        It is, but if we consider jets and choppers (and mobile AA?) to be team resources rather than squad resources, it can be fixed.

Comment

So if the helo is available mid round i have to leave my squad to fly it for 5 minutes? It has happened more than once when i would jump in it to hammer a piece of armor that was pummeling us at an objective

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

The idea is to foster teamwork, and since here are a multitude of reasons why a pilot may want to be in a squad, it will not be required that pilots must not be in a squad.
            Last edited by Iamthefallen; 12-05-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
              The idea is to foster teamwork, and since here are a multitude of reasons why a pilot may want to be in a squad, it will not be required that pilots must not be in a squad.
              If you exclude rule 1 then rules 2 and 3 seem pretty solid. If you're a reg and you want to fly air, join the @SL channel so the team has coms with you.
              USAR

Comment

I think SOP should work along the following lines:

As a squad member ask your SL before getting into a jet/helo even an AA tank.
                If an SL agrees s/he should make use of the air asset. If you, as an SL, have no use for an asset you shouldn't allow your squad to operate it.

The above procedure, mixed with an SL comms channel, immediately promotes ground based squad work and the concept of a dedicated air squad. Use SL comms to let other squads know you want air assets if you intend to use them or if you intend to use a little bird to cap a back flag let your fellow SLs know and hope you get the pilot spawn :)

Comment

Key to know: there is a server settings to allow or disallow spawn into vehicle.
                  If that was turned off then ...
                  you could have an air squad assigned to a standard squad eg Hotel is always air (they could all be squadless as W6 suggests but if script for squadless autokick comes in then what?)
                  assuming we go for all in on squad, then all of Hotel squad tune into the SL-SL comms channel and can respond to calls for airpower
                  This could work if everybody knows the gameplan, but its a bit too involved and requires cooperation for everybody not in air squad HOTEL, to leave the airpower alone, will new to TG or random visitors leave the airpower alone ? I think not.

Turning off spawn in vehicle could help free airpower for the designated squad but be replaced with new problem, there will soon be queues for vehicles competing with airsquad for the airpower, then what, kick random people who dont know our way of running airpower ? thats not a workable scenario

So overall I think this is not a viable option
                  The completely dedicate airpower to a small group, I dont see working

Its propably better to have a more "open" procedure that accounts for server visitors, which is what KM says
                  spawn on airpower is allowed, ask SL if can fly, if get yes then spawn in plane/heli, fly and join SL channel to answer calls for airpower, die and spawn next time as ground pounder
                  variation of this is if you spawn on attack chopper then next spawner in your squad becomes the gunner and you use squad comms channel as chopper channel as well as ground pounders channel for the other 2 in the squad, ie two conversations in one squad channel

Comment

I agree with Knyghtmare that if you are in a squad you should ask the SL permission to use any vehicle. That said, the jets and helos are little bit of a different beast than other assets because as a pilot you don't really support a squad as much as you support the team as whole.

Personally as someone who spends a fair bit of time in the air I'd vote for having the pilots not squad up but activate SL comms, this has several benefits:

1) Free's up a spot in the ground squads for players that can actively contribute on the ground and provide an additional spawnpoint for the squad.
                    2) Allows the pilots to coordinate with each other (this makes such a big difference).
                    3) Allows any SL to easily call for air assistance when and where they need it (or if one of their members is lighting up with the SOFLAM)

Seems like a win-win-win to me. As long a we are not running a squad less kick script I don't see any down sides to having the pilot by themselves.

Might I also suggest a SOP for giving air targets to the pilot:

If the target is not SOFLAM'd
                    1) Include the type of vehicle you want me to hit (I approach a Tank, AA, Jeep and Helo all very differently so I need to know)
                    2) Include the closest Flag (or any obvious landmark from the sky) to the target. Things like "by the radio tower" are a lot more helpful then "by a tree"
                    3) If its a tank: Be in a position to assist me, a tank with an engineer can repair quicker than I can damage it so without support you are just wasting my time and yours. If I have the help of a friendly engineer, or even just some infantry killing the enemy engineers before they can repair the damage makes dealing with armor a lot easier.

If its SOFLAM'd
                    1) Tell me you are marking a target
                    2) That's it...now just wait for the target to go boom.

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
                      I agree with Knyghtmare that if you are in a squad you should ask the SL permission to use any vehicle. That said the jets and helos are little bit of a different beast because as a pilot you don't really support a squad as much as you support the team as whole.

Personally as someone who spends a fair bit of time in the air I'd vote for having the pilots not squad up but activate SL comms, this has several benefits:

1) Free's up a spot in the ground squads for players that can actively contribute on the ground and provide an additional spawnpoint for the squad.
                      2) Allows the pilots to coordinate with each other (this makes such a big difference).
                      3) Allows any SL to easily call for air assistance when and where they need it (or if one of their members is lighting up with the SOFLAM)

Seems like a win-win-win to me. As long a we are not running a squad less kick script I don't see any down sides to having the pilot by themselves.

Might I also suggest a SOP for giving air targets to the pilot:

If the target is not SOFLAM'd
                      1) Include the type of vehicle you want me to hit (I approach a Tank, AA, Jeep and Helo all very differently so I need to know)
                      2) Include the closest Flag (or any obvious landmark from the sky) to the target. Things like "by the radio tower" are a lot more helpful then "by a tree"
                      3) If its a tank: Be in a position to assist me, a tank with an engineer can repair quicker than I can damage it so without support you are just wasting my time and yours. If I have the help of a friendly engineer, or even just some infantry killing the enemy engineers before they can repair the damage makes dealing with armor a lot easier.

If its SOFLAM'd
                      1) Tell me you are marking a target
                      2) That's it...now just wait for the target to go boom.
                      I agree with this....I did it the other night while jeti

Comment

i agree with everything specter said especially the way a target is described and located :) also if this plan works fully there could be some tasty teamwork abruein' >:]
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

so is an official SOP being written or what
                          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I don't like the idea of this becoming a rule but I like the idea as become a recommended standard. We can't enforce it on pubbies we should not be enforcing it for TGers. I think it's an excellent guide and recommendation though for Pilot only squads.

Comment

I agree with an unenforced SOP. It works for large games but there will be times when it doesn't work. As a SL I generally dont take issue to someone in my squad jumping into a jet. Sometimes when a helo is available you need a squad pilot to drop us off. Once they get shutdown they join me on the ground again. I like the SL channel idea I can see that being very useful.
                              Proud to be Irregular

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...