This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRNV... your thoughts please

OK... I just got off a server I used to enjoy playing on (still haven't been able to get to a TG server cause they are always full :() and everyone, including the tanks and helos were all using either IRNV or Thermal Vision on maps where it's broad daylight. I mean every time someone shot me they had one. The one that gets me the most is when someone uses an IRNV scope paired with a "tactical light" (what a joke). Again, in broad daylight. It's rounds like that that make me just want to through this game out the window. How are you supposed to use tactics like hiding behind cover when these tools (yes I am referring to the scopes and the people using them) seem to be able to see through everything? They may as well have Superman's X-ray vision and you may as well have a huge bulls-eye on you. Also, I'm not sure if it's just my experience but when people use it they seem to be invincible. They seem to take less damage, always win a head on confrontation, do more damage, and get un-limited range. Now I have used it a few times to see what the big deal is and I am unimpressed. First, you lose all the pretty graphics, then everything worth shooting is "nicely" highlighted for you, and all the challenge goes right out the window. I don't want them to dumb it down, frankly I want them to do away with it. I even saw a dude with a shotgun with an IRNV scope on it. I mean come on... really!? I know there are tools like this in the real world, but they have a great deal of limitations. They cannot be used in areas with mid to high levels of light. They are very susceptible to ambient heat (if it was 98 degrees outside it would be practically useless for seeing a body at any distance). Also, they are too expensive (even for the military) to mount on every weapon in their arsenal. I have read some of the threads posted here and I know I'm not the only one that has issue with this, but after those last few rounds I really just needed to get this off my chest. For a while it seemed like a lot of people were not using it out of protest or because they simply just didn't need it. However, it seems like there are still a lot of people out there that cannot play without it. Honestly, I have more respect for n00b tubers than I do for people that rely on these. Anyway, Thanks for reading and letting me vent. Feel free to respond. I'll see you guys out there...

Re: IRNV... your thoughts please

It's nerfed in todays patch.

As far as IR on vehicles, that seems to be a realistic use even in broad daylight because of the contrast it provides.

Comment

I use the IRNV scope sometimes and I see the downside to it. While using it you can only see a narrow field of view so you have to be carefull in exposing yourself while using it. My two cents.

Comment

The IRNV scope is just crap imo and it really hurts me when i see TG members using it

Comment

Originally posted by TlgKill View Post
          The IRNV scope is just crap imo and it really hurts me when i see TG members using it
          Before the nerf (haven't gottena chance to play with the new one yet), IRNV was my favourite scope for middle and short range firefights. I saw no reason to short-change myself if the game has made it available to me.

Comment

Originally posted by FLIPmode View Post
            Before the nerf (haven't gottena chance to play with the new one yet), IRNV was my favourite scope for middle and short range firefights. I saw no reason to short-change myself if the game has made it available to me.
            I'm in the same boat.

I'm terrible at twitch skills and consequently I need as much help as I can get. My k/d hovers around .6...and that's with the IRNV scope enabled. Not feeling too guilty about using it but I also wont complain about the nerf.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

IMHO, no-one should feel guilty for using a scope provided by the game.

I am looking forward to the nerf, especially what I've seen posted about it. I think this will take it back to a more tactical game with cover and such good things.

Starting to feel the flu coming on *cough* *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectNA View Post
                IMHO, no-one should feel guilty for using a scope provided by the game.
                Agreed

Originally posted by ProjectNA View Post
                I am looking forward to the nerf, especially what I've seen posted about it. I think this will take it back to a more tactical game with cover and such good things.
                I have tried it out on Tehran it is nerfed, but could still see from C all the way across to A, not as much as I thought it would be. I do like the way it looks now. there is a different feel between a day or night map.
                sigpic

Comment

How it is so fumy when DICE making changes to the game is trying to reproduce real things (see nerf for a tactical light - almost none) when IRNV now became useless (do they saw real night vision w/ thermal in action?). Issue where somewhere else than OP of IRNV...

Comment

Yeah... just download the updates and will take it for a spin. Although, I will most likely still not use it as I don't want to loose my ability to spot targets without it. Some of the camo kits work really well in some maps. Thanks for the input guys and not bashing me for whining about this old topic. Really just had to blow off steam after last night. See you out there...

Comment

In my opinion, the IRNV is just something to adapt to. I play BF3 to enjoy myself, and I don't enjoy myself when I constantly resist the developer's ideas and decisions - it makes the game frustrating and stressful for me. I've learned that in previous titles - the COD knife, the BF2142 rockets, the Killing Floor berserkers ... it's best to adapt to these things, master them, and learn how to counter them.

Comment

Whoever used an IRNV pre-patch, you should be ashamed and horse-whipped. Whoever uses an IRNV post-patch....HA HA! You gots nerfed!!! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Makarov View Post
                          Whoever used an IRNV pre-patch, you should be ashamed and horse-whipped. Whoever uses an IRNV post-patch....HA HA! You gots nerfed!!! :)

Haha every time I got killed with one pre patch I made me smile. Y? Because I knew they where just being a little biatch. Shoot me in the face like a man. :D
                          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                          Former ARMA Admin
                          Former ARMA TGU instructor
                          Former TGU Headmaster
                          Current Noob
                          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

"Oh hey an IRNV thread...."

That's right. Thread has run it's course.
                            Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X