Back to Karkand first impressions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Karkand first impressions!

BTK came out on PS3 a couple of hours ago and I've had a butchers so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

First off, the best way to describe these maps is they are not BF2 maps in frostbite, they're very much BF3 maps in a BF3 world, if you get what I mean. I'll get into a bit more detail later but if like me, you thought they were starting with the old maps and just tarting them up a bit, slapping a few new things on the top then you may be a little disappointed. Saying that, they're still pretty decent and better then most of the maps BF3 shipped with.

Gulf of Oman.

Since I was playing on PS3, the maps have been shrunk. In this case it was down to 4 flags and combining that with not having played BF2 for a number of years it was very disorientating trying to recall where to go when using the old maps for a reference. This map I played the least next to Wake so it's hard to comment. Most I can say is that looks wise, it's pretty sandy, the buggy is back which was a nice nostalgic touch, but they have got rid of the swimming pool at the north of the map! I remember having some of the most fun matches trying to get a helo round the sides and get the flag, just hope it's back for the PC version. also to note the boundaries for flying seems to be quite small. Caspian feels larger so far, on the ground and in the air then this map.

Wake Island.

It looks amazing. Hoofing. Even on the PS3 it made the best impression on me. I put it down to the sky and the greys. I spent most of the time flying so again not much to point out other then it looks good. There doesn't seem to be anyway to spawn as troops form the carrier, only spawning into jets allowed, so no racing with the speed boats at the start. Might be different for PC obviously.

Sharqi Peninsula.

Very small. They trimmed the fat of this one a lot. The start positions are all different. Russians get no UCB and start off in the central square with all flags owned. Can't remember is both sides got a UCB in BF2 but you notice it in this with everything being so squashed in. If I remember rightly the US started form a ship off the coast, well that doesn't happen in this. It's been BF3'd, or biffed as I say in my head. Other then that, seems pretty large, but the flag placement would have been better. If there was a few more at the top more of the map might have been used but so far all the action seems to take place in the centre square and the TV station.

Karkland.

BF3'd in places but still liked it. Found it a bit weird with everything looking so blue other then the brown, dusky colour going on in the original. The first hill that normally had most of the firefights at the start of the round isn't as steep, so geting over it and taking the hotel flag is a little more fluid. The flag itself is easier to get to since there's now stairs instead of a ladder and the tall building overlooking the main road in has been cut to about a third of its height so it's no longer a sniper perch. There were 5 flags but a few of them have been moved around. The 'Train' flag and the flag at the top left (as if you were looking from the US UCB) have been moved to a single flag just slightly away form the train yard.

All in all things look good but I can't shake the feeling of that if they didn't try and smooth out the maps to make it more fluid and fast passed in some places it would have been much more enjoyable and offering a nice change of pace then the other maps. Can't wait to try out rush on these maps as well.

Anyone got any questions just ask and I'll try and answer.

As for the other part of BTK, the Assignments, I have listed below:

Now, you weapons are pared up and you have to complete the lesser assignments before you can start the next one it's paired with. So for example, to unlock the L85 assignments you must complete the Famas one before it. I've listed accordingly.

Famas:
    10 Revives
    10 Heals

Leads to:

SA80a2 L85:
    100 Kills with Assault Rifles
    20 kills with underslung grenade launcher
    Win 5 rounds of SQDM

------

HK53:
    10 Repairs
    Kill 1 enemy with Repair torch

Leads to:

QBZ-95B
    50 AT Rocket Kills
    Destroy 1 enemy vehicle with Repair torch
    Win 5 rounds of conquest

------

QBB-95
    20 kills with LMGs
    2 Mortar kills

leads to:

MG36
    100 Kills with LMGs
    50 Suppression assists
    50 ammo resupplies

------

QBU-88
    20 kills with sniper rifles
    5 laser designations

leads to:

L96
    50 Headshots (note, this doesn't specify with sniper rifles)
    50 Spot assists
    5 Knife takedowns

------

PP19
    Arm 10 Mcoms
    Capture 10 flags
    Play 2 hours on Karkand

leads to:

Jackhammer
    10 Kills with PP19
    5 Kills in DPV Jeep
    10 kills in BTR-90 IFV
    2 hours on Sharqi
    2 hours on Gulf of Oman

What's up with the HK53? I thought we were getting an MP5. All right, it's pretty much an 5.56 version but I wanted my old engie set up!

Re: Back to Karkand first impressions!

For anyone as confused as me

Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyming_slang
    "To have a butcher's", meaning to have a look, originates from "butcher's hook" (an S-shaped hook used by butchers to hang up meat), and dates from the late 19th century but has existed independently in general use from around the 1930s simply as "butchers".
    It's an English thing.

Comment

Great writeup! Thanks for sharing.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
        For anyone as confused as me

It's an English thing.
        LOL, that made me laugh, not sure why I thought you Americans would understand that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
          LOL, that made me laugh, not sure why I thought you Americans would understand that! :)
          first time I've come across that one !!...
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
            Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
            first time I've come across that one !!...
            Same here.

IRT...
            Sharqi didnt have a aircraft carrier, and the US didnt have a UCB, it was more of a "Push" style map, as with many of the early BF series there were a lot of these type of conquest maps, the original Frontlines map IMO(I know, it is not really "Frontline" like PoE has, nor like the gamemode "Frontlines" from the game of the same name). . . But like Wake Island, take the most important flag and push them off the map, easy! in theory. hehe
            The Iraqi invaded from three "UCB" points, one to the west of the main "city", one from the northwest and the one south, across the cove where their chopper spawned. Although I preferred the firefights around the "Surveillance Point" flag, the TV station was by far the most important flag on the map. But now without the commander assets,is the flag still as important? The chopper spawn probably still being there will make this the flag for the Iraqi to really need to win the map.
            theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
            E Pluribus Unum
            Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
            Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Strange use of the word "butchers". If it means "look", why not just use "look"? It's easier to say and faster to type.

Thanks for the writeup, Bull. I'm hoping that the Conquest Large versions are different and thus more comparable with their BF2 counterparts. So here's hoping...

Comment

Sharqi, one of my favorite maps. TV STATION!!!

I think it just had the two spawns, one by the boats and one humvee across the cove, one west where the armor spawned.

Can't WAIT to play these again. Old is new again.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectNA View Post
                  I think it just had the two spawns, one by the boats and one humvee across the cove, one west where the armor spawned.
                  You forget the Club House? You dont remember Vodnik races to the City Entrance before they could get on the TOW to the north. hehe
                  E Pluribus Unum

Comment

I really hope they more closely mirror the BF2 maps in PC version with Conquest Large. I'm feeling more and more disappointed with BF3.

I'd love for a 1:1 port of Fu She Pass to BF3.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

So Back to Karkand is not on servers yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                        You forget the Club House? You dont remember Vodnik races to the City Entrance before they could get on the TOW to the north. hehe
                        I did! Darn. Maybe that was only 64P maps?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
                          So Back to Karkand is not on servers yet?
                          It'll be released for PC in a week. TG will support it.

Comment

I did! Darn. Maybe that was only 64P maps?
                            The 64 player version added the Alleyway flag, the MEC still had 3 UCB spawn points except on the 16.
                            E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Sharqi, one of my favorite maps. TV STATION!!!
                              Just found this on youtube. Enjoy :D

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X