No announcement yet.

Awards system needs a revive!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] Awards system needs a revive!!

Ribbons! RIBBONS!! Can you hear me soldier!?! Don't you die on me! <defib charging> C'mon soldier, hang in there! <BBBZZZZTTTTT>

Now that I've got your attention I want to take a few minutes to talk about the internal awards system here at TG. :row__577:

OVERVIEW

The Tactical Gamer Awards Presentation forums and the Ribbons user account were created to give Tactical Gamer members a way to recognize exemplary action in and out of game. I know, that sounds nice and generic... and you're wondering what it means to you, right? Well, if you look down at my signature you'll see that below the in house squad banner I've got some other little ribbons. Those are all ribbons issued by Tactical Gamer. A member of the community thought I did something exemplary enough to nominate me for a ribbon in that area. That nomination went before the ribbons team and was passed. It used to be that ribbons like these were awarded every week or two. However, according to the ribbons presentation forums there hasn't been any awarded in a little over two months! I doubt that people in the community haven't deserved nomination. It is most likely because people have forgotten (or never even knew about) the ribbons system. Therefore, I am taking it upon myself to try and "revive Ribbons" so we'll start to recognize those exemplary members of our community again!

CURRENTLY SUPPORTED SERVICE RIBBONS
    Let me start by listing all the currently supported service ribbons that are applicable to Battlefield 3. I'm posting the image of the ribbon followed by the name. I've hyperlinked the name of the ribbon to the corresponding thread in the awards presentation forum. The beginning of that thread will have the official description for the ribbon. I will provide some examples and further explanation a little bit later.

Site-wide Ribbons (These can be given for performing any action for the community and are mostly given for out-of-game actions and contributions.)

Game Ribbons (I'm listing the ones applicable to BF3 here)

Any person can receive the above listed ribbons multiple times. Each time it increases in class by adding a star. However, each progressive class requires that player to meet a higher standard. To put it simply, you cannot reach class IV squad leader by doing class I squad leading four times. It all boils down to what you are nominating someone for and how well you support that nomination in you post. Which seems like a great place to talk about....

NOMINATIONS
    When you've got someone that you feel qualifies for any of the above listed ribbons you need to submit a nomination in this forum. You nomination will be in the form of a posted thread that only you and the ribbons team can see. You need to include some basic information in your posting: the person's name, the ribbon you are nominating them for, the game that you were playing at the time, the period of time (or specific round) covered, and a description of the actions performed. So it should look something like this:

Originally posted by Example
    Thread Title: Nomination Distinguished Squad Leader (Class I)
    ----------
    Nominee: |TG| Joe Gamer

Award: Distinguished Squad Leader (Class I)

Game: Battlefield 3

Period Covered: MM/DD/YY on the Tactical Gamer Server during a round on MAP NAME (hyperlinked to the battlelog record of the round)

The other night I was playing on the tactical gamer server and ended up in Joe Gamer's squad. I came in at the very end of the previous round and heard him congratulating his squad on a good round and welcoming me in. While the next round loaded he said that we should be coming in as the US team and for everyone to hold spawn. He was going to try and grab a buggy and head for a back flag. Joe Gamer seemed to already have a plan in mind and started asking about what kits we had which unlocks for and getting us organized. By the time the round started we all knew what we were spawning in as and what gear we needed. He proceeded to grab the buggy and drive toward the back flag. While en route he was giving orders for mine placement, directing someone to get on the stationary emplacement and ensuring we had all the enemy approaches covered. When he got there and hopped out we all spawned in and set about our tasks. And all this was in the first 30 seconds! The rest of the round went smoothly. Joe Gamer always seemed to be ontop of everything. He must have been watching his minimap more than the main screen because he was constantly positioning us to better meet oncoming enemy attacks, making us aware of attempts to flank, as well as letting us know when we needed to repair friendly armor and get fresh mines down. The entire round Joe Gamer kept us on task and we always were in the right place at the right time. I knew where I was supposed to be, what I was supposed to be doing, and what the plan for our squad was. Joe Gamer is an excellent squad leader and deserves to be commended for it!
    However, your nominations do not have to be for in-game actions. How about this:

Originally posted by Example
    Thread Title: Nomination Distinguished Conduct (Class I)
    ----------
    Nominee: |TG| Joe Gamer

Award: Distinguished Conduct (Class I)

Game: Non-game related

Period Covered: MM/DD/YY

I'm kinda new to Tactical Gamer but I read in a thread that this was where to post nominations. I joined TG a week or so ago. I had seen some videos on YouTube and was amazed at the level of communication and teamwork. I found your website and spent days reading everything I could. Then I signed up, got a forums account, and posted in the "say hi" thread in the BF3 forums. One of the things I mentioned in that post was a question about the different squads that some people seem to be in and how that works with TG. Well, the next time I logged in I had a PM from Joe Gamer. He had read my post and sent me a message with more information. He pointed me to the pages explaining the various in house squads and answered all of the questions I had posted. He even urged me to look into joining the Irregulars and gave me the contact information for that squads leaders. Joe Gamer welcomed me to the community, answered all my questions, and pointed me in the right direction. He and I have PMed back and forth a few more times with other questions I've had and he has been patient and helpful way above and beyond what I'd have expected. He has made me feel welcome and at home within this community and truly exemplifies the "TG way" and I feel he should be recognized for it.
    Keep in mind that your nomination is important. If you don't include the right information they may not get it. So be sure to include the who, what, where, when, and why. Especially the why! Take some extra time and be sure that your nomination explains thoroughly why they deserve this ribbon. :row__577:

Then what happens to your nomination? Well, you have to be patient. After you post your nomination it goes before the ribbons review folks for a week or two. During this time it will be discussed and voted upon. If enough of the ribbon reviewers agree with you then the ribbon will be awarded to the player. The "awarding" will be a new post in the thread for that ribbon including the date and the names of the recipient. After that, the player can proudly add it to their signature!

CLOSING
    The Tactical Gamer Awards system is a great way to recognize other members of the Tactical Gamer community for being awesome! Whether they did a great job squad leading, were a miracle worker with the repair tool in keeping your tank alive, managed to take out an entire squad and single handedly, save the flag, and revive you, or put together a great guide that provided amazing insight into the different types of scopes and their uses. It has been two months since any ribbons were awarded! I say we start to recognize these exemplary people like we used to! If you see someone do something that make you think "wow! great job!", "holy crap! what a round!", "that shot was one in a million", or "I have got to get in her squad more often" then make a note of it and submit a nomination.

DISCLAIMER
    This thread is not the primer for the Tactical Gamer Awards system. This is just my attempt to make people aware of its existence and use. I may have done
    a pretty decent job but I am not associated with Ribbons. If you want further information or the official postings please refer to the following threads:
    Official Tactical Gamer Awards System
    Official Supported Service Ribbons
    Order of Importance thread. Warning this one is long and only gets to the approved stuff about halfway through. However, it does get into the official ribbons order and is worth the read.

Re: Awards system needs a revive!!

Start writin em!
    Skud

Comment

Don't get me started

Comment

Shiny

Former TG-21st
        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Yes please. Remember, ribbons nominations don't have to be ten-page, single spaced behemoths; just a clear account of why this person deserves the ribbon.

Comment

<defib charging> <BBBZZZZTTTTT>

It's the weekend and I know I plan on getting some play time in over the next few days. Keep ribbons in mind! :row__577:

Comment

BUMP! Scrim coming up! Keep ribbons in your mind!

Comment

Really great post, I'll keep my eye out this weekend and see what i find.

Also, I got my eye on the "Distinguished Armour" Ribbon

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                  BUMP! Scrim coming up! Keep ribbons in your mind!
                  What she said! :icon16:

Comment

Have you seen some amazing teamwork, armor use, chopper piloting, or leadership lately? Why not write a ribbon nomination! :row__577:

Comment

Originally posted by Aruncado View Post

Have you seen some amazing teamwork, armor use, chopper piloting, or leadership lately? Why not write a ribbon nomination! :row__577:

Question: When are ribbons given out?

Comment

Originally posted by FullMetalOTN View Post
                        Question: When are ribbons given out?
                        Periodically (maybe a weekly or biweekly basis) someone from the ribbons team takes all the nominations currently in the "submit a nomination" forum and moves them to a special admin forum. They are then reviewed by the admins and voted on for another week or two. After they receive enough votes they post the ribbons they have awarded and then move the next set into the admin forums and start the cycle over again.

I think it is taking a little longer than normal at the moment because the admins are getting back into the swing of awarding ribbons since it had been SOOOOO long since anyone had submitted any. Hence, why I originally started this thread. So if we keep posting them and giving them more practice I'm sure the process will get streamlined again. I remember that it used to only be a week (two at the most) from submission to being awarded. :row__577:

Comment

If you want more insight into how Ribbons work, check out TG Cast #3. I did an interview with the ribbons manager that goes through everything from how to submit, and how the system works behind the scenes.

Comment

So I was talking to Ribbons earlier today and he passed along some more precise information regarding the classes of ribbons. Keep these in mind when you are considering ribbon nominations.

Class I:
                            The purpose of the class I is to introduce people to the system. It is the most basic award signifying basic knowledge and proficiency in a skill. It also servers as a way to draw those that often play on TG servers, but do not come to the forums. A class I should be easy to get and easy to nominate. A Class I is recognition that a player has performed a role to the satisfaction of a peer. It is NOT necessarily about going above the call of duty, but of being able to perform a role to the basic level and in a manner consistent with the TG attitude and style of gameplay.

Class II:
                            A Class II is the next step in proficiency. Both in-game and attitude. Those being nominated should be able to demonstrate a proficiency in their role that is above the “normal” player. A Class II is a sign to the player and the rest of the community that a player is proficient and can be trusted to perform a role in the manner of a skilled TG member. This level is NOT reserved to those that perform amazing feats in-game or anything like that. It is merely for those that have demonstrated a time tested ability to play the role and have advanced in it above the level of Class I.

Class III:
                            A Class III is the class where things get harder. Class III shows the player and the community that he has consistently, over time, shown the ability to excel in the role above that of a well rounded player. A Class III is the beginning level of what is considered mastery of a role. This does not mean that a player has to be a master of the role yet, merely show that he is well on the way. A player must consistently show excellence in a role above that of a good player to be considered for a Class III. Multiple nominations from peers is preferred but not required to grant a Class III. Does the player consistently demonstrate an ability to play the role above and beyond the call of duty in a manner completely consistent with the principles of TG?

Class IV:
                            Class IV is a class of responsibility. This class takes not only in-game abilities into account, but also how a player takes that role into the community. Those being considered for a Class IV should demonstrate a marked ability to play in and educate about a role. Activity on the forums is almost essential. A players reputation in a particular role should be beginning to form in his peers and should be consistently performing the duties of the role in an excellent manner well above the call of duty. He should be able to describe the role and the expectations of it to an interested party as well as perform those duties with a level of professionalism, mastery, and consistency that tells everyone around him that it is HIS role. Ask yourself, “Is this player known to me to be a master of the role ready and able to discharge the duties at any time and with a normal outcome of greatness? Has this player shown an interest in educating the community about the role? Has this player been a member in good standing within the community and is he well versed on the rules, restrictions, expectations, and ability to educate others about the role?”

Class V:
                            Class V is the level of mastery. This Class contains the members of the community that are undisputed master of their roles, able to perform the role practically flawlessly in most situations and demonstrate a level of skill and ability in a role consistent with a master. This player should be able to pass on the principles of the role to others and conducting themselves with the highest amount of respect, dignity, maturity, and skill. They should be recognized master in the community and show that level of master in all they do. There should be several nominations for this person for a Class V as a demonstrated ability to consistently, over time, impress others with their ability to perform the role at an unprecedented level of maturity and skill. Their level of community interaction should be high. Their reputation of their skill should be well known. As a well known member of TG Class V players should be carrying themselves in a manner of much higher maturity since they will be what most impresses new people to TG. Their performance should be setting the examples and standards of the role in the TG community for the game. Ask yourself, “Does this player show a level of skill in the role that is unmatched in the community? Does this player carry himself in a manner consistent with the principles of TG at all times? Does he show maturity at all time and in all situations presented both in-game and out? Does this player represent TG in a positive light? Does this player regularly contribute to the community to further the role? Has this player taught any TGU classes on the role? Has the player participated in any tournaments where this role was exacerbated?”

Class VI:
                            Class VI is the highest honor that TG can bestow upon a member in a particular game role. It is less about skill (as the player should already be a great player at it) and more about dedication to the role and the TG way of playing it over long periods of time. Players nominated for this ribbon class should be long standing members of TG that have been playing, teaching, and representing the role to TG vets and newbies alike for a long time will all the skill, maturity, and passion that comes from being a true team player. Nominations for this will be rare and, as such, granting of this ribbons will be up the admin staff of a particular game. They should decide for themselves what constitutes long-term contributions to a in-game role in a title at TG and it's surrounding community education about a players role and how it should be carried out.

What does all that mean? Well, someone doesn't have to have a 12:2 K/D and 99% accuracy playing Assault to be nominated for Distinguished Assault or be 50:0 in the tank to received Distinguished Armor. Class I ribbons show basic proficiency and knowledge. So ask yourself, "are my standards to high for lower class nominations?"

Comment

I approve of this post. In fact, I approve of this entire thread! A lot of good information and suggestions in here. Keep up the good work and keep the nominations coming so I have something to do. :icon16:

Acknowledge your teammates' Outstanding and Distinguished efforts: Submit a nomination!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X