Better outreach on our servers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better outreach on our servers?

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how best to get non-TG folk involved when we run across them on our servers. It was a lot easier with 2142's in-game VoIP. Personally, I could be better about using and watching squad chat, which I miss a good 80% of the time while I'm playing.

What do you do?

Re: Better outreach on our servers?

Maybe its just me but the "H" key to toggle text chat has been a god-send! I now make a habit of checking up on it when I have a down moment (reloading gun etc.). I toggle between pop-up and always on.

I'm noticing a lot more useful squad and team level comms. Mentally I treat them like "texts" on a cell phone. Not quite real time but still pretty timely. I've found if there's someone with no VOIP they communicate a lot more if I take the time to text chat with them. Of course, I point out the server message about TS and how easy it is and how awesome it is.

I've only had one player join TS after that, but it was super satisfying when they did!

Comment

I type chat to anyone who seems vocal about teamwork or is in my squad and seems to get the whole coordination/stick together thing either without promting or with a little text request.

"Teamspeak?", gets about a %50 interest rate especially when you explain how easily it places them in their squad.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Arithea, can we do something with the loading screen between maps? Like putting up the TacticalGamer welcome screen and donations to Gunney's retirement fund?

Comment

Zot, I didn't know about the H key--I've just been pretty frustrated that messages didn't stay up longer. Thanks for that!

It sounds like a lot of options are basically through the medium of text chat. Gunney has a good question, though I think the loading screens are non-customizable this time around. Would be nice if we could put TS and website info on the loading screen, seeing as how it has kind of a captive audience.

And if you're looking to supplement your retirement income, Gunney, you could always go pro with your gaming! You're getting pretty scary to come up against...

Comment

"LEARN TG" squads, but sadly we cannot rename them and with a lack of VOIP, the other players have to take the prerogative to reach us.
            Don't get me wrong, I love playing with new players and bringing them into the TG fold, but I don't want to have to constantly recruit them and get them to install TS.
            It would be great if DICE implemented those features, it's how I got into TG. I think I got into Exploding_Silver's "LearnTG" squad and was hooked ever since.
            Last edited by TheSc1entist; 12-14-2011, 02:34 AM.

Comment

^ This.
              He was told that he should not kill, and he did not kill, until he got into the Army. Then he was told to kill, and he killed.

Comment

What about a loading screen or ingame scrolling message that lets players know that special designated squads are "LEARN TG" squads? Like if I am a pubbie, we say, go to delta or charlie and etc. to learn how to play like a TGer.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks_Lead View Post
                  What about a loading screen or ingame scrolling message that lets players know that special designated squads are "LEARN TG" squads? Like if I am a pubbie, we say, go to delta or charlie and etc. to learn how to play like a TGer.
                  That may work for server 2 or 3, but not uno.

Comment

I'd honestly like to see people explaining why they're kicking people before they kick them. It looks like they don't get the message when they're booted, but the rest of the server does. Recently I saw one person got kicked for language (and the admin said he was warned about it, but if so it wasn't visible to me at all) but when he came back to the server he was asking why he got kicked for asking questions about our server rules. It left a sour taste in my mouth, and I like TG. If I wasn't already here I could see leaving after that, because it was hard to see teamplay happening without voip and it felt like the admins were powertripping, which are all too common on the internet.

A little explanation goes a long, long way, not necessarily to keeping the person who was kicked, but to keeping people who are watching what the admins do.

Any way to have a message flash up in the center of the screen on round start?
                    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I'd seen at least two warnings go by on the guy you're talking about tonight, Raz. He'd been warned, and had pushed the issue. The question was over language, which he'd repeatedly used despite explanations and complaints from a few people.

A lot of us have come up with "scrolling message" or "loading screen" type ideas, but I have no idea if they're even feasible with BF3. I concur that a message users can't really avoid would go a long way toward furthering teamwork, etc., but how do we go about that with the tools we have to date?

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                        I'd honestly like to see people explaining why they're kicking people before they kick them. It looks like they don't get the message when they're booted, but the rest of the server does. Recently I saw one person got kicked for language (and the admin said he was warned about it, but if so it wasn't visible to me at all) but when he came back to the server he was asking why he got kicked for asking questions about our server rules. It left a sour taste in my mouth, and I like TG. If I wasn't already here I could see leaving after that, because it was hard to see teamplay happening without voip and it felt like the admins were powertripping, which are all too common on the internet.

A little explanation goes a long, long way, not necessarily to keeping the person who was kicked, but to keeping people who are watching what the admins do.

Any way to have a message flash up in the center of the screen on round start?
                        Right now, we do have an autokick after a certain number of instances of bad language and certain very offensive words issue an autoban. Right now, as an admin, dealing with language, poor attitudes and just plain disrespectful and inappropriate behavior is the most common thing for admins to deal with on the servers.

Unfortuneatly, unlike BC2 we do not have the "yell" big obnoxious, impossible-to-miss text is not available at this time. But, the auto messages like "Rule: All players are REQUIRED to follow orders from their squad leader" are being tweaked to inform players of TG language standards and the such. This will certainly help increase visibility for TG's expectations on server and improve upon explanation.

Just as an additional thing that's sort of related: if you do see someone exhibiting poor conduct on the server, there's no reason any TGer can't say "Hey, [insert name here], please watch your language" if you don't see a warning issued out. Don't say "Hey [insert name here] you're gonna get banned if you do that again." But no reason why anyone can't nicely ask someone to watch their language.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                          It looks like they don't get the message when they're booted, but the rest of the server does.
                          FWIW Battlelog shows the entire kick message to the player in the Game Manager window.

Comment

There is some measure for displaying large text in the center of the player's screen. The game lets you know in no uncertain terms that you are now the squad leader when the transition happens. I wonder if it could be reverse engineered?

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                              Just as an additional thing that's sort of related: if you do see someone exhibiting poor conduct on the server, there's no reason any TGer can't say "Hey, [insert name here], please watch your language" if you don't see a warning issued out. Don't say "Hey [insert name here] you're gonna get banned if you do that again." But no reason why anyone can't nicely ask someone to watch their language.
                              I occasionally see regulars using minor language in the text chat... like the "D" word or the "A" word. And not in offensive ways, but maybe statements or having fun.. like, "You really kicked my [ A-word ;) ]." Or... [D-word], that was a good shot!" Would these be considered an instance or just the higher tier naughty words? Just to set the record straight. :)

Sorry to take a detour off the main topic. Back more toward the main topic, I noticed that you can now sign into the Teamspeak server without making a forum account, linking the UID, and then figuring out what you did wrong, doing it again, giving up, then coming back and doing the same thing you did before and it working. lol. Yes, I've had a fair share of making this work.

I had a new guy last night playing with me, Cheb, and Brokeback. This guy was the squad lead, actually. He was giving good orders and text chatting, so I told him that he should join us on TS. Cheb gave him the address and port-- he didn't know where to put the port in, but Cheb told him to just put it behind the address and colon. And after just a couple of minutes, he was there with us. It's also really good that the address can now be done in text and not just the IP address (but maybe it was always there).

A few nights back, I had a guy that wasn't in TS, but was typing with the squad and interacting. I saw him driving with C4 on his jeep. I quickly told him to not jihad jeep, or even appear to be doing so. And that it isn't allowed here, can get you kicked, and told him briefly the reasoning behind it. He kind of agreed with the reasoning, but said it's debatable. But he definitely agreed to not do it anymore and respect the server rules. I told him to check out the website and learn more about it and Teamspeak use if he plans to play here a lot.

In the same instance, the guy that was in my squad who WAS on Teamspeak said that he had no idea that that was a rule. So it appears that even some of those that are involved enough to use Teamspeak don't know some of the more specific rules. So that might be something to think about listing more specifically in the recurrent text chat list.

But I think our outreach is doing good, and that our Teamspeak integration (and that it's now really easy to get into) is our biggest selling point to new comers. Of course, our tactical teamwork is our biggest selling point of all, but they have to get on voice comms to realize that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X