What's your squad leading style?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your squad leading style?

BF3 has been out long enough for most of us to acclimate to it and build up some habits with regards to play style and communication, so let's take a moment to have a look at one facet of those habits: squad leading. We all do it differently. Everyone has different expectations with regards to communication and play style, so let's talk about our own expectations. I'll go first!

What you can expect from me: I have a fairly relaxed squad leading style. Jokes and shenanigans are welcome over squad comms as long as things are fairly quiet on the battlefield, but if part of the squad is in a heavy firefight, I tend to get more focused on what's happening and less focused on extraneous comms. I try to keep attack and defend orders up and current, but I do slip sometimes, and if you catch me somewhere besides headed toward the orders it could be because I haven't updated them. Tactically, I move. A lot. There's a good chance orders and objectives will change frequently throughout the round as the tactical situation changes.

What I expect from you: I expect good, to-the-point tactical communication and plenty of it. If you're down and need a revive, call it! If you run into a tank before the rest of the squad catches up to you, for Pete's sake, let us know! This also applies to kit loadouts. I generally don't specify kits, but I do expect my squad members to know what kits are active in the squad and use their discretion to determine what kit they need to play. If you're unsure, don't hesitate to ask what we need. Because I tend to hop flags/defense points a lot I expect my squad to stay within revive range of my position at all times. It makes things easier when we move to another location and means that there's a greater chance of people getting revived in combat, not to mention the fact that it helps concentrate the squad's firepower.

What's your style?

Re: What's your squad leading style?

My squad leading style is still in its infancy and adapting to very different squad-mate play styles. From a leadership perspective I like to know what is going on with my squad and the enemy--i.e. intelligence gathering basically. Therefore I encourage my squad to keep the chatter fairly high, specific, and useful. (although I agree witih Arithea here--I'm not too strict about casual rounds, and I like to have fun, crack jokes, etc.).

I will say though, it totally depends on the people in your squad. For instance, a few days ago I was in a squad, it was very quiet (in squad TeamSpeak) , but we all seemed to be on the same wavelength. Capturing flags, pushing to the next point, wiping out other squads etc. It was very enjoyable.

I do like my directives to be followed. However, I also realize I am playing with intelligent human beings who can make changes as they see fit on-the-fly according to what I am saying and fellow squad-mates.

Fun, squad cohesiveness, and victory is what I try to aim for. :-)

Comment

What you can expect from me:

Squadmates should expect short, possibly terse, quick, possibly TOO quick call-outs by me. Tangos, objectives. Anyone who's ever been in a squad with me knows what I mean. Chatting just makes me lose first place and Ace Squad. Squadmates should anticipate strategic and EFFICIENT leadership from me.

Expect fireteam strategy. Guerilla tactics. Do not expect me to kill a tango and just maintain my position, expect me to move.

What I expect from you: First off, keep your radio chatter minimal. Call out an objective, let me know when you're engaging a tango, you can even tell me when you're switching rate of fire from auto to single! (as you should). Tell me when you're down, tell me when and where you'll be deploying on.

I expect you to have fast reflexes and low ping. Honestly, the worst thing I've seen on TG and on BF3 TS servers in general are when a squadmate is so busy calling out a target that s/he forgets to shoot on time! And then s/he goes down, and I have to spend time to resurrect my squadmate unnecessarily. Be efficient. I expect efficiency in my squad.

Shoot to kill unless I order "Return fire only." Then don't shoot unless fired upon or I tell you otherwise. This is how I achieve ACE Squad ribbon, don't just gun a tango down just because you see one.

At the beginning of the round, PLEASE tell me what Squad Advantage you are using (Squad Sprint, Squad Ammo, etc). Otherwise there is chance for useless duplication. I expect full variety in my squad.

Finally, if a female joins the squad (assuming all-male squad), don't be a moron and start hitting on her. This speaks lack of focus and I WILL kick you out of my squad. Remember, efficiency.

I. Expect. Efficiency.

Comment

I'll go with your format Ari!

I love to crack a joke, but as an SL, I'm always looking to get the job done to aid the team. I'm a long time squad lead, and I play to utilize the squad I have in the best way possible. I move around, A LOT and quite fast. I'm extremely fluid and flexible in the game plan; be ready for orders to be changed on the fly. When moving, I love to hit way points. Although BF3 does not have a way to mark way points, I'll call out landmarks on the objective to move to. In a firefight, I'm a fighter myself and will lead from the front or taking a squad mate with me to flank the enemy. I never stand still. But with that comes a cost; I often get caught up in micro conflicts, and lose the macro sense of the map. If you're in my squad and you see something of note happening, speak up. I'm always looking for the best thing to do for the team, even if it doesn't come from me. I also talk quite a bit. But despite wanting to play the best we can as a squad, I'm really quite friendly and loose about it all.

What I expect from you:
        Move with me and move quickly. I move a lot, so I know that on the occasion I can run off muttering half to myself. So I expect you to stick with me, and keep in at least minimap view of me. Be ready to move at anytime, and be ready to take the route I designate. With kits, I won't typically specify unless there is a specific need, but I expect medics to revive and heal, support to resupply, and etc. I expect you to be fun and have a good time. Also, talk in TS and communicate so I don't feel like I'm crazy. ;)

Comment

Charge!
          sigpic

Comment

I take responsibility for one part or aspect of the map. A flag, suppressing air, armor, resupplying other squads. It might be the flag nearest the enemy uncap and we'll spend the round scratching and clawing for control, or it might be a back flag and we'll spread out and assist where we can. I don't do much detail assignments, I'll give general directions and trust you to execute the way you see fit.

While I don't usually hop around much, when there is an opening, or something changes, we may move quickly. I issue few direct orders, so when they come, it's usually for a good reason.

What I want from you:
            To take responsibility for one role of the squad and execute. Lots of clear communication. Bring beer.

Comment

I don't often play squad leader, but when I do...

What to Expect from Me:
              I'm still new to squad leading and hopefully I'm getting better at it. I like to take and hold a critical flag on the map. Once my squad has taken a specific flag, we will usually hold/retake that point for the entire round. I try my best to communicate a lot with the squad and give assignments when necessary.

What I Want from You:
              Stick with the squad. If you want to use air assets, use them to support the squad and squads at nearby flags. Communicate (using TS) well with the rest of the squad to increase everyone's situational awareness. Be willing to defend flags rather than jumping from flag to flag constantly.
              sigpic

Comment

have fun and do what we have to do to win XD if there is no order from me just think what is best for the team.

Comment

I hope you like enjoying sitting around. Those back flags aren't gonna defend themselves. So you better grab a beer, pull out the lawn chair and enjoy that chopper get shot at by 6 different .50s and nose dive into that building.

Comment

I don't have an issue most times getting squad members since enough people from the good ol days are generally on, but for the virgins and/or uninitiated:

What you can expect from me: Consistent orders, objectives and context for those orders. Minimal discussion otherwise, unless I'm wasted. Then all bets are off. You can expect me to die. A lot. I'm an aspiring medic's best friend.

What I expect from you: being in TS, participating, and not being uptight. Good feedback on an order if it doesn't make sense to you. A distinct lack of judging my negative K/D ratio. Bonus points if you're a power killer or like to rain death with the SOFLAM.
                    Beatnik

Comment

I am likely non-tactical. I am a squirrel on crack when I play (spawn on me at your own risk), but I think I do OK changing my normal play style when I am SL. I am pretty meat and potatoes as far as moving the squad around or defending, and don't pay good attention to kits unless we have more than two of something.

Effective but laid back?

I noticed that I am pretty talkative when I first get on, but then I slowly fade away as the hours go on, by the end of the night I am pretty much dead air, and I have been accused of leaving w/out saying goodbye for some reason : ) Maybe it's because I am old.

Comment

This came up on wake today with my squad.

"whats the plan boss?"
                        "kill people and take flags"

We ended up having close to 100 kills in the whole squad and were ace squad with the win. A couple rounds before we were getting stomped. Full turn around, excellent work guys!

Pretty much sums it up as far as my SLing goes. As long as there is a medic and you stick close to me..anything and everything goes. Shoot everyone, blow everything up and cap dem flags.
                        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

What to Expect from Me:

I usually play as infantry and typically on a defensive footing. I'm old and slow and CQB is a weakness not a strength. Many times I'll defend sectors that include two key flags. For instance the back flags on Damavand Peak or Gas Station and Army Outpost on Operation Fire Storm. Bleed status is key factor in how the squad deploys. If we are at a key moment in the game and losing on bleed I'll go on the attack. I"m not very specific on kit assignment but at times I may want to run a Jav squad with specific kit layouts for effectiveness. This means being away from the front lines and accepting a supporting role like providing security for the Jav team while they dominate the battlefield.

What I Want from You:

Stick with the squad. Follow orders. If you want to use air assets please branch off. Communicate (using TS) with the squad.. Know how to give a contact report. (bearing, type, disposition) Let the SL lead. I can't tell you how many times I've been SL but __________ is issuing orders like he is the SL. I'll gladly take input about our strategic position but if you want to lead please form your own squad. If it continues I may leave and rejoin to let you lead. If you stick with the squad but aren't on TS that's fine. If you are not on TS and lone wolfing I'll kick you from the squad after a warning or two.
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

What to expect from me:

Making the right moves at the right time (attacking, flanking, defending, supporting), I like to think that I'm pretty good vs infantry so I can really help my squad advance and do what we have to do. And I like to keep it simple and joke around a lot because it's still just a game. Don't think that that means I won't try to win, I'll do anything I have to do to win.

What I want from you:

Follow the simple orders I give you and stick with the squad, get a few kills overall, and the most important thing,...communicate back (and I don't mean yelling out contacts, and other stuff, I mean joke around) and have fun. If the round was fun and we lost I still consider it as a won game.

To sum it up: I like to win and have fun when I play and I do everything I can do to achieve both.
                            ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

My 3D squad leading method (patent pending . . .)

Some details . . .

An example of fireteam management, move out procedure, kit assignment, vehicle coordination,

Another example of fireteam assignment and fireteam management:

A brief example of positioning men in attack posture.

In the following note how I ensure that the fireteams are cohesive and in close contact with each other:

Last edited by E-Male; 12-21-2011, 03:36 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X