Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could put a price on BF3, what would it be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could put a price on BF3, what would it be?

I love BF2 'and all the mods that came out for it over the years. It is one of the few games in my library that has stood the test of time. PR is one of the best games I have ever played and the TG community made it all that much better. I was more than happy to pay full price for BF2 when it came out and I even bought the special forces expansion at full price when that came out. Since BF2, PR and 2142, however, my involvement in the Battlefield series significantly dropped off. I only picked up BF:BC2 when it dropped down to $15 and in my opinion that was about as much as I was willing to spend on it. With that said I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and not buy BF3 until the price drops to at least $30 with the expansion pack because given all that I have seen, heard and read, that is all I feel this game is worth.

I was curious what price the community would put on BF3 and if they felt it truly was a $60-$75 game.

(If I knew how to make a poll I would have done that...)

Re: If you could put a price on BF3, what would it be?

76 hours played and climbing.

It was worth $60.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarthkin View Post
      given all that I have seen, heard and read, that is all I feel this game is worth.
      There's your first problem. Any true negativity I have heard comes from people who play mods of BF2 and expected it to be BF2. I say true negativity because all games have stuff we don't like. I'm talking about those people who will not buy it or bought it and are mad because its not BF2 remastered. Or it's not like one of the mods of BF2 they have played for the last 3 years.

73 hours played and loving every minute of it! add in the free Karkand pack and its value is well over the $45 dollars I paid on Origin. (thanks B-day code :D). This game will hold my attention for a very long time to come....especially if the map sizes are comparable to the karkand pack.
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I've currently payed 84 cents for every hour I've played. Not bad. Definitely worth the price for me. It's a great game and pretty much the biggest gripe about it was solved with the automatic Teamspeak plugin.

And just give it time and there will be mods for it. I'm pretty sure.

Comment

100 hours, 60$, having a blast.

Frustration is the difference between expectations and reality.

I loved BC2, I loved BF2, I loved POE2.

If you figure out how many hours you would have played by buying early and spending 60$, and how many you will play after waiting for it to be 30$, you might find you are sitting out on some principle and missing the best time of the game, which is usually figuring it out along with everyone else and that your cost/hour is the same either way?

If there is a financial reason for waiting, disregard everything I said.

Comment

$60

167 hours played.

:)

(I had over 2000 hours of BF2, with at least 1600 of that being Project Reality)

I see BF3 getting there :)
            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
              $60

167 hours played.

:)
              Do you ever sleep!
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

First off it was worth the money, simply on a time basis I have had my money's worth.

That being said, I feel I should respond to this and provide some balance.

There's your first problem. Any true negativity I have heard comes from people who play mods of BF2 and expected it to be BF2. I say true negativity because all games have stuff we don't like. I'm talking about those people who will not buy it or bought it and are mad because its not BF2 remastered. Or it's not like one of the mods of BF2 they have played for the last 3 years.
                Many players of BF2 and subsequent mods perhaps feel that BF3 is in fact a retrograde step in the BF series, let's not forget we were clearly told this was the 'successor to BF2' etc. We also weren't told (initially) there would be no in game voip. We were told that "PC was the lead platform" etc. BF2 came out how many years ago, this is the sequel, yet they have removed many of the things that are synonymous with the series. Subsequent mods managed to evolve core teamwork related concepts yet not one step forward has been made in that regard in BF3. That has disappointed some people, from all walks of TG. To pretend otherwise is patently false.

However, they promised a game that is unparalled in spectacle and graphics, on that front they have delivered in spades. It is truly spectacular and I have had many 'oh my' moments where I am shot and killed because I am simply looking at the view.

Simply put some people believe the hype and expect more, expect evolution of a series after 5-6 years. Some people are happy with what they are given. Doesn't make either party wrong, doesn't make either gullible or naive does it? Is having high expectations based on arguably false promises any better or worse than accepting the status quo when said promises appear to have been reneged on.

Were this title to be released without any history or precedent I would recommend it to anyone, however I don't doubt for a moment that they would mention the lack of voip, small squads, non 64 player maps like Caspian (a 32 map with acres of dead ground) etc.

To sum up I still recommend it now, it is fun, it's amazing to look at, to experience and that experience is greater with some like minded TG'ers. It does need work, it would be incredible with mods, just incredible.

Comment

Good points Wicks.

I didn't really see any hype. I think I saw a few commercials on TV, and watched a trailer. So my investment in what it was going to be was small. I obviously invested my share of time in BF2 and subsequent mods, but I didn't really have any specific expectations, I was just excited for new maps honestly (and we got old ones too : ).

It's likely psychological, and I am in no way an expert there, but I think the definition of frustration I quoted is dead on - we all brought our own baggage to the party, so it isn't right to make broad statements about how people *should* feel about the new title, which is partly your point I believe. There are some of us that are having fun with it, due to their baggage being lighter : ), and some that just want everyone to be happy <points to self>, and some that are hoping that bringing up the failing points of the title in public forums will drive some change to this game or future games, and so we all have good intent.

I am in the camp that goes 'LaLaLaLaLaLa' with my hands over my digital ears when I sense some of what I perceive (accurately or not) in my own mind as negativity so I can continue to enjoy the game in my own way. That was cathartic to put in writing : )

Comment

No longwinded post from me about it (although I could, but even typing is rough as I just spent 3 hours shoveling snow and my arms feel like they just got put through a meatgrinder), but I also feel that the game is worth the $60 I paid for it.

The hours I've played dont matter. The shine and polish of the game dont matter. Its entirely about how much I enjoy it. If BF3 were a single player game, I wouldnt rate it the same way because of its inherent shortcomings. But when I'm carousing around with the best players on earth and having a blast, we could be playing a game that is nothing more than stick figures who say "pew! pew! pew!" and shooting square-pixel bullets and I'd still think it was worth every penny.

BF3, as life, is exactly what YOU make of it.

Comment

Wicks I wouldn't say anyone is naive or gullible. I spoke my opinion based off of input from countless forums. I have taken on the thought that each installment is unique and that preconceived notions are useless. I take each installment for what it is and expect nothing more. If I enjoy it, great. If not....I'm out the cash.
                      To get back on topic....yes the games worth 60 bucks. Cheapest entertainment around.

Comment

$20. Not a penny more.
                        Sarcoma.

Comment

I think what the OP is trying to ask, is if the game will last as long as BF2/2142/PR or as long as BC2.

Don't want to be negative or disrespectfull when i say this, so my apologies if i offend someone.
                          You can have many hours in a game for now, but can you stil play the game 1 or 2 years from now with full server. Don't know about Bf2, but 2142 was around for at least 3 years with full server and PR is also being patched frequently.
                          With the concept of DLC and new game every 1/2 year(s), it's hard to say if a game will make it that long again.
                          Proud to have been an Irregular!

2142: Medic4Hire - BF4/Origin: MedicNL

Comment

For Battlefield 3? Not a penny more than 30 dollars. DICE have built a pretty, sturdy, foundation, and then used wet styrofoam for the walls and tissue paper for the furniture, not to mention leaving all the half assembled remnants of project they told all the neighbors they would do scattered in the yards.

For Back to Karkand? At least 30 dollars. I struggle to imagine that the same team behind the fiasco in the Paris subway or the monstrosity of back alleys in Tehran are responsible for the stunning vistas of Oman's shores or Wake Island's desolate beauty. It's like a totally different game, and it's absolutely worth the price of admission. My gut feeling is that while BF3 was rushed, the expansions won't be, and that with the help of modders, BF3 will be worth it for a long time.

Comment

Will the game hold me for years and hours like BF2 (with the help of mods) simply no.

Will it be worth the 30 I paid for the base game and B2K mappack, yes. I'm happy with what I got, granted I haven't had the same little feeling inside that i got when i played BF2 though. And in some aspects I feel that the bf feeling has been dumbed down.
                              AnimalMother
                              Ex TG-31st LR
                              "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                              sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...