Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

interesting way to start a video game...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting way to start a video game...

how does this relate to BF3? you tell me.

Re: interesting way to start a video game...

I completely agree, but the problem is that BF3 is by nature a game that's based around competition. Whenever there's competition, most people naturally try to win. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Amnesia is a single-player experience, so winning and losing is significantly less of a factor than competitive games.

I'm not saying it's all about winning, but all things remaining equal, most people care about winning, just to varying degrees. If I had the ideal squad, and lost 5 rounds in a row (as long as we weren't steamrolled), I'd be perfectly content. But I think I'd be just as happy if not a little more to have a less-than-perfect-but-still-very-good squad with some wins thrown in. That being said, I'd rather have a good squad that's competitive but loses than a crappy squad that's steamrolling.

In competitive games, winning is unfortunately a part of immersion, that's just human nature.

Comment

it doesnt, saved you time there, thread over ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
        it doesnt, saved you time there, thread over ;)

lol :)

note: there's no right/wrong answer here - just saw the img on reddit and found it to be thought provoking.

Comment

Have you been on Reddit today Whiskey?:D

Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
          "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Sproge The Crazy Swede

Comment

I don't see any relationship to BF3. BF3 is about winning, but maturely and tactically.

Is it even a game if it isn't about winning and losing? Otherwise, maybe it's just an experience.

Similar to your analogies about you and your buddy playing a racing game, and you slowing down, I don't see it : )

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectNA View Post
              I don't see any relationship to BF3. BF3 is about winning, but maturely and tactically.
              Little twist, for conversation's sake:
              If winning is what we want, then we're abiding by the standards of excellence others set for us. Either the players on the server, or the creators of the game.
              If the self-betterment is the goal instead, then the only limit to our excellence is us.

I personally think self-betterment is a better goal than "winning". Not only do you have no control over whether the team wins, but more importantly, you could run 50/5 and steamroll a team and really not exert yourself mentally. I know I've had plenty of rounds in BF2142 where I won and I felt like I hadn't really learned anything new, hadn't really pushed myself. The environment - the people around me - were setting my standard for what excellence was. I see now that was a silly idea.
              My excellence is when I push myself to the limit, and learn something new. Become better at something.

On the exact opposite side of the spectrum, a brand new player would feel awful according to the environment-set standards of winning in BF3. Everyone is more experienced, and better, hence he's never winning. But that's just plain silly.
              If today he's 10% better at any aspect, he has won by the definition of self-betterment.

I think it's important to candidly evaluate what winning means. Winning means little to nothing if other people determine what we define winning. If we ourselves define what it means to win, according to our own limits, our own goals, then winning is a much more satisfying thing to achieve, and much more conducive to personal growth.

Comment

Great points Z.

I think in order, winning for me is squad winning, then personal winning, then team winning. If I look back on an evening, and I had a good squad experience, and we handled what we needed to handle, that's a winning night for me. I monitor my points per round, my K/D, and other metrics the game gives me to measure my personal performance, so if those are high for a round, I'm winning. Weirdly, team winning is last, probably to your point, that is the least in my control on a decently populated server.

Comment

Relate to BF3? It dosen't, completly different games....

Does it relate to how we should treat the game and play? oh god yes!
                  Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

There should be a super easy troll version of BF3 where you log in and you load a map and the first time you fire your weapon any weapon at another player the screen comes up saying...

"You Win! You have Pwned n00bs! You are hax0r! You gain Rank Colonel 99 and have unlocked all weapons and have gained all ribbons and medals. You are 1337!"

And then the game ends and you never have to play BF3 again because you have won and have achieved everything that can be achieved. The End.
                    "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X