X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactics requirements for good teamplay

Yes, another one of these threads.

No, I am not going to post video links that no one will look at.

I'm just going to list it in bullet point format for the generation of PC gamers that live by the "tl:dr" philosophy.

* When moving across an open field, where there's potential for snipers, have one man cover your advance with suppression fire. You can always restock later and get resupply points.
    * Stop hogging kills. This isn't Call of Duty.
    * Don't res someone just so you can get the points, knowing that you'll get gunned down immediately after rezzing. I'll kick you out of my squad, and I've done this too many times already to a point where it's just frustrating.
    * Keep a 5 to 10 meter distance between you and the next teammate, EVEN IF THEY'RE NOT IN YOUR SQUAD. Seriously, that's just too easy of a shot for anyone, gunner, LAV/BTR, or sniper.
    * If you're going to clear a building, make sure there isn't a teammate ahead of you already doing the same thing. The worst I've seen is when I'm clearing a building via the stairs and a teammate blocks the stairway if I'm getting shot at. Then he moves in and takes the kill. What the hell, mate?
    * When you clear buildings or detect an enemy nearby who hasn't seen you, stop sprinting and start walking instead. Shooting without zooming in your sights in close quarters is actually more recommended than rushing in and trying to zoom in on your scope.
    * TURN OFF YOUR LASER SIGHT AND FLASHLIGHT WHEN ENGAGING MEDIUM/LONG RANGE. This is an ultimate source of frustration. You are making yourself an easier target by having your laser sight or flashlight on while moving long distances or engaging enemies in medium/long range. They can see your light. Turn it off unless you're in CQC battle.
    * Switch to single shot when engaging in long range if your weapon has it. Stop auto firing, it just makes you easier to hit.
    * Guerilla tactics (assuming you're not a sniper). After you take an enemy down, don't hang around. Ever seen anyone play and get MVP status? They are constantly moving (again, assuming not a sniper). Guerilla warfare is key in Battlefield 3.

Be efficient, people.

Re: Tactics requirements for good teamplay

Can you define what you mean by "Don't hog kills"?

Comment

As in, I'm clearly gunning someone down, and someone comes in and steals the kill. Someone always following me and stealing my kills.

Comment

Why should it matter who gets the kill in a team game?
        Skud

Comment

Ok, lemme rephrase that situation.

I am in close quarters combat, as in, 2 feet away from enemy. We are shooting each other. Friendly comes into room, FROM THE OTHER SIDE, and starts gunning tango down. He also guns me down at the same time. This teammate does the same thing FOUR TIMES IN A ROW in separate instances.

Comment

Well in that situation, the only problem is teamkilling not kill stealing.

Former TG-21st
            Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

And after 5 TKs they should be kicked from the server. Problem solved. Negative Reinforcement for Bad Behavior. Isn't there a TK kick/temp ban for PB on the server?

As for stealing kills. Why does it matter? This isn't Call of Duty. A dead enemy is a dead enemy. If you happen to both engage a target at near the same time then mission accomplished and move on. The concept of kill stealing doesn't even exist in the TG lexicon.
              "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
              "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Neil, while I like threads that encourage discussion, I think you've got the wrong audience for your thoughts. It sounds like you've had a lot of frustrating rounds on other servers prior to finding our servers and haven't quite acclimated yet. I understand that these things still happen on the TG servers, but it's generally not TG members who are doing these things--and if it is, they probably aren't aware they're doing them. I'm sure if you see a TG member doing something that you feel discourages proper teamplay and PM them about it, they'd be more than happy to discuss it. They might even have reasons or explanations for their actions that were unclear at the time.

Remember also that our collective focus is on promoting teamwork and maturity, not on winning or gaining as many MVP medals as possible. If we all played for the MVP medal every round our servers would be a very different place.

Comment

Wow what a confusing post. I take it that you've had a bad night of playing and the frustration simply spilled over?

Anyways, I do have one question regarding this part:

* Switch to single shot when engaging in long range if your weapon has it. Stop auto firing, it just makes you easier to hit.

Does auto firing my weapon somehow make me an easier target for the enemy shoot me back? I don't understand this at all, how does my shooting affect their accuracy for the better? I'm thinking that maybe the sentence should have been "Stop auto firing, it just makes it harder for you to hit (your target)" which makes more sense to me. Am I wrong in this?
                  You know what attract bullets the most in Battlefield 3?? MY HEAD!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by neilthecellist View Post
                    Ok, lemme rephrase that situation.

I am in close quarters combat, as in, 2 feet away from enemy. We are shooting each other. Friendly comes into room, FROM THE OTHER SIDE, and starts gunning tango down. He also guns me down at the same time. This teammate does the same thing FOUR TIMES IN A ROW in separate instances.
                    As MacLeod said, that is team killing not kill stealing. This is a kickable offence on the TG servers.

Comment

Tactiacl Gamer is still the best server and community I've ever played with. You have to remember that the server is open to the public,and their will be children playing on the server sometimes. You have to learn to take the good with the bad, and theirs a lot more good than bad here at TG. I have been having more fun here than I ever had any where else.
                      Now if I could just get my mic working in teamspeak again I'd be a happy camper.
                      sigpicBF3

Comment

Most of the time medics attempt the revive to keep you and the squad in the game, its rarely a malicious intention or to rack up points this way. The notion of "kill hogging" is ridiculous, take out the enemy as quick as you can whenever you can.

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

I think I've had as many people bitched at me for NOT running out into the open to try to revive them (and get myself killed in the process) as those who moaned that I "Rambo revived" them on purpose.

Originally posted by Limenote View Post
                          Most of the time medics attempt the revive to keep you and the squad in the game, its rarely a malicious intention or to rack up points this way. The notion of "kill hogging" is ridiculous, take out the enemy as quick as you can whenever you can.
                          You know what attract bullets the most in Battlefield 3?? MY HEAD!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Not to hijack the thread too much, but I'm actually a proponent of reviving whenever you can without killing yourself, even if there's a low chance the guy on the ground with live because:
                            A) there's a chance the enemy won't be shooting at him immediately and he can get up and live, putting your squadmate back in the fight faster and refunding the ticket
                            B) even if the patient is targeted immediately, if he's revived facing the right direction he can put a few round of pistol shots into the attacker before dying
                            C) even if he just dies quickly, he's another 80 health points to have to kill, meaning taking up an extra 2-6 seconds of the enemy's time (depending on whether it forces him to reload or not)

Worst case scenario (again assuming the medic doesn't kill himself) is the patient takes an extra few seconds to spawn. Having the medic endanger himself, *especially* if he's the last squadmate up, it foolish though.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm talking more like, I'm the Squad Leader, I get gunned down and I CLEARLY ORDER my teammate-medic, DO NOT RES ME. He does anyway. We both get gunned down. Yes, he's the last squad mate. When I chastise him, he just goes "meh I wanted the points." Kicking him out of my squad just pisses him off more. Whatever happened to teamwork and obeying orders? This ain't a real military, but I thought TG mandated its players to follow all Squad Leader orders, it's in the Primer.

Arithea, I'd disagree with you there, the TG players I've had the opportunity to lead with are a mixed bag - Some really know how to play (i.e. when in a BTR, the machine gunner and the main gunner should NEVER be firing in the same direction or else your vision gets blurred by each other's smoke from firing rounds). More are just there to just socialize while playing, and when I do a squad kick they get butt hurt. Whatever happened to the command structure, or just FUNDAMENTAL structure in a squad, period? I feel like there's only a small handful of TG gamers who are actually in for the teamwork.

Oh, also, at the same time, I've been in squads with the squad leader issuing good orders, but he does it too slowly. The result? Our squad racks up the worst in KDR, it participates in minimal teamwork but following good orders.

The analogy I can best think of right now is:

You buy a product.
                              You find out through using the product that it's crap. (Doesn't work, missing accessories, whatever)
                              You call customer service.
                              Customer service is PHENOMENAL at treating you like you're a king/queen.
                              But the product is still crap and nothing ever gets fixed.

That's how I feel like most squad leaders are. They are great at issuing orders, but they do it too slowly. Granted, the squadmates follow the SL's orders maybe even to the letter but in the end they accomplish very little to the overall game. They might spend the whole round defending two checkpoints while racking up massively negative KDR and low score on the score board.

On the other hand, I've seen good AND efficient squad leader play. Here's one. Zenchi. He gives good, concise orders while maintaining fast reflexes and a keen environmental awareness. This results in a great squad play, typically ACE squad, and possible MVP status, while maintaining solid teamplay and coordination, satisfying one of the most basic pillars of Battlefield gaming philosophy AND having a fragging good time.

In short, I think most TG gamers who become SL give good orders but they're not EFFICIENT at it. Would be nice if there were a training course that covered this.

That, or require all TG gamers to play Rainbow Six: Raven Shield and the first 4 Ghost Recon games. Toss in ArmA too as an extra credit assignment.

EDIT: Actually, scratch the whole requiring gamers to play a game or complete a training course. Why isn't it just common sense? It's not rocket science and it ain't Calculus III, this is a freaking video game. Why would you want to bunch up in a corridor with a teammate so a BTR can gun all three of you at one time? Why would you give orders so slowly you feel like an inefficient slug? Why do people talk so slowly when they want to say something?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X