DICE discusses BF3 weapon accessory tweaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] DICE discusses BF3 weapon accessory tweaks

DICE’s Alan Kertz took to Reddit the other day to share his thoughts on the current Battlefield 3 weapon accessories and what he feels needs to be tweaked.He asked for community feedback on specific accessories such as the suppressor, heavy barrel, foregrip, etc. Here are some of his thoughts:

Foregrip: plans on adjusting the foregrip on a per-weapon basis, adding 34% reduction in horizontal recoil, based on the gun, and -20% “penalty to base accuracy when aimed”.
    Bipod: a buff for the bipod is likely, since it has to be set up in order to receive the benefits (less recoil, less bullet spread)
    Suppressor: added -50% “penalty to base accuracy from the hip”, +25% bonus to base accuracy when aimed and +10% reduced vertical recoil. Overall, Kertz points out that the suppressor will receive a minor nerf.
    Heavy Barrel: increased max range (damage stays the same), +50% bonus to base accuracy when aimed, -25% penalty to base accuracy from the hip. Overall, the heavy barrel will have less recoil than currently.
    Flash suppressor: Kertz points out that the flash suppressor is “underwhelming” and as a result, it’ll will receive +20% reduced vertical recoil, while getting a -20% penalty to base accuracy from the hip.

Kertz mentioned that these changes aren’t finalized nor does is he promising that they’ll go live. They’re meant to get feedback and start a discussion. You can check out the full Reddit post (and offer your two cents).
    By James Hyde
    Post tags: patch, update, weapon accessories, weapons.

Found this on BF3blog.com http://bf3blog.com/2012/01/dice-disc...essory-tweaks/

They also have some nice panorama map images here http://bf3blog.com/2011/11/battlefie...ma-map-images/
    sigpicBF3

Re: DICE discusses BF3 weapon accessory tweaks

I do not really like the changes. It seems DICE wants people to sit with bipods and be passive. )-:
    "veritas vos liberabit"

Comment

Originally posted by BarrytBaptist View Post
      I do not really like the changes. It seems DICE wants people to sit with bipods and be passive. )-:
      Or use LMGs like support weapons and not just put foregrips on everything and treat them like ARs with 100rd magazines. Just a thought.

Definitely a fan of the foregrip and suppressor changes, at the moment, I dont use anything else on any of my guns.
      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I have to agree with Razcsak. The support guns (and I do love them) are too awesome when fitted with the foregrip. Foregrip or not, they should be harder to use without a bipod. To me it would have been better if DICE had simply limited what weapons could get the foregrip rather than gimp it for all weapons.

Comment

Maybe I'm just horrible with Support LMG's, but to me they shoot nothing like the AR's even with a foregrip attached.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

If you are playing on a large chaotic server where no one is watching and you can sneak up on everyone, the LMG's are effective enough. In one on one fights where accuracy and twitch are critical, if two evenly skilled players meet, the one with the assault rifle should win every time. The AR's simply have faster on-the-run quick scoping accuracy than the LMG's do. Someone made a video a while ago showing LMG accuracy while moving/right after stopping, and after waiting a second or so before shooting. The accuracy when firing on the run or right as the person stopped was horrid compared to the accuracy after waiting a second, and the assault rifles do not have this issue. The LMG's back in BC2 were much more accurate than the ones in BF3.

The main advantage that I think most people get with the LMG's is that with the large ammo counts, you can sit there and keep on shooting, and if the guy with the assault rifle can not get you before he has to reload he is pretty much dead.

Former TG-21st
            Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
              Maybe I'm just horrible with Support LMG's, but to me they shoot nothing like the AR's even with a foregrip attached.
              Any of the magazine-fed ones are basically ARs. Shoot the same round, have equivalent RoFs, and have competitive accuracy. Not having to reload helps a lot too.

And they aren't gimping the foregrip, they're making you actually have to make a choice, kind of like every other unlock. Suppressor has advantages and disadvantages. So does the heavy barrel, the flash suppressor, the laser, the flashlight (in the case of the last two, you can remove both the advantage and disadvantage at will), and each of the scopes. By contrast, unless you are equipping the M320, on some guns only, for a almost completely insignificant weaponswitch decrease, you are giving up nothing at all for the foregrip. It is a complete no-brainer. Now you have to pick between recoil (so, cqc) and initial aimed accuracy. Foregrip guns are going to be as good now in cqc and hipfiring as they were before, but they're not going to be as good at range. Sometimes, picking "none" should be a good choice for an upgrade! (I never used to equip the heavy barrel before, simply because I didn't like what it did. Until I unlock suppressors or the PKA 3.4 sight, I usually don't put anything in those slots).

edit: While the suppressor does have both advantages and disadvantages, the advantages almost completely outweigh the disadvantages. Now that they're nerfing the aimed accuracy bonus (seriously, it used to give exactly the same aiming bonus as the heavy barrel, but instead of giving you a recoil penalty, your recoil went down greatly) it won't always be the best option. I hope.
              I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                Or use LMGs like support weapons and not just put foregrips on everything and treat them like ARs with 100rd magazines. Just a thought.

Definitely a fan of the foregrip and suppressor changes, at the moment, I dont use anything else on any of my guns.
                I play assault 80 percent of my time. I pop few bullets here and there and move all the time. Do you consider foregrip and suppressor changes beneficial to assault class?
                "veritas vos liberabit"

Comment

Too many videogame numbers. Foregrips help control recoil. They don't increase or decrease accuracy of the weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                    If you are playing on a large chaotic server where no one is watching and you can sneak up on everyone, the LMG's are effective enough. In one on one fights where accuracy and twitch are critical, if two evenly skilled players meet, the one with the assault rifle should win every time. The AR's simply have faster on-the-run quick scoping accuracy than the LMG's do. Someone made a video a while ago showing LMG accuracy while moving/right after stopping, and after waiting a second or so before shooting. The accuracy when firing on the run or right as the person stopped was horrid compared to the accuracy after waiting a second, and the assault rifles do not have this issue. The LMG's back in BC2 were much more accurate than the ones in BF3.

The main advantage that I think most people get with the LMG's is that with the large ammo counts, you can sit there and keep on shooting, and if the guy with the assault rifle can not get you before he has to reload he is pretty much dead.
                    The LMG's in BC2 were completely imbalanced for the size of the maps. They fit BF3 much better.
                    Skud

Comment

Originally posted by BarrytBaptist View Post
                      I play assault 80 percent of my time. I pop few bullets here and there and move all the time. Do you consider foregrip and suppressor changes beneficial to assault class?
                      Absolutely. Encouraging a slight, but noticeable difference between ARs at different ranges is a good thing for all classes. None of them significantly nerf the assault class, except for the foregrip change, and that only, again, makes you play slightly differently depending on which gun you have. I would like to see all carbines get hit with accuracy penalties, but that's more to make assaults the best at killing infantry. Right now assault and engineer don't feel too different.

Also important to think about: Suppressors are put on LMGs all the time too. The main thing about LMGs is their recoil makes them hard to control at range, but a foregrip/silenced LMG hangles pretty damn nicely. It'd be nice to see supports have to use their bipod if they want that accuracy.

Comment

Agreed 100% Raczsak.

One of the things that BC2 did so badly was class differentiation due to uber unrealistic/non-sensical weapon behaviour.

Snipers acting like assault. LMG's behaving like assault rifles, shotgun sipping, pdw kills from across the map etc.

Long guns should struggle for accuracy unless prone or at least crouched for a reasonable length of time. LMG should be deadly when deployed but cumbersome when on the move. Carbines should be great up close but have penalties at range. AR's should be the only class that slightly overlaps due to the nature of the weapon. Within those groupings the attachments should play to one strength or the other.

I think BF3 does a far better job of making that distinction than BC2 and at first glance the tweaking could help improve on that.

I don't see selective nerfs and buffs as a homogenisation of the weapons, quite the opposite in fact. I see it as redefining and clearly drawing up the proper distinctions between weapons and classes in a manner that makes choice more tactical, encourages more varied and logical playstyles and hopefully, ultimately gives the game the much needed depth that this system promises.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                          I think BF3 does a far better job of making that distinction than BC2 and at first glance the tweaking could help improve on that.
                          Very true. For the most part, in BF3 there is actual differentiation in the weapons. In BC2, every LMG, SMG and AR could be shot with laser accuracy, the only difference was the damage per bullet.
                          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by KoopaTroopa View Post
                            Too many videogame numbers. Foregrips help control recoil. They don't increase or decrease accuracy of the weapon.
                            Agreed. Some of these changes may be good for "game balance" but if you stop to think about the physics and real application on actual guns they are kinda dumb.

Comment

Bi-Pod should stop left and right sway but unless it's bolted or sandbagged to the platform it will not stop upward motion with each shot but it might decrease it a little bit just from the additional weight of the bi-pod. I don't see a bi-pod being used on anything except marksman/sniper rifles and LMG.

A Silencer should decrease bullet travel speed and hence bullet drop but should not effect any deviation left, right or center more than a tiny bit less. BTW a silencer is NOT silent on a rifle. It's still rather loud. So anyone within 30m should still hear a muffled *pak!* easily. BTW a Silencer on a LMG or Shotgun is laughable and comical and dumb.

Foregrip is meant obviously meant for the user to have better control over your rifle rather than holding the fore end stock of the rifle. Which should mean less upward and left and right deviation but in the game it's just upward deviation. A Foregrip on a LMG is silly most of the time.

A longer Heavy Barrel should only effect overall accuracy of the bullet over range (stays on target longer) but should not effect movement of the gun other than adding weight to the front end so maybe a little bit more stability. Extended range is more the result of a more powerful round so technically if the Heavy Barrel increases the range of a weapon that means a higher powered bullet is being used which should increase damage or at least penetration power through things.

The Flash Suppressor does really nothing to any mechanics of the weapon it should change nothing but suppress the flash (duh). As little as this matter most of the time I don't even see why it's not just free of any negatives at all.

The Laser Pointer is exactly what it says and should not effect any mechanic of the gun but in the game it gives you a hip fire bonus and I can see that so I'm good with it.

When you add game mechanics and tweaks and stats and deviations and all that to any add-on that effects the base stats of a series of weapons unless you plan on crunching numbers with every possible combination you will always have some special combo with a few guns that will give the edge to those few. It will happen. You can never really rely on player feedback at all. They may alert you to an unbalance but the numbers never lie if crunched correctly.
                              "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                              "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X