This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wrong to use the M98B in CQC?

I like playing with the Sniper rifles in BF3, and given the health settings on your servers, the M98B is a one hit kill up to a certain range. Some people have been upset with me for running around with a M98B + acog/m145. Should I not be using it?

Personally I don't see it as game-breaking, not in the way it was in BFBC2. Sure, I can get a 1 shot kill with a body shot, but I could do the same with one burst from my kh2002 with a lot more room for error.
    I don't see it as anymore immersion-breaking than people running around with a LMG + foregrip.

I'll totally stop if people at TG don't like me using it, but its really not "unfair."

Re: Is it wrong to use the M98B in CQC?

There are a hundred posts discussing the "Assault Sniper" configuration of the Recon kit. Play with your squad, follow orders, and use your gadgets to help provide intel for your team. Everything else is just tactics, some are less cheesy than others.

Comment

IMO, I wouldn't say its unfair per se, but it is strange, and I know its frowned upon by some. :-) DICE should implement some mechanic where they are basically useless in CQC combat, i.e. long time to bring scope up maybe. For me, recon is about taking out targets long range, and knowing the battlefield and passing that info on to your squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuddly View Post
        I like playing with the Sniper rifles in BF3, and given the health settings on your servers, the M98B is a one hit kill up to a certain range. Some people have been upset with me for running around with a M98B + acog/m145. Should I not be using it?

Personally I don't see it as game-breaking, not in the way it was in BFBC2. Sure, I can get a 1 shot kill with a body shot, but I could do the same with one burst from my kh2002 with a lot more room for error.
        I don't see it as anymore immersion-breaking than people running around with a LMG + foregrip.

I'll totally stop if people at TG don't like me using it, but its really not "unfair."
        Chuddly here is the thing. What is a sniper rifle intended for? Long range overwatch or cq combat. I am the one who gives you the grief over it. Mainly because your a good player. Good players need to be examples on our servers. When i did call u out last night your comment was the "1 shot kills our tg's fault for a reduced health server ".......really? If i run into you cq in a real world scenario i highly doubt you would have a sniper rifle in your hands.......you would have a cq weapon of some type. Do you see where i am going with this? I am giving my take on it. I am not an admin so its not my call. I will say this though, we do not allow people to use mav's to kill people on our server because its not the use it's intended for. How is using a intended long range weapon in cq any different. I am seeing bolt action rifles set up with grip, red dot, and laser......seriously???? I see guys spamming the semi auto rifles with red dots and grips. There is only one reason to run these types of kits and that's to take advantage of a reduced health settings on our servers. I hope u can see that i would like to see u step up and lead by example instead of being one of the joe blow masses that try and take advantage of our server settings because you can ;)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

It depends.
          I use my sniper with iron sights in the city's or urban areas to give cover to my team.
          It all depends on how you are using it within CQC

Comment

The thing is, like chuddly mentioned, unlike in BC2 using sniper rifles close range in BF3 is actually less effective than running around with assault rifles so it is not like he is getting any unfair advantage from it. If you run into a sniper who is 10 feet away and he sees you and turns and kills you, I do not see what difference that is from simply using a sniper rifle in semi-close quarters anyways. Heck, if I have a sniper on my team I would hope they would be up close and in the fight, because snipers who are really far away usually do not help the team at all. The main situation that arises here is game mechanics vs. realism, however in this case due to the small-ish maps if you were to pull out the realism card then snipers would never be used at all (can you imagine a real life sniper being sent into the grand bazaar? I cant), and it is unfair to completely not allow a class or type of weapon to be used (and it is against the EULA) so really I am probably going to have to side with chuddly on this.

Overall though, it is a judgement call where you must ask yourself what your intentions in the certain situation are.

Former TG-21st
            Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Anyone here ever meet a guy going by the name Chris Hooper, he played 2142 on the TG server. He would almost exclusively use the Recon Kit with the default sniper rifle. The rifle would be lethal to the head, while doing around 70 percent to the body.

He would carry this thing into close combat, despite the fact that the thing fired slower than molasses going uphill in January, and be as effective as anyone else in the fight. He could no scope and quick scope peoples heads like no ones business.

I don't see any problem with bringing a sniper rifle, especially since they can remove their scopes and run with iron sights.
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

But other games didnt have add ons like bf3. Laser = better hip firing........and snipers are using it in our servers. Im sorry but i cant respect anyone using a laser and grip on a sniper kit when its obvious they are just using the gun set up that way for the 1 shot kill aspect on our servers. Especially when i can hear them rapid firing left and right in our server. Again....my opinion take it for what its worth. We at tg should be better than that.

"Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                  I see guys spamming the semi auto rifles with red dots and grips. There is only one reason to run these types of kits and that's to take advantage of a reduced health settings on our servers.
                  I don't see what's wrong with putting red dots and foregrips on a semi auto rifle. It's a semi auto rifle. It still fires slow, inaccurate from the hip and it's still not as good in CQB as an SMG or assault rifle.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I don't think laser sights do much for bolt action rifles. Even stationary and prone, the hip fire spread for bolt actions is larger than for a moving assualt rifle. I just put it on because I like how it looks, and nothing else useful goes in that slot ^_^

Comment

I actually like using some of the sniper rifles when another kit is not needed by the squad. I either use Iron sights or the red dot. I stick with my squad and am as effective as I am with the other kits. I use it more like a WWII combat rifle then a sniper rifle. My use of the sniper rifle has nothing to do with the reduced health on our servers. The fact hadn't ocured to me until reading this thread.

p.s. I don't use the laser pointer on any of my kits since getting blinded by others really annoys me and I have a standing rule that when in combat if blinded by laser or tac light I shoot the holder and hope it was an enemy afterwards.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                        Anyone here ever meet a guy going by the name Chris Hooper, he played 2142 on the TG server. He would almost exclusively use the Recon Kit with the default sniper rifle. The rifle would be lethal to the head, while doing around 70 percent to the body.

He would carry this thing into close combat, despite the fact that the thing fired slower than molasses going uphill in January, and be as effective as anyone else in the fight. He could no scope and quick scope peoples heads like no ones business.

I don't see any problem with bringing a sniper rifle, especially since they can remove their scopes and run with iron sights.

I remember Cooper, but I agree. I don't see any problem with it unless it's a glitch, etc. Obviously we make different ROE for things such as mortars but I don't discriminate against those that are using weapons within DICE's design.
                        A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

This is a clash between game mechanics vs realism like MacLeod already said. What would you like more in your squad? A recon that helps you cap flags even though he has a sniper rifle or a recon sniping from far away (that does not help defend flags, also doesn't help cap them) which is more what would happen in reality. 80% of guys that use that kind of setup use it because it's fun and if used properly the MAV helps a lot.

Personally, I hate it more when my whole team goes recon and shoots from 500m, even though we'd lose I'd still rather see them at least try to break through with their kit. Just how I see it.

I wonder what would happen in real wars if they were won by capping flags, lol
                          ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Personally DICE's design is irrelevant to TG as regards the Primer.

I don't allow that config of the kit in my squads when I play, period.

Also the purpose of a long gun is long range target interdiction. I don't have an issue with someone going 'sniper Recon' using the weapon realistically. Not being on the flag in that specific instance doesn't necessarily mean you aren't helping. That individual maybe providing good Intel, hindering enemy squads movement, finishing off 'hiders' on flags and controlling open areas.

The problem is when everyone does it. That is a human nature problem, people selecting weapons and kits for their own ends rather than team needs.

A great deal of the time I don't want a Recon in my squad full stop, there is sadly rarely a shortage of such kits in a given team and I'd rather have an engy, more ammo or another assault medic.

People choose that set up for the one shot kills, its contrary to a realistic use of the weapon (see Primer) and its a fairly selfish layout squad wise. Why, because when I'm crossing a street I want suppression, when I am covering you I have a 30 round mag and I will dump the lot to try and keep you alive, you on the other hand might get 2 or 3 shots off if you're lucky in CQB. Congrats another no scope kill for a wubstep video.....and we're both dead.

The fact that someone is team focused but plays unrealistically or in a borderline exploitation manner does not, to my mind at least, cancel the other out, "I Spam rockets at infantry exclusively but its ok because I capped a flag", "you're bunny hopping", "its ok I'm on my way to an objective".

Lowest common denominator vs Tactical Gamer. Shouldn't we be aspiring to play this a little better than other servers rather than just achieving whatever is ok.

Chuddly please note I am not addressing you specifically, you raise an interesting point. Also I am not an Admin or Officer for BF3 therefore these are my personal views.

Comment

Once again.....wicks puts to words what i can't. Thanks wicks, you nailed my thoughts exactly!!!
                              Also it should be noted that there are plenty of very capable cqc weaponry available to to the recon class......which leads me to believe its not the "kit " that is wanting to be used but rather the gun for the 1shot kill aspect.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X