Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karkand Defense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [AAR] Karkand Defense

    Here is the first part of a complete unedited record of how I attack Alpha flag on Karkand and defend Alpha and Bravo. The strategy almost always leads to a win for the team.

    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: Karkand Defense

    Good stuff...What's interesting is my strategy on the Russian side is to establish a blocking position on the right flank...just about where you took up your position. Has worked wonders a couple of times...not so well a couple of other times. It's easy to maintain on initial contact but after that US tends to mass on the flank and overwhelm us driving us back towards D. Strategy for me is to prevent US from getting behind and taking Suburbs.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Karkand Defense

      Yes, the Russians must hold Delta. I usually set up at Echo when on the RU team and prevent the enemy from crossing the train tracks/river and support assaults on Delta. We should have a 1stMIP SOP when leading two squads for the Russian team -- one defending the tracks/Echo and one focused on Delta.

      Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
      Good stuff...What's interesting is my strategy on the Russian side is to establish a blocking position on the right flank...just about where you took up your position. Has worked wonders a couple of times...not so well a couple of other times. It's easy to maintain on initial contact but after that US tends to mass on the flank and overwhelm us driving us back towards D. Strategy for me is to prevent US from getting behind and taking Suburbs.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Karkand Defense

        I notice you use the Colorblind color scheme, is that out of necessity? Im not colorblind but I prefer the colors.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Karkand Defense

          Please dont stop making videos.

          Edit:
          Feedback-

          Why do you just stay in one place?
          You were on that rock for like, 11 minutes.

          I know staying there is a good way to overwatch the area, but why not go up more to one of the two houses?

          *Red Areas

          You get a good view of 3 roads.

          Its a great place to set up 2 squads.

          Anyway, if you have a answer to this, please tell.


          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Karkand Defense

            Excellent question.

            What you propose would not be a defense of ALPHA and BRAVO flags.

            Keep in mind the objective of my (US TEAM) strategy:

            Main objective:

            Defend Alpha (this is the least defended flag and the primary target of a flanking enemy).

            Secondary objectives:

            Defend Bravo (as is seen in my video, our forward defense of Alpha provides excellent overwatch on Bravo and proximity for rapid response to Bravo)

            Prevent enemy incursions from Alpha's forward right flank (note that we only take up the forward right position when Bravo is in our team's control. When Bravo falls I pull my men back to the initial left flank defense of Alpha).

            Take out armor at Foxtrot and Echo (you can see BobCappicino doing this to great effect in the video).

            Prevent enemy from crossing the river at Foxtrot.

            Provide aide to Bravo and Charlie.


            As to why do I stay in one place.

            A fair question.

            I have found over the years that the more I move the more I make myself vulnerable to the enemy. I take a "Zen" approach to war. Stillness -- let the enemy come to me.

            By remaining relatively still I am better able to build a more complete situation awareness.

            I am better able to command and process information coming from my squad mates.

            I am more aware of my immediate surroundings and probable threats.

            Unlike many, my primary goal as squad leader is to stay alive.

            Death interrupts situation awareness and flow.

            This is not the only nor the best way to lead, but it is the way that best suits me!

            E-Male

            And yes, the haters and kiddies on the Battlelog forums will not discourage me from making videos. I find their comments to be very helpful in my study of the culture of online gaming.






            Originally posted by FullMetalOTN View Post
            Please dont stop making videos.

            Edit:
            Feedback-

            Why do you just stay in one place?
            You were on that rock for like, 11 minutes.

            I know staying there is a good way to overwatch the area, but why not go up more to one of the two houses?

            *Red Areas

            You get a good view of 3 roads.

            Its a great place to set up 2 squads.

            Anyway, if you have a answer to this, please tell.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Karkand Defense

              Parts Two and Three:



              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Karkand Defense

                Originally posted by E-Male View Post

                And yes, the haters and kiddies on the Battlelog forums will not discourage me from making videos. I find their comments to be very helpful in my study of the culture of online gaming.
                Community at large seems to be focused in KDR and large numbers, in part because how battlelog and bf3 stat sites work or put emphasis on. Your videos target a different audience, just look at the amount of videos of bf3 about doing useless stunts.

                I wish TG could provide bootcamps or trainings more often/regular, perhaps even requiring people to be "approved" by it before using the TG tag.
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Karkand Defense

                  It's great to see this; I spent a good portion of last night settled in the rock formation between the US Deploy point and Alpha, not moving, and picking off targets as the larger team (e.g., other squads) moved in to capture/recapture the flag point. Coming from an ARMA background, it was the first time in BF3 where I felt like I was playing something tactical rather than twitchy.

                  Alas, for a proper radio communications setup, with command coordinating squads. We could have really organized a proper approach. :)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Karkand Defense

                    Originally posted by ellF View Post
                    It's great to see this; I spent a good portion of last night settled in the rock formation between the US Deploy point and Alpha, not moving, and picking off targets as the larger team (e.g., other squads) moved in to capture/recapture the flag point. Coming from an ARMA background, it was the first time in BF3 where I felt like I was playing something tactical rather than twitchy.

                    Alas, for a proper radio communications setup, with command coordinating squads. We could have really organized a proper approach. :)
                    Isn't it curious no one squad took it upon themselves to sweep your position to secure the flank. Likely they died, spawned on a forward member and moved on to the next kill. I would ask my squad mate how and where they were killed respond in kind to eliminate the threat. Especially one so close to the main base. That is, if my squad was deployed close by.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Karkand Defense

                      Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      Isn't it curious no one squad took it upon themselves to sweep your position to secure the flank. Likely they died, spawned on a forward member and moved on to the next kill. I would ask my squad mate how and where they were killed respond in kind to eliminate the threat. Especially one so close to the main base. That is, if my squad was deployed close by.
                      There was no interest; I asked for reinforcements, and the guys declared Alpha "too hot" and moved to capture Echo. I asked for permission to stay put and hold Alpha, and did my best to do so; the SL provided some overwatch with a drone, but absent covering firing, I was flanked repeatedly.

                      I think this is the main issue I have with intra-squad tactics in BF3; in ARMA, I'd have flagged the opfor advance to my SL, who would route that back to command for assessment. In most circumstances, I'd expect command to order a second squad to either provide support or to close and secure the building/flag while I continued to act as a forward observer.

                      Not saying I did not have fun, it's just a very different game.

                      Comment

                      Connect

                      Collapse

                      TeamSpeak 3 Server

                      Collapse

                      Advertisement

                      Collapse

                      Twitter Feed

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X