About That MAV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About That MAV

I do not see the MAV in much use on the TG servers (although I may be mistaken) and wonder why this is so.

I find that when it is seen by my squad mates it is identified (called out to the rest of the squad), targeted, and promptly destroyed.

What are your thoughts regarding the MAV -- not how it COULD be use by how it is encountered and currently used here at TG.

E-Male
    sigpic

Re: About That MAV

I think a reason is the time it takes to move it and fly it.

Most people just fly it around and scan the other team.
    I on the other hand, use it and place it on a roof or a out of reach area to give an AOE scan effect in the placed area.

So lets say we are playing on Gulf.
    We are heading towards construction site.
    I fly the MAV on a ledge out of reach and it scans the area for out incoming squad.

It allows us to have an active Radar, with the use of our full squad

Comment

Since we disallow roadkills with the MAV, I think that's turned a lot of people off to it. They'd rather get kills and points with the MAV then spot with the team, making the MAV a no-go.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
      <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
      DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I use it to take out soflam and spawn beacon all the time. I believe Javelins take it out though. Something that locks on does. That is a big negative. Spotting troops, taking out enemy equipment, huge boon. Giving squadmates directions on how to avoid and flank enemy, priceless. Low key break from shooting things, great with beer.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
          Since we disallow roadkills with the MAV, I think that's turned a lot of people off to it. They'd rather get kills and points with the MAV then spot with the team, making the MAV a no-go.
          Bit reaching...

I see it used quite often. Everyone here loves a free radar.
          Skud

Comment

Today's Rush maps had one in the air almost every map. It was handy.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
              Do you mean turning TG members off of it? Or just people in general? I've never seen a TG member using the MAV for roadkills, even in the short period before it was banned outright.

I think the primary reason why people don't use it is because it takes you out of the fight. Sure you can park it on a rooftop and leapfrog it around as a mobile TUGS, but you still have to devote several seconds to using it.

It is a very useful piece of equipment though. A good communicative player in a MAV can easily offset the (temporary) loss of one player from a squad. It helps a lot when attacking a flag if you have a squadmate painting enemies on your minimap and telling you over Voip precisely where each enemy is and what they're doing.

As for parking the MAV, I usually run the TUGS simply because I can place it in half the time I can place and exit the MAV. TUGS also has a lower profile, making it harder to identify. I find I can be a lot more mobile with the TUGS as it's upkeep is less of a time commitment.

Basically, I usually ask what my SL wants from me when I play Recon, and if he/she doesn't have a gadget preference I'll pick based on what map and squad style. Vehicle heavy maps I bring SOFLAM. Mixed maps I'll bring TUGS if we're defending points or very mobile, and MAV if we're sticking to a set zone or specifically attacking flags.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Speaking of the MAV, is it an unwritten rule not to attach C4 to it and blow things, people up? :-)

Comment

If I ever found myself playing recon the first thing I do is deploy my MAV on the position that we're currently defending or popular hot-spots or choke points within the map. Just let it sit and I move. When the battle shifts I'll grab another from supply and redeploy. Yes, it may take some extra time flying the MAV getting it into position but it lets me place it somewhere that I normally couldn't go without the possibility of dying.
                  A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
                    Speaking of the MAV, is it an unwritten rule not to attach C4 to it and blow things, people up? :-)
                    Use weapons and equipment as intended.

Yes, it's not allowed here.
                    Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheLancerMancer View Post
                      Do you mean turning TG members off of it? Or just people in general? I've never seen a TG member using the MAV for roadkills, even in the short period before it was banned outright.
                      People in general. While pubbing on a lot of servers, i've had the nifty experience of seeing entire squads on karkand and oman get mowed down by an MAV suddenly swooping in at 90mph from around a corner or up above.

As you say, it takes you out of the fight, so they bring it TO the fight instead, as a disposable tiny finger of god to mush people with while they're safe in a building, and then come out and cap.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                      <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                      DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

MAV does not make noise when dormant in autonomous mode. TUGS make beeping sounds. The beeping sound sometimes can give your position away in the area. MAV also have the added bonus of being able to be put in locations that can't be traversed such as top of buildings while still offering the proximity warning as well as if placed facing a traversed area below it spots all incoming enemy. TUGS may be quicker but MAVs are more useful. Soon DICE claims they will remove the ability to MAV fly with it so no more Snipers in odd unreachable locations.
                        "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                        "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                          Use weapons and equipment as intended.

Yes, it's not allowed here.

I'm going to call balderdash! Not because I like getting roadkills with the MAV, but because I'm apprised of it's tactical potential as an explosive payload deployment platform.

The name of the vehicle is the T-Hawk or Tarantula Hawk. The Tarantula Hawk is a species of wasp that paralyzes spiders and lays eggs in them, which hatch and consume the spider from the inside out. This grim image should give you some idea of the intended application of the platform. It's not just for observation. As detailed in this essay: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA406943 the MAV has applications including explosives deployment. Certainly sending an MAV with an explosive charge on an EOD mission is not out of the question. What about using it to affix a magnetic charge to the roof of a moving car, detonate a fragmentary explosive in a crowded room (after flying through a window) or deploying a shaped charge like a SLAM to the roof of an armored vehicle. Personally, using the MAV to deploy C4 seems like a 100% legitimate tactic and I'd contest that administrative ruling of it as unrealistic. This is a platform with a lot of unexplored potential.

Sure, there are weight concerns (seeing as it's already carrying camera and EWAR modules, but C4 is definitely alright. As an aside, anybody know if you can mount a claymore on an MAV? o.O

Comment

Um, the ability to attach C4 to a MAV has been removed from the game a long time ago, so I fail to see how this point is anything but moot. Move along, please.
                            <insert signature spam here>

Comment

Originally posted by Lekdevil.NL View Post
                              Um, the ability to attach C4 to a MAV has been removed from the game a long time ago, so I fail to see how this point is anything but moot. Move along, please.
                              This. C4'ing a MAV is not possible, as the charges will bounce off and land nearby.

Further, if it were still possible, it would entail the destruction of the MAV itself, which is not how it's real life counterpart(s) would be intended to function. It would not be allowed here anyway.

[/tangent]

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X