The Minimap and You

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Minimap and You

We've all seen it--the small, blue blob of lit-up shapes in the bottom left-hand corner of the HUD. But what on earth is it for? And why does the compass never stay still? It's so small--how can you possibly see anything useful on it?

Here's the lowdown, folks. I know most of us are pretty familiar with the minimap and how it works, but bear with me for a bit in case anyone's just getting to know it. The minimap shows all sorts of things: where the enemy is if they're spotted, where control points or MCOMMs are, where friendlies are, where your squad leader is, and where all the friendly vehicles--manned or unmanned--can be found. So how do you use it? Well, the small version is always at the bottom left of your screen, but if you punch the M key, it expands to about a quarter of the screen. More importantly, the N key changes the level of zoom on the map itself. By default the minimap is zoomed in pretty close, but it has three different levels of zoom to choose from! One of them even shows the entire battlefield.

So what does this mean for you? While it's easy to get lost in the details on the minimap and forget that people are likely to be shooting at you any second, it's not a bad idea to check the minimap every so often, especially if you're a squad leader. It gives you a better idea of the overall state of the battlefield, which lets you make more informed and better tactical decisions. It can serve as an early warning that a control point is about to be lost or an enemy vehicle is headed your way. Or it can help you decide whether to stay at the point your squad has just taken and defend it or go support another flag-capturing effort, depending on where the rest of your team is headed.

More information is never a bad thing on the battlefield. The minimap is one of the greatest intelligence assets built into the game, so let's get out there and make good use of it!

Re: The Minimap and You

it's a shame it's a blue on blue blob with blue blobs on blue... with some TINY green and red arrows thrown on top of it.

the BF3 minimap suuuuuuuuuucks.
    It needs to be bigger and less blue... (and hitting 'M' to make it bigger doesn't always help)
    I dunno if it's as bad on lower res monitors, but at 1920x1200, it's illegible

it's been posted before, and I'll post it again:

Comment

Looking at the minimap is especially important on TG servers as we only have 2d spotting on the map and even then it disappears fairly quick.

Originally posted by chapel976 View Post
      it's a shame it's a blue on blue blob with blue blobs on blue... with some TINY green and red arrows thrown on top of it.

the BF3 minimap suuuuuuuuuucks.
      It needs to be bigger and less blue... (and hitting 'M' to make it bigger doesn't always help)
      I dunno if it's as bad on lower res monitors, but at 1920x1200, it's illegible

it's been posted before, and I'll post it again:
      ##See Original Post for Image##
      Too much reinventing the wheel has resulted in the blob mini-map.
      sigpic

Comment

Regardless of how terrible the minimap is or isn't, what we have is what we'll get. If we can learn to use it to our advantage, it can be a huge benefit.

Comment

the minimap is basically your best friend, it tells you who is around and where the enemy is. i use that minimap 24/7 when i play lol with out it i'd be semi blind

Comment

The blue squares on top of the minimap represent the control points in conquest: A, B, C, D, E.

When an enemy enters the cap radius the square starts blinking. It serves as an early warning before the flag goes neutral, so it's well worth paying attention to the squares.
            former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Originally posted by TlgKill View Post
              the minimap is basically your best friend, it tells you who is around and where the enemy is. i use that minimap 24/7 when i play lol with out it i'd be semi blind
              Yeah me too. The mini-map, even as it is now, is invaluable. It goes a little way to make up for the lack of SA caused by the tunnelled view of the battlefield you get through your monitor. I always spot people if shooting them is not an immediate option and announce the spot to my squad so they'll be prompted to look at their mini maps. The internal scrim reminded me how spotting has always been essential in the battlefield series. Even now I see videos of TG battlefield old-schoolers miss shots that their squad could have made had they been spotted instead. If it's not a duel situation with the enemy, and I've got the jump on them, I'll spot first then shoot and announce. Sometimes I think it's better to get the spot bonus than give away my position for a bad shot my team members are better positioned for.
              Last edited by CoiledTortoise; 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

When I drive a fastmover or a tank I tend to have the minimap expanded at medium zoomlevel. That way I get an early warning of spotted enemies. It really helps when you move fast.
                sigpic

Comment

Great post Arithea. The mini-map may be imperfect but that doesn't make it any less invaluable!

Comment

The large mini-map is very handy when you are in a tank, keep it open and zoom in a little to see tanks that have been spotted on the field near your location.

Here is an excellent video from Exploding_Silver showing how effective it can be.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X