The Commander Faction Strategy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Commander Faction Strategy

I have been puzzling over how to implement the commander (CO) role in BF3 and thought the subject might merit further exploration here.

The main impediment to the CO role is the lack of a communication system. Using Whisper has opened my eyes to a new possibility beyond the SquadTalk plugin.

Here is what I propose to do on occasion:

Using Chat and Whisper I will contact squad leaders (SLs) and ask if they wish to join the CO 'Faction'. Those that do will be added to my Whisper list and placed under my command. I will use Whisper to send orders to the SLs. They will use Chat, Whisper, or SquadTalk to send requests and situation reports back to me.

Initially I expect to see only one or two SLs participating in this trial of the CO Faction. I also expect that comms moving upstream to me will be awkward and fragmented due to the limitation of Chat, the limited adoption of SquadTalk, and the lack of knowledge about how to use Whisper.

I plan to overcome this problem in SL-to-CO comms by giving simple orders within simple strategies: Squad A hold/attack Bravo flag (and continue to do so until further orders).

Basically, my plan is to use Whisper to assign squads to zones and flags so as to minimize flag hopping within the team, redundancies at any given zone, and establish stable front lines.

My hope is that as the CO Faction trial progresses, more SLs will want to participate, and more SLs will begin to use either SquadTalk or Whisper for communication to the CO.

I think that a few people really do want to play with a CO and I think that those that do will eventually put in the effort to learn Whisper or get SquadTalk enabled so as to talk to the CO.

I have no idea if the overall concept will work, but I see no reason to not try it. I do not expect to see all or many squads joining in -- but even two or three squads coordinated via a CO could be a game changer. Obviously, if my test is successful then others will want to run COs on the opposing team, so the use of CO would grow organically and represent a choice by the TG community.

The beauty of this plan is that no SL will be required to participate and participation takes nothing away from the ability of others to enjoy the game.

I would like your comments on this plan.

E-Male
    sigpic

Re: The Commander Faction Strategy

A very good plan, I like the idea of it.
    You know how SL's to that chat command ingame.

Maybe there can be some kind of command that makes SL's enter the CO's whisper list in which the CO talks to call squad leaders.
    All SL's hear plans for other SL's.

I would actually like to learn all the SL and whisper list stuff.

If you need a ginnypig to test this out I'm on most of the time

Comment

Add me to this as well, I'd like to see more cordination on the maps.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm willing to give this a try with you as well E-male. If you see me SLing just add me to your CO list - even if I'm on the other team:).

As of right now though, if you have updated your TS to API 15(?) the Squadtalk plugin doesn't work at the moment. Teamsync is running beautifully though. If anyone has seen/heard of an update for Squadtalk I would love to have it working again.
        sigpic

Comment

The Commander Faction -- Intent to Participate

If you are willing to give this a try as a squad leader please indicate so here in this forum -- that will make it easier for me to decide when to launch the faction (when I see a few of you in as SLs on my team).

Those who "sign up" will not be expected to participate in every iteration of the CO Faction.

Below is the training film on the use of Whisper (try it before the Faction starts -- it is quite easy).

Thanks for your interest!

sigpic

Comment

Sign me up

sigpic

Comment

I'm up for this as well.

Comment

I would happily use squadtalk/whisper more on all but my most lazy of days!
                sigpic

Comment

Very detailed plan indeed but a bit complicated. Fortunately i have one word for you: Mumble.
                  sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I don't SL very often, but I'd be up for this when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                      Very detailed plan indeed but a bit complicated. Fortunately i have one word for you: Mumble.
                      Hmm, I thought it was quite simple.

In its simplest form:

Put the willing SLs in my Whisper list (30 to 60 seconds).

Give command of my squad to my Bravo2

Give orders to the squad leaders.

I have yet to implement the CO Faction as I am still assessing the support, but it looks like we have enough to give it a trial run soon.

Six supporters so far.

As to Mumble. Most do not use it. Everyone in TG has Whisper.

The biggest complication I see is that the TG Teamspeak scrambles squad order each round, so the SLs will need to reform their units.

That scramble function is very disruptive and should be stopped.
                      sigpic

Comment

Certainly achievable but one X factor is those that join the server but don't participate in our forum discussions. You are bound to get some push back from at least one or two of those people and this is the kind of thing that gets screwed up bad if everyone but one SL is participating. So...for day to day play on the servers I think it would be a challenge at times to get everyone on board and running in the short time between rounds.

I think chances of success in this approach increase markedly in a more controlled scrim or password type environment. Not saying I'm not willing to try it but I don't think it's as simple as just saying lets do it.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Grunt,

The CO Faction plan is 'factional' -- it does not depend upon or require all SLs to participate. It is merely en extension of the two-squad platoon that we have used on occasion with some success.

So SLs that do not participate will not necessarily scuttle the plan or the strategies.
                          sigpic

Comment

I propose a Commander password nite.

We've seen the difference a good commander makes in the past 2 scrims. I'm all for encouraging more of that goodness on a nightly/weekly basis. My squad will be awaiting orders.

Sign me up.

Comment

I'm going with Bear on this one. A organised event will produce better results than trying to throw an idea together on the server on the fly.

That being said comms is going to be the hardest step to get right. The right combination of teamspeak and brains will help but I imagine it is going to take a few weeks to get right. From my experience, identifying who was talking so I knew who I was giving orders to was the hardest thing in the scrim. Either a good overlay needs to become common or we need a solid, easy, and standard naming convention for the squads (alpha, bravo... could work but no one seems to like that all too much).

I love the idea of playing with COs (this is battlefield after all) but it is going to be key to get a system set up right and make it easy for everyone.
                              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X