Blackout Movement - Battlefield 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackout Movement - Battlefield 3

I knew eventually a single community would get influential enough to attempt to create a movement in the gaming community as a whole. In this case it's the protesting of how EA/DICE has treated not only it's customers but it's fans and it's more organized communities such as Tactical Gamer.

Please read.

The Article Link: http://battlefieldo.com/threads/blac...81/#post-40258

"Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Re: Blackout Movement - Battlefield 3

Sorry I can't read that over all the fun I have.

[sarcasm detectors set to on, please]

See, here's the thing: It seems people are treating a video game as serious as actual political movements. Think about that one. A video game is entertainment.

So yeah, I'd really like for DICE to communicate more too, and I'd really like for them to fix VIP slots, balance issues, blah blah blah myriad of issues - but the game is still fun and I'm not going to stop playing it to "stick it to EA/DICE (man)" - because then I'm really only punishing myself, aren't I? I mean, nobody even forces me or anyone else to play now. BF3 is my FPS of choice, but I play a lot of other games... I feel like some people take BF3 so seriously that they forget it's just one video game among many out there.

So... people don't play for 24 hours... does that really hurt EA or DICE? No. Because they still have your money. You giveth. You do not taketh.

I mean, come on guys... I see people in the comment section talking about revolution and quoting Rage Against the Machine lyrics. Come on.
    Skud

Comment

Not playing Battlefield 3 for 24 hours is as effective as a moment of silence at a stadium. There is an impact but the size of it is yet to be determined.
      "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I think being somewhat misled about a product, ie voip, downright lied to "PC is the lead platform" and then disrespect "we only said PC was the lead platform because PC gamers would complain" merits some sort of action, don't you? Certainly better than apathy.

Unfortunately the games industry doesn't seem to have to abide to the same rules as many others as regards borderline false advertising etc. Sadly the market they cater to has little collective memory, is as much as the marketplace is constantly refreshed with new consumers who will be unaware of previous let downs by a company. There is less consequence for the big developers when they fail to deliver or simply churn out annual updates or rehashes. The market is ever replenishing with new kids on consoles who 'have to have' the latest hoped blockbuster, it doesn't matter that you lost x number of loyal fans because you picked up xx more new ones who don't care.

The games industry is constantly complaining that it wants to be recognised and respected as a mature and valid business and art form, yet in the same breath it treats its customers with utter disdain. The likes of Kotick and his derisory comments about gamers/consumers!! In most other markets that kind of utter contempt for the people that are key to your success, put food on your table metaphorically, would see stocks take a dump and the ill informed loud mouth sacked on the spot.

We feed this ignorant beast by continuing to buy unfinished products off the back of hype and empty promises. More of these companies need to be held accountable, there are numerous ways to do that and I see this 'protest' as being as valid as any other. Not playing will have little to no immediate, direct impact on EA. However publicity from such a 'movement' may well do. Afterall a significant amount of development time for modern 'blockbuster' titles seems to be entirely focused on publicity alone judging by the quality of the finished product.

Good on them, at least they are attempting to be heard.

Apologies for typos, stupid phone.

Comment

I can't help feeling like this should have been done four months ago to have any merit.
          It's a good thing that they want to do something and I hope they succeed, but I won't "go on strike" for a piece of software just because it could be better.

If anything, these "demands" should be put forward before the release of the next BF game.
          "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Wow... stop playing the game for one whole day? Hell... I've stopped playing for days/weeks now and most of my buddies stopped weeks/months before I did.
            You know what would work better? Boycotting FUTURE EA games. Threats against their future cash flows will get their attention, not this black out.
            You know what attract bullets the most in Battlefield 3?? MY HEAD!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
              Sorry I can't read that over all the fun I have.

[sarcasm detectors set to on, please]

See, here's the thing: It seems people are treating a video game as serious as actual political movements. Think about that one. A video game is entertainment.

So yeah, I'd really like for DICE to communicate more too, and I'd really like for them to fix VIP slots, balance issues, blah blah blah myriad of issues - but the game is still fun and I'm not going to stop playing it to "stick it to EA/DICE (man)" - because then I'm really only punishing myself, aren't I? I mean, nobody even forces me or anyone else to play now. BF3 is my FPS of choice, but I play a lot of other games... I feel like some people take BF3 so seriously that they forget it's just one video game among many out there.

So... people don't play for 24 hours... does that really hurt EA or DICE? No. Because they still have your money. You giveth. You do not taketh.

I mean, come on guys... I see people in the comment section talking about revolution and quoting Rage Against the Machine lyrics. Come on.
              Some people are not happy with battlefield 3 and I agree with them as to why. If they want to protest go for it, if you don't want then don't. You do what you want with your free time.

Comment

Things can always be improved upon but I just spent 15 minutes reading about the next BF3 patch. Lots of neat fixes and tweaks. Granted, no voip and that's a big mistake but....The game is out, people have bought it, are buying it, and so what does something like this really accomplish. Maybe I'm in the minority but I see DICE actively patching the game on a regular basis and while I'd like to see things like a commander and voip the effort DICE puts into gameplay improvement is fairly satisfying to me. The idea seems like a waste of time that has it's genesis from a bunch of petulant fan boys.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I think they punished themselves by messing up the whole voip thing, I think many people play alot less than they would if voip was set up properly.

Comment

I read about this yesterday, hours before zh1nt0 released his post on the uk forums. If one were to be suspicious enough the timing of the patch notes could almost be seen as a reaction to the article about the #BF3Blackout. But that would be taking things to far......wouldn't it??

Either way, it is good to see a community acting instead of just talking. How much good it will do *shrugs shoulders* I don't know. I play the game and enjoy it still because of the community that I am part of. Could the game be better? sure. Did they lie and leave key features out? sure. Does any of that take away from the enjoyment that I get? not really I just take it for what it is.

The question is will TG take an official stance on this?

I'm good either way.
                    sigpic

Comment

pc is less than 15% of the total bf3 sales. Of that market, probably 20% at the most care about the missing VOIP and other issues. So we are talking about ~ 3 percent of their customers are not completely satisfied with their purchase due to these issues.

Imagine if 3% of a company's customers boycotted that product for 1 day. Meh. good luck tho.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well it's already done 1 thing. Patch notes and comprehensive tweak list delivered the day after.

And it's not like it will change anything big but it's doing the one thing it needed to do. It demonstrates that communities are disgruntled in a very public fashion. And that display in an organized way inspires action. The message is to get out the message. That's kinda the point.

@Science - If you read the message nothing about this is about game mechanics or features. It more about customer service, communication and community management. And those aspects involved all players not just PC. That community has forums filled with console players. Hence there is no PC only message here.

Sent from HTC EVO via Tapatalk

Comment

My only problem with something like this is for you to stop playing, you must have already purchased the game. If you already purchased the game, then big deal on whether you play or don't play to EA/Dice. It it no way hurts them to have you not play for a day. I think it would hilarious if they released a patch on this day with new goodies ( I would just to show the pointlessness of it) Now, if everyone who wants to blackout avoids purchasing any DLC....then maybe they pay attention. That could be the only real reason to do this, essentially show how many sheep exist in the gaming community. Because if you really didn't enjoy it you wouldn't be playing so you couldn't stop playing. Its a commercial decision, by a commercial entity, for an entertainment product. Nothing more. Speak with currency, its the only language they understand.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

http://battlefieldo.com/index.php?threads/3907/

Blackout Update: We Spoke, They Listened

Sent from HTC EVO via Tapatalk

Comment

They try to avoid damage to their brand name(s) as well when they think there is more potential value left in them.
                              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X