Soflams pointed at the carrier?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soflams pointed at the carrier?

Really? Is that the TG way? SoFlams and Javelins????? Tonight at approximately 8:30pm on the Noshahr Canals map, on the TacticalGamer.com - Large Maps Only, TeamSync VOIP, FF On server. People were aiming the soflams at the Carriers as people were deploying. Now, while I expect that to be on one of the 1337 servers, I expect more of a TG server? What happened to self-policing and respect? It was weird seeing people write up in all chat "People are aiming soflams at the carrier..LOL" It makes the game not fun, not worth spending time playing. It's really a matter of whether the community wants a thriving atmosphere or not. In the past, something like that would be an instant ban. Now, I am a person who believes it's up to the individual player to be responsible, but if that's the cesspool people want to wallow in, go have a party. Normally, I don't come and rant on the boards, but tonight it got to me.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Re: Soflams pointed at the carrier?

No, it's not. But it's also quite a poorly designed map. From the hilltops above Charlie flag (our first flag) we could unfortuantely laze ANYTHING on the carrier. The soflams are semi-autonomous and can do this on their own. Another problem is sometimes laze confusion, where you try to laze a target safely away from the carrier but the laze attaches to something on the carrier instead.

Not saying that round was perfect, but don't automatically assume people were intentionally lazing the carrier 100% of the time.

Really wish the carrier was more than a throw and skip from the shoreline. Completely unrealistic - limitation is of map design.
    Skud

Comment

I got locked and fired on while inside the belly of the ship, they all missed and hit the deck.
      But yes, its a bad map for 3 flags

Comment

The more I play with vehicles.....the more i see the TG way go out the window sad to say. The other issue is the HP settings. All the L33T snipers running acog for no scope sway or glare.....and then lasers for hip shooting so they can take ADVANTAGE of our HP settings......... Really? People need to quit doing everything the game allows and start playing with some standards.
        Oh and that same round photo mentioned.....yeah I jav'd an attack heli right out of the gate hell bent on getting back to our non cap to kill everything as soon as it left the fence. It did get the buggy about 20 feet past the fence. It had TG guys in it.
        Great sportsmanship.
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
          No, it's not. But it's also quite a poorly designed map. From the hilltops above Charlie flag (our first flag) we could unfortuantely laze ANYTHING on the carrier. The soflams are semi-autonomous and can do this on their own. Another problem is sometimes laze confusion, where you try to laze a target safely away from the carrier but the laze attaches to something on the carrier instead.

Not saying that round was perfect, but don't automatically assume people were intentionally lazing the carrier 100% of the time.

Really wish the carrier was more than a throw and skip from the shoreline. Completely unrealistic - limitation is of map design.
          Man, I remember when we could drive the carrier.

Now to the other posts, I just have one opinion that has been created: We are letting our standards internally slide. If we really want a server that can be run effectively in the TG way, then we probably could only do that if the community decides to password one server... Mind you that is hoping that TG'ers would follow the rules and abide by TG standards...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I was on that map, and without D and E to take some pressure off the shoreline. Nothing is getting out of the water or off the carrier. You can't help but lock with the SoFlam, even with it parked behind C. I was running Stingers but never got a kill, 'cause of the Jav's taking things out.

I do have a counter argument though, and I have seen this as well on TG, SoFlams on the Carrier aimed at the shore. We can't fire on them to bring them down, as they are in the UCB and someone could be next to it taking fire then reporting me for firing on the UCB. Technically we can't even fire at all because the SoFlam isn't shooting at us.
            sigpic

Comment

People shouldn't be setting up soflams on the carrier if they can avoid it.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                People shouldn't be setting up soflams on the carrier if they can avoid it.
                Really?

Shouldn't this read: "People shouldn't set up soflams on the carrier."

I realize this is poor map design, but doesn't this fall into the same category of using the CRAM to shoot infantry?
                On canals last night we got taken out above C with it.

All the maps have issues, aren't we supposed to rise above them and apply a higher standard? That is what I have understood from reading the Primer and my time in this community.
                sigpic

Comment

I sort of think we got destroyed pretty fairly, but I did almost rage quit while trying to assault Noshahr. I made about 10 attempts in APCs and AAV and made it to shore once. The chopper was the only way you could even get a foot-hold. Someone had the audacity to tell us to go in another direction than towards land, like we had a choice.

Perhaps it's a side effect of the map trying to scale with the player count and it's not able to provide enough flags for us to attempt to take. Maybe 3 Flags for 20 people to defend doesn't force enough gaps in defences. I'm not sure what the new settings are but I imagine different maps need to scale at different rates according to player count.

EDIT: This game http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...ow/22623472/1/

Comment

You know, I have no problem with the fact that it's difficult to get a beach head...I really do as that's war,and realistic. However, the fact is we can't move the carriers, we can't choose a starting point otherwise, which is unrealistic, and should have adjustments made to compensate. That's all I'm trying to say. I don't care about getting capped out, or beaten badly...it's just an unfair disadvantaged starting point, and giving the other team an opportunity to get out of the gate.

There was a map on BF2142 that if you had the first flag, and pressed deeper, you could completely box the team in on the uncap, but we never did it because it was a community that wanted to play fair and have a challenge for both sides. Sadly, that wasn't present last night.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Originally posted by Photometric View Post
                      There was a map on BF2142 that if you had the first flag, and pressed deeper, you could completely box the team in on the uncap, but we never did it because it was a community that wanted to play fair and have a challenge for both sides. Sadly, that wasn't present last night.
                      Going to ask you what map this was, since I can't ever recall being ordered to OR giving an order to back off a flag for "giving someone a fair fight". Not taking a flag because that over-extends your team and makes you vulnerable to a back-cap, sure, but not for a "fair fight." I think you've got some mighty pink glasses on.

3 flags means you're pushed back to spawn, which means...what? Soflam's don't have a range. What is a fair range for infantry to engage oncoming APCs/AAVs? And how do you make it enforceable? Its no different from the opening to Wake Conquest/Rush, the opening to Kharg Rush, or what can happen to the US on Oman. Essentially, Noshahr would play better if it was a Conquest assault map, with the US having all points to start but could get capped out. If you've been pushed back to your carrier, you're effectively capped out. Still have ways out, too. Smoke stops Javs and MAVs destroy SOFLAMs pretty easily. Granted, neither are foolproof, and lazing AIR assets before they've had a chance to move is a bit much (since they, unfortunately, don't have a way to avoid a Jav once its fired) but...

Basically, what would you have the community do? In detail, not "play fair"
                      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Shouldn't this read: "People shouldn't set up soflams on the carrier."
                        I don't see a big difference between the two. "No teamkilling" versus "No intentional teamkilling". Pretty sure it has been written both ways and means the same thing here.

Someone had the audacity to tell us to go in another direction than towards land, like we had a choice.
                        That was me. Did you try it? Because most of what I saw was people flying very obviously straight at the land with big "shootme" signs flashing over their heads. Except for that one helo that flew around the long way, he made it.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

There are ways to place SoFlam's on the map to insure that they do no lock on the carrier and still be able to be effective at denying AAV and APC land access. Recons just have to keep the Carrier out of the viewfinder. For the 3 flag map only, maybe we should install a Stinger only policy on aircraft. Obviously, vehicles and other aircraft are exempt, as they have weapons specifically designed to take on aircraft. Another idea is to instill a RU UCB spawn only, as it's so far from the three flags that it would give time for the US to get on shore and develop a beach head. In the end, it would be ultimately up to the community to honor these policies, similar to the no armor until 8v8.

Side note: Anyone try to deploy a MAV while riding shotgun in the chopper? This might be a way to "sneak" one in to destroy SoFlams and spot enemy personel. As you are mobile, the enemy will have a hard time finding you, until the Jav kills the chopper. Anyway, might look into this further and see how it pan's out.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xen View Post
                            For the 3 flag map only, maybe we should install a Stinger only policy on aircraft.
                            I think this would be against official public server rules. Unless, it's a gentleman's agreement, of course. Which might be what you meant.

Side note: Anyone try to deploy a MAV while riding shotgun in the chopper? This might be a way to "sneak" one in to destroy SoFlams and spot enemy personel. As you are mobile, the enemy will have a hard time finding you, until the Jav kills the chopper. Anyway, might look into this further and see how it pan's out.
                            You can't control MAV or SOFLAM from inside of a vehicle (in a seat where you can use your weapons). It would be cool if you could, but I've tried it and it won't let you.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
                              I think this would be against official public server rules. Unless, it's a gentleman's agreement, of course. Which might be what you meant.
                              Yes, that is what i ment.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...