Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting post re. teamplay vs. self-gain

http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/c...e_root_of_all/

Fella advocates the only way to advance your soldier is through team wins - everyone on the winning team gets an equal number of points to advance their unlocks, losing team gets nothing. What do ya'll think? Seems like an interesting way to promote teamplay.

Re: Interesting post re. teamplay vs. self-gain

Good players would stick together even more in order to get points especially if those points do something besides look cool. Like give access to better equipment.

That is the first thought that comes to mind.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Would be nice with a server setting that doubles all the scores on the winning team. Could be a nice motivator for teamplay.
      sigpic

Comment

It's an interesting idea. I wonder what the points would look like if they took all the point earning actions of a side then divided them evenly across the whole team at the end. Then reward the best players on a side with some bonus points for topping some category. I don't have the best twitch skills and prefer playing defense, so for me, it would be a huge point boost. But for those on the front lines, attacking flag to flag it would likely be a point drop, but the team as a whole would likely advance more quickly. I'd love to see a game try something like this.

Comment

Why not only award points for teamwork oriented goals instead of bonus' or self achievements.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
            Why not only award points for teamwork oriented goals instead of bonus' or self achievements.
            This is better.
            sigpic

Comment

A wild Zhohar appears!

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                The original post suggests that Battlefield doesn't reward teamwork fairly. Quote:

Originally posted by OP
                A transport chopper pilot might drop a squad behind the enemy lines, who then captures a flag, allowing friendlies to spawn there, trapping the enemies in a crossfire and ultimately winning the round. The pilot gets 0 score

Comment

Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
                  it's actually not straight-forward to reward teamwork fairly.
                  It never is.

In this scenario, the pilot would need to be rewarded for successful transport of the troops themselves regardless of their effectiveness after insertion. He probably won't score very high, but that shouldn't be the point. Helping the team is. Thus the problem with most point/award systems. In PR my individual score was irrelevant. Contributing to the team was all that mattered. Here it is largely the same (for me anyway). I won't lie, I like some of the nifty stats like claymore kills, but I'd like to think I don't pursue that over teamwork.

Comment

Right, what do and don't you count as team oriented? Hard to imagine how the system would be able to track who did what and how it relates to the teams goals points wise.

Comment

Originally posted by shellfishguy View Post
                      Right, what do and don't you count as team oriented? Hard to imagine how the system would be able to track who did what and how it relates to the teams goals points wise.
                      The complexity could get enormous. The solution could be to have micro objectives and when successfully executed in combinations gets you extra teamwork points.
                      sigpic

Comment

Reward people for teamwork, but double it for winning team. If you give the losing team nothing, some people may never unlock things. Or they have a hard time trying, when they play on a bad side.
                        Proud to have been an Irregular!

2142: Medic4Hire - BF4/Origin: MedicNL

Comment

The problem with only giving points to the winning side is that you give selfish players even more incentive to teamswitch to the stronger team while simultaneously making it less likely for players to help balance teams by voluntarily switching to a losing side. It also further promotes the idea that winning is the only thing that matters which can have a fairly negative impact on a server environment.
                          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Winning post +rep

Comment

This idea has merit, provoking team wide play on a large scale like this would not necessarily change individual tactics as those are personal preferences. The rewarding of equal points for the team win would be nice though. As previously mentioned there would still be a desire for individual stats to a degree, especially when it comes to accuracy and k/d. Not rewarding them as is done now though would be a big switch. BF3 has attempted to do this with little things like the suppression bonus as an example, they could have taken it farther though by increasing points for other team actions. Using a soflam should get you more than 10 points, piloting a Transport chopper should give an amount of points based on the length of time you keep it up, how many kills your gunner's got, how many flags you took/dropped troops at. I realize that it is not as easy as just saying "it should be this way", but it would be a start.

I would be interested in seeing a game come out like this. Maybe this is one of the suggestion/ideas that should be put forth to a game developer like Christian Allen with his new project, it's supposed to be a tactical fps that is different from the norm that we have been seeing.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X