Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA exploring Battlefield subscription service

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-expl...ervice-6366335

I apologize in advance if this has been posted before. Not sure how the rest of you feel about this, but to me, this is a worrying sight. Looks like CoD's Elite subscription service has piqued EA's interest on how to "maximize investment".

If this does happen, I may stop playing Battlefield games altogether. I'm already pessimistic about the new DLC's and this is just driving my desire away from playing Battlefield games even further in the future.

Your thoughts?

Re: EA exploring Battlefield subscription service

Let's not panic just yet, and let's not turn this into yet another DICE/EA bashing thread.

http://n4g.com/news/960502/dice-resp...tion-ausgamers

Speaking with AusGamers, DICE's Patrick Bach responded to the rumour of a subscription model coming for Battlefield 3's multiplayer.

"I don’t know where that rumour came from," he told the site. "No, again we’re focusing on the stuff that we know people want, and then how we distribute that... that’s for the future."

He also talked about the potential for single-player content coming down the track with a wry "nothing is impossible".

Comment

I read about that earlier this week too. It is understandable from a business standpoint, it keeps revenue flowing in, which then makes it easier to justify keeping staff working on a project. I took from it that it would be something that they would look at for future releases, not something they would attempt to apply to BF3. That would end in a rather large outcry from the consumer's especially the PC crowd.

I haven't paid for a subscription to play a game before, I like paying upfront, and if the DLC's that are released are worth it. I can't see paying a monthly amount for a game unless quality content is being added on the same basis.

So I'm not worried about it for BF3, but who knows what the future will hold?!
      sigpic

Comment

Personally, if a Subscription would in return guarantee a continuous and regular support from the developer, in the form of frequent patches that address game issues and include feature requests from the gaming community, I would be all in favor for it. I mean, how many of us actually have a TG Subscription? We have one at TG because we know that our money is well invested in the support of a community that makes the game more enjoyable to us. The same thinking can apply to a Subscription game plan.

Imagine if the PC community had a subscription. The income could have justified having a larger crew dedicated to the PC version of the game, and perhaps include things like in-game VOIP, better squad management, perhaps even 6-man squads, and who knows maybe even larger maps catered to the PC game! They have a hard time justifying developing for PC in particular because of the lower numbers of customers that buy the game compared to consoles. But if that pool of players were to pay a monthly subscription fee, then It would only make sense for them to see the PC Gamers as a VERY good source of income. So logically, they'd want to keep the subscriptions LIVE, and for that, they'd have to provide the community with quality content/fixes/patches, etc.

Think about it. It's not THAT different than what we Supporting Members do at TG.
        |TG|drjones666

Comment

I wouldn't go into panic mode. Consider that we already have more features with standard battlelog than CoD elite... I don't think we need to worry about being charged or paying for standard stuff we already enjoy.

If they want to make some new stuff I'm totally OK with it. Looks like, from the quote, they are being careful about how to distribute stuff.
          Skud

Comment

They seem so desperate to emulate Activision, sad for everyone who isn't a stock holder.

Comment

You guys are complaining about $50 a year subscription to play all their games and yet you pay $107 a year just to talk about it?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJOnes666 View Post
                Personally, if a Subscription would in return guarantee a continuous and regular support from the developer, in the form of frequent patches that address game issues and include feature requests from the gaming community, I would be all in favor for it. I mean, how many of us actually have a TG Subscription? We have one at TG because we know that our money is well invested in the support of a community that makes the game more enjoyable to us. The same thinking can apply to a Subscription game plan.

Imagine if the PC community had a subscription. The income could have justified having a larger crew dedicated to the PC version of the game, and perhaps include things like in-game VOIP, better squad management, perhaps even 6-man squads, and who knows maybe even larger maps catered to the PC game! They have a hard time justifying developing for PC in particular because of the lower numbers of customers that buy the game compared to consoles. But if that pool of players were to pay a monthly subscription fee, then It would only make sense for them to see the PC Gamers as a VERY good source of income. So logically, they'd want to keep the subscriptions LIVE, and for that, they'd have to provide the community with quality content/fixes/patches, etc.

Think about it. It's not THAT different than what we Supporting Members do at TG.
                This sums it up nicely for me. I get a huge return on BF3. I just crossed 200 hours. I don't watch TV. For me, this looks good, *as long as* there were some way to ensure that this results in something better in the product, which would be a trust thing to start.....

Comment

Originally posted by DrJOnes666 View Post

Aren't those features that should be included from the start though? I mean we all paid $60 more or less, it's not like we're complaining about features that were left out of a free game. I'm really not trying to be negative here and I personally wouldn't have an issue with some kind of subscription service if it actually provided additional value and content on top of what we're used to, but selling basic functionality that we've come to expect as a subscription service isn't appealing to me.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I was basing my response on the assumption that it wouldn't be 60$ up front, that it would be more of a pay as you go. I wasn't using BF3 as an example, but the next title, since I already paid my 60$ : )

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                      Aren't those features that should be included from the start though? I mean we all paid $60 more or less, it's not like we're complaining about features that were left out of a free game. I'm really not trying to be negative here and I personally wouldn't have an issue with some kind of subscription service if it actually provided additional value and content on top of what we're used to, but selling basic functionality that we've come to expect as a subscription service isn't appealing to me.
                      I know some of those features were alluded to on the interwebs, but unless they were explicitly on the list of includes on the box(or digital download description) they should not have been included. I believe the demo had 4 man squads and no voip, so not much of a surprise that the release didn't. I don't think BF3 is quite on the level of Frontlines: Fuel of War

I'm of the ilk, I paid 60 bones for a game I spend countless hours enjoying. I do not believe my $60 entitles me to any additional features or functionality based on previous or other titles. I believe my $60 lets me play the game that was described at the time of purchase with technical support to assure I can play. I'm also the kind of person that never gets upset about a fast food order being screwed up, so that may explain it.

I think many of the complaints about BF3 are that it isn't BF2 with achievements for every little thing and fancy graphics. Only made worse by reintroducing the old maps. I personally would love commander, VOIP, and 6 man squads to be reintroduced. I would be happy to pay for such an addition. However, I don't feel EA owes it to me because the game has titled Battlefield 3.

I currently pay roughly $5 a month for Xbox Live and feel that is a value and $8 for Netflix and think it is a great value. I think a subscription to EA for quality content or guaranteed service would be fine, but only if it truly adds something to the game I already purchased or provides a quality service (like Xbox Live) for games I have already purchased.
                      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

"If they add something" and "a trust issue", two major bones of contention, yet to be seen and in light of recent past....well. I think merely accepting every monetisation drive by developers without a health degree of suspicion is dangerous. We appear to be happy enough with retrograde development as long as a feature wasn't explicitly promised in legally binding form on box art, only alluded to in manure laden 'tweets' etc.

Used to be you bought a mp game and the company supported it for a good while afterwards. Then DLC arrived and initially at least it was a bonus and not intrinsic to the core product. Now we have a stripped back multi platform product, DLC that to be honest is essential as the new maps are inferior to the older DLC. Next we have the potential 'subscription'. Just how many times are people expected to pay before we get a complete product.

Sounds like a slippery slope to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                          I believe my $60 lets me play the game that was described at the time of purchase with technical support to assure I can play.
                          Many of us here feel that the game ISN'T what they described at the time of purchase. They said PC would have VoIP and not have to worry, there was a heavy focus on incorporating teamwork, that it's a true BF title, and that PC was the main platform. Provided they failed to meet any of these promises, we're stuck holding the bill and very little to show for it. We're not asking for additional features, we're asking for features that they said would be in there from the get-go.

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                            I know some of those features were alluded to on the interwebs, but unless they were explicitly on the list of includes on the box(or digital download description) they should not have been included.
                            I think you're missing the point I was trying to make. DrJones was suggesting that it would be a good idea if PC gamers could pay for these cool, PC-specific features through a subscription service. I'm simply saying I'm not interested in paying a monthly sub for "features" that in my opinion should be standard functionality. Could you imagine if Dice released a VOIP DLC pack that cost $20? Or if they offered Commander and 6-man squad functionality in a $5 add-on pack? It's not the price that's the issue, it's the insulting idea of stripping basic features from a game only to sell them back to you as DLC. This is all hypothetical of course and I'm simply discussing it because it was brought up, I realize Dice isn't actually proposing this.

FWIW the $60 I spent on BF3 was money well spent from my perspective. I've spent well over 100 hours in the game and have had good times playing it.
                            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Agreed Voodoo based on the scenario you presented. In the general sense, I would support paying a monthly subscription instead of an up front fee, *if* that in turn keeps the developer more engaged with the title. This is a standard model (SaaS) that if it stopped the tendency to release and forget, I would support. I know I am making some assumptions about how this vague, rumored model would work in the first place : )

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X