aspects of the game that the patch did not touch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aspects of the game that the patch did not touch

The last patch led to a vast overall improvement, especially in the userfriendlyness of the game. I personally don't care too much about minor balancing issues and all the weapon tweaks. What matters for me are good gameplay mechanics and a thoughtout userinterface. The patch made the game play much more comfortale by adding and improving features that help the player handle the game - for example added letters to flags on theoverview-map in teh spawn screen, the improved commorose or the "create-squad" feature. There were a lot of improvememst like these. I am very happy about hat. BUT, still many critical things have been untouched and some of the improvements could have been done better. For the latter goes - for instance - the missing of custom-squads. You can create squads now, that is great, but still you cannot create custom squads, which can be given names to (e. g.: "air-support" or "PTFO-Squad"). That to me is an exceptional annoyance as they decided to give the option to create squads like in previous BF-games but then stopped half way not also making it possible to create custom squads! Okay, to the former: One of the things that have not been woked on is the customization-menue. It still is a pain to deal with, and I cannot understand how they could not rework it, as it is one of the aspects of the game that annoyes me - and I think I am not alone here - the most.

I am interessted in your opinios on the topic and would like, if you like, collecting entities that need to be improved next:

- needed: custom squads
    - to be improved: customizations menu
    - needed: selecting spawnpoint on overview-map in spawn menu
    - needed: bigger spawn menu overview-map

Re: aspects of the game that the patch did not touch

Originally posted by Evilhardt View Post
    - needed: custom squads
    - to be improved: customizations menu
    - needed: selecting spawnpoint on overview-map in spawn menu
    - needed: bigger spawn menu overview-map
    On your points.

Custom Squads: I would love to see custom squads like they were in BF2 because it helped with squad roles on the server. But without in game squad VOIP I think it's one of those improvements that won't see much of a return. That feature was more a helping tool for teamwork. Without VOIP that teamwork element is not as useful. It's still useful just not as much. I suppose the same thing could be achieved on the TG TS server if you could manually rename your Squad Channel there because then at least you could also know you are speaking to squad mates in channel. I give this feature a 2/5 score without VOIP implementation. It's a 2nd tier cosmetic feature.

Customization Menus: Now I assume you are talking about the customized layout for each kit. Including the kit items, weapon accessories and uniform patterns. I think this is more an issue only because the dumb game doesn't save your layout/gun accessories between matches or gaming sessions. I really don't understand why it remembers some and not all your settings for each weapon and kit. This is just lazy and sloppy coding IMO. So it should be fixed, 5/5 score. It's a 1st tier coding issue akin to other major bugs in the game.

Selecting spawnpoint on overview-map in spawn menu & Bigger spawn menu overview-map:
    These go hand in hand as features. One can't exist without the other. First you need to have a bigger visible map of the area first like it was in BF2 or BF2142. Once you have that then other features can be implemented. I would love to see a large map again. Of course I would also love to see SL Way Point ability, lines showing the currently location in relation to the waypoint or attack marker. But first we need to see the big map implemented. It's a great tool for teamwork. It's just my want and it's cosmetic but a valuable tool. I would call this feature a 1st tier cosmetic feature.

You mentioned selecting spawn points from the large map and while that's the way it was in BF2 it doesn't have to be that way in BF3 to work or fix any issues. I can easily see which flags need help and select that flag or spawn point from the list. It doesn't take all that long and so this is not a broken feature. If I were to ask DICE to change something or implement something I would want them to focus on game breaking or game balancing features and not 2nd tier cosmetic features. Would it be nice? Sure. Is it necessary? No.
    "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Re: aspects of the game that the patch did not touch

As for the the custom squads I don't agree with you. I think this feature has more right to exist as voip is absent, for it then fills a gap, partially at least, in coordination of the team, that voip would cover if it was there.

Edit:

Another thing came to my mind: I would like to see orders/requests to be represented in a seperate chat window similar to how it is in BF2/2142. But not in the actual chat window, as I find that stupid. Whenever you write soemthing in chat, itgets spammed away by order/request-messages within seconds. So have two windows, one for normal chat, one where orders/requests are displayed. Also in my opinion voice-overs are too quiet. As there is no representation of orders/requets in a chat like window, you soemtiems don't even notice them, because they are so quiet and there is no visual counterpart apart from the icons on the minimap to them. Do you get what I am tryign to say, lol?^^ That leads to another issue: There are orders/requests in the command rose that don't have any visual counterpart at all, neither in chat-like window nor as blinking icon on minimap, these are for example: "affirmative", "sorry", "need backup", "go go go". At the moment these are absoluetly redundant, as you cant make use of them! What I would propose doing is: Implement for every order/request that can be given, a threefold representation exlsusive voice-over... so rather a fourfold representation:

Command-Window: Commands (orders/requests) are displayed, like in BF2 (e. g.: xXSuperdudeXx: "need backup!"/"need ammo!"/...)
      Flashing icons on minimap and overview-map. Each Command gets it's unique icon. Exceptions are "affirmative" and "sorry", as you don't need to be told the position of the guy that uses these.
      Flashing icon above player (like the ammo-icon for example). Each Command gets it's unique icon, that is the same, as the icon on the minimap/ overview-map.

And if I was the developer, I would implement a redone-SL-commorose, that has new commands in it, as there is no comamnder in BF3. Possible commands could be: "regroup on me", "spawn on me", "don't spawn now", "hold position".
      Last edited by Evilhardt; 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X