No announcement yet.

Attitudes, Issues, and addressing them.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attitudes, Issues, and addressing them.

This is something that's probably way overdue, and that's on me, but nontheless it's a pretty important post

Attitudes
    Let's start by addressing some of the current attitudes, in particularly the ones displayed in the forum. Take a look around some of the many threads on the first few pages and you will see and endless stream of complaints and whining about the game, DICE, weapons, balance, maps, VOIP, player behavior, so on and so on.

This has to stop.

The game and the development studio will not be improved by posting complaints on TG. Complaining about poor player behavior or inappropriate playstyle on the server is also completely counter productive, it makes the servers sound far worse than they actually are. There is a correct way to address these issues, but complaining in general terms long after the fact is not one of them.

Feel free to discuss appropriate or inappropriate behavior or playstyles, but complaints about such on TG servers will be moved to the CaA forum and you will be asked to provide specifics so we can address the problem.

Same thing on the server, asking someone to stop using sniper rifle for CQB, great. General complaining that you got shot by someone with a sniper rifle in CQB, not OK. If we see it, an admin should come talk to you about the issue so we can address it.

The public negativity and frustration are as big a problem as anything that actually happens in the game. We, meaning all of us, need to work to fix the issues rather than simply "raising awareness" about it.

Issues
    I'm not sure where this fundamental thinking that "There's no rule against it" came from, but it's a problem that's not fixed by more rules, because violators will always stay ahead of the rules. We prefer to just address those players rather than the gadgets or weapons, but for that to happen people have to talk to us when it happens and stop posting on the forum a week after the fact in vague general terms.

You (the community) need to draw the line every single day every single game and the admins will back you up.

Maybe not all things will go the way you want, we do have a variety of different playstyle and preferences when it comes to the game, but the basics should be the same.

We don't use RPG, M320, or sniper rifles in very confined spaces for CQB, you shouldn't accept that others do it either. We also don't use jets for transport, we don't bunnyhop or jump for speed, we don't do MAV kills, or Nascar driving. We don't let squad members ignore SL orders, or have SLs that don't give orders in some form. You know all this, and yet people ask for a rule for every single little thing.

All these, and many more things are not separate rules, they're derived from the primer and I would have thought that the TG culture would have made it obvious that that's how we play here. Apparently it's not, and I've failed in communicating to you that all those things, and many more, are absolutely something you can and should talk to us about when they happen.

Addressing the issues
    Look at our rules, look at what the primer actually says, and just talk to people. We don't need to berate them, or complain, or use sarcasm or whatever else, just talk to them. A simple "Don't use M320 indoors please" or "Don't use bolt action sniper rifles for CQB", "Hey, stick with the squad" would be a good start. When there is a problem, addressing the issue starts with you taking to the player first, and if they don't listen to you, let us know and we'll take it from there.

The primer isn't subject to interpretation, only the application differs between games, it's a very important difference. If in doubt, you can always ask me/us how it applies to a specific situation, some are more clear than others, and occasionally the primer just doesn't guide us and there is not a clear answer. That's where players must police their own behavior.

I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post: The people we want to be a part of our community are the ones who look to the Primer and the general community and to some extent want to realize the environment laid out in the primer. That's the bare minimum required.

Again, this is your server, you are the community and the community needs to take responsibility for the direction and attitude. Even senior members look to the admins to "do something" while at the same time those very same members have never approached us with a specific player issue.

If you want the servers to improve you need to step up and lead the way.

From the admin side we making a concerted effort to be available and accessible and have recently added Aruncado and Hil3illy to our ranks to ensure good coverage. Thanks to both of them for stepping up.

The recent patch should improve the game quite a bit and solve many of the common complaints about weapon balance and use and it's a good opportunity for a fresh start and ensure that we have a good community for the long haul.

We want to move the servers towards where they should be as far as behavior and playstyle, but we really do need your help and participation, every single day, every single game.

Re: Attitudes, Issues, and addressing them.

NASCAR driving??? What is this pertaining to?

Comment

Driving around the map just looking for road kills.

Edit: Running someone over on the way to an objective is fine, but doing circles looking for victims isn't.

Comment

Great post for clarification as it was needed based recent behaviour, thank you :) (fallen and admin team)
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

yeah, i mean, in general i have to applaude the community here, it is my favorite place to play the game so far, and i really enjoy the tactical warfare that we experience here with TS3 and bf3 combined. I would also commend the approach to the recent influx of complaints. Also i think it has become harder now that the game is much more restricted than it used to be, when dice was smaller and the servers had greater control than they do now, but TG has done a phenomenal job at keeping the game as fair as possible, much better than stock options.

one question tho, i personally like to use bolt actions w/out any scope or maybe a red dot for cqb, just because it helps me focus on one shot kills; and i was wondering, is that frowned upon here?

anyway, great job administrating the game so far, and i believe if we stick together, we can help this game be as balanced as we want it to

Comment

Originally posted by hannse12 View Post

one question tho, i personally like to use bolt actions w/out any scope or maybe a red dot for cqb, just because it helps me focus on one shot kills; and i was wondering, is that frowned upon here?

anyway, great job administrating the game so far, and i believe if we stick together, we can help this game be as balanced as we want it to
            Using a bolt action for CQB is frowned upon. If you think about it, you wouldn't use a bolt action sniper rifle for clearing rooms or pulling point / slack on an advance.

I personally don't see a problem with how someone sights their rifle if they are looking for a challenge while in a hide site or providing overwatch during a squad movement, but I may have missed a ruling on another thread.

"Oratio Ultima Regem -- The Last Argument of Kings"

Comment

i mean, its usually for relatively cqb, like sniping under the metro w/out scope or a 4x, im not running around no scoping or quick scoping, probably should have made that clear

Comment

Maybe to make it a bit more clear:
                When people choose a bolt action rifle to fight at distances where a shotgun with buckshot would be more appropriate, I have to wonder whether its because of the challenge, or exploiting the high damage the rifle does combined with our lower health settings.

Comment

@ Iamthefallen, great post and very much needed, not only in this area of the forums but also throuout the community. I can see the drive to Level up in most of the games out today, might

make you lose sight of the TG way to play here. So, post like yours helps us to get back on track to provide an atmosphere fun gaming and less grumbling. Don't get me wrong, it's ok to grumble,

but there is a place and time to do it.

Comment

Nice opening post. My point on the sniper issue, I'm terrible with scopes and I can hit things easier with iron sights or rds miles away then with a scope most of the time. I wasn't aware that TG was going against it, last threads I read on the issue opinions were pretty mixed.

One thing I might add, if you are asking someone not to do behave a certain way, just ask them or find out before accusing them or having a go and complaining at the in game.

Last time I played on the TG server I was accused and moaned at for jet ramming. I wasn't, I'm just not a great pilot and accidentally hit a heli as I was lining up for a burst. People get pretty arsey if I remember rightly, and as soon as it happened I was 'reported' for ramming. It's not a big deal, but it's a bit annoying to just go and call someone out like that. Just keep it in mind is all I'm saying.

Lastly, I often found this quote form the BC2 forum sticky can be carried over and is the best explanation of the RPG/320 issues we have now

We understand that a player may have the weapon ready and get surprised by an enemy and fire in close quarters, but this should be the exception and not the rule. I've seen far too many times where a player will wait within a room and defend that room with the CG. That is not the proper use of this weapon. For those that are engaged in this type of game play, while you are not technically breaking the rules, you are breaking the spirit of the Primer

Comment

Just stating the obvious here but if anyone is not good with a scope then why on earth play sniper......the class that's supposed to use scopes?
                      Not picking on anyone but it makes no sense to me.
                      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                        Just stating the obvious here but if anyone is not good with a scope then why on earth play sniper......the class that's supposed to use scopes?
                        Not picking on anyone but it makes no sense to me.
                        Well, a lot of people try to use scopes in closed quarter situations to try to increase their aiming. It's actually very good practice. However you don't necessarily have to do it with a sniper rifle. I very rarely use recon as you can see on my stats page, but when I go sniper I love going in CQ to test out my skill level.

I don't think i've ever run the recon kit on the TG server yet lol.
                        Last edited by Kwalc; 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Great post Fallen and Great choices on the new admins,. I'd also like to add that we should be patient with the guys with less skill, they make mistakes and are not as adept at the game. sometimes for lack of practice and sometimes because their gaming rigs (or reflexes like us older guys) are just lower performing. I'd like to suggest as I've seen on a few other servers that we scroll the TS download web address and point out that its free to encourage people to download and join TS. It makes it a lot easier to talk to them about game play on TG as opposed to publicaly spamming them in chat.
                          sigpic

Comment

yes, ts makes this my favorite bf3 server, bar non. and i agree with the scoping issue, and i do try and find how fast i can scope in in such situations as well :p. and Iamthefallen, i totally understand what you are pointing out, and no, i do not use it in *that* close of a range, i guess it would be more for medium-medium/short ranges, but not truly cqb, thanks for the clarification :)

Comment

As a new-comer to this community, this is nice to read and be aware of. Thanks to the Admin team out there! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X