Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zh1nt0 does a Reddit Ask-Me-Anything

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment..._for_dice_and/

Im Daniel Matros, Global CM for Battlefield. I can only answer questions that the prophets have allowed me to answer, otherwise there will be no crops this year and my two kittens Voltaire and Edith need to eat. So do I when I think about it.
    When Im not working I watch a lot of documentaries, go to art galleries and travel the world. The best part about being on the road is all the amazing people and places you get to see. Also, a political activist.
    Im also a big fan of indie music in general. Huge fan of VICE Magazine and anything relating to Urban Culture. Also a big fashion geek.
    I come to you now almost with a full passport, 25 years of experience and self proclaimed best robot dancer this side of the equator.

Re: Zh1nt0 does a Reddit Ask-Me-Anything

Usual amount of bull from him. The answer he gives for commander is crap, either he's ignorant or he's being deliberately obtuse. The party line is that they "split up the commander tools among the kits". Except that's not why people miss commander. They miss commander because it was one guy who was managing the battle, they miss chain of command and that birds eye view. It's not the lack of arty strikes and vehicle drops, it's the lack of structure. And if you don't want structure, fine don't use it, or make it a server side option. But removing features from a game in a series is just asinine. POE2 had a commander with no artillery, no UAV, nothing but a supply drop. But it worked because we had VOIP and chain of command.

It's just so disappointing. Every time I read something like this I just think of what BF3 could have been. It's a great game, a fun game, but it could have been an awesome epic game for the ages. BF2 lasted for five years or so. Who honestly sees BF3 going that long?

Comment

Oh man, /r/gaming is just going to eviscerate him. Most of those guys are as annoyed about BF3 as we are.

As Reddit would say: dis gon b gud.
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

A really bad show on the communitys part, we had a chance to be civil but far too many acted like whiny crybabies.

Why would a game dev ever listen to its community when they act like children.

People make good arguments about why we should have and should not have certain aspects of the game, but it gets drowned in this disgusting hatred of EA and Dice, name calling and general childness along with MANY extremely stupid ideas "insta kill knifes...etc"

They came to us to listen and answer to whatever questions we had, and people just proved the overwhelming majority of the community sucks and deserves nothing.

Comment

Its an allright game. That's all. If it wasn't for competition play I would've stopped playing 2 months ago. Only thing good he said was that they are looking into the reddit post about hacking. And no brit I dont see it lasting longer then a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt View Post
            POE2 had a commander with no artillery, no UAV, nothing but a supply drop.
            There was a smoke artillery for CO on some maps. A bit more reasonable finger of god.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Brainhurts View Post
              A really bad show on the communitys part, we had a chance to be civil but far too many acted like whiny crybabies.

People make good arguments about why we should have and should not have certain aspects of the game, but it gets drowned in this disgusting hatred of EA and Dice, name calling and general childness along with MANY extremely stupid ideas "insta kill knifes...etc"

They came to us to listen and answer to whatever questions we had, and people just proved the overwhelming majority of the community sucks and deserves nothing.
              maybe if our parents(EA) didnt abuse us we wouldnt be crying :p
              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Truthfully for me, BF3 hasn't been all that different from when I played BF2, minus the voip " which was barely used", dolphin diving and jet bomb spam.
                Last edited by Brainhurts; 05-09-2012, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                  There was a smoke artillery for CO on some maps. A bit more reasonable finger of god.
                  We always wanted to do more but had a very hard time getting things to work the way we wanted. The goal was to make the Commander a supporting role instead of an offensive one. We would have liked to have done a lot more with the Commander but it just did not work out.

On just the commander alone, DICE missed a huge opportunity with "BF3". One among many other horrible design decisions.
                  Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Ive always wondered what these other "horrible design" decisions are.

BF2 was brown and grey, BF3 is blue and grey, BF2 smoke and dust everywhere, BF3 Sun and glare everywhere.

The UI is very easy to usefor BF3, The short bit while dead is annoying slightly and unable to talk after a round is disapointing but its not a horrible design flaw, I found BF2s UI to be confusing and cluttered as well as glitchy and very slow.

Battlelog is better then any ingame user face dice has had before, Its 30 seconds from being on battlelog to playing the game, No videos, no loading screens to get to the menu screen, not having to alt tab in and out of the game while you wait for a server to open up or for freinds, All of the stats are right there, It can be modified "better battlelog"

To me BF3 is much better then BF2, Maybe its because of the TG server, maybe it because Im doing better at it, maybe I was it was the constant dolphin diving and jet base [email protected] that made me not like Bf2, Im not sure, but I don't see all these "bad" design choices.

I see voip, and maybe the commander, although for me in BF2 it was a thing people fought over all the time so they could drop jeeps on top of stuff.
                    Last edited by Brainhurts; 05-09-2012, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Some of the main issues I have with BF3 are in the coding of the game itself and not really the game play. When round corners while being fired upon, I can be 5-10' around the corner and still being hit. Issues with trying to get over, under or around objects. I show I am under, over or around them, but am stuck or not actually clear of them. I have tried to fire over objects, just to find my rounds are impacting a wall that not there; but I am taking hit from the guy I am firing at. This game is just as buggy as BF2 was, just in different ways. I am sure I am not alone in being upset at buying games that are not finished.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Ive always wondered what these other "horrible design" decisions are.
                        For me its more about the LACK of design decisions, and by design I mean the design of the gameplay. I was expecting an evolving series where new great gameplay things were added and the not so good ones removed. Instead we get a game where the gameplay is very similar to its predecessor. I honestly felt like I had been playing BF3 for six months already when it was released.

It felt very much like a "good enough" scenario, the developers didnt have the resources to wow me, just deliver enough so it was an ok experience.
                        sigpic

Comment

I read through the questions and answers and I don't really know why he did the AMA in the first place.
                          He seems like a good guy and all, but that is all that was communicated by the thread.

Maybe he did it to explain that he has nothing to do with the decisions made and that he has no influence in those decisions, and never will.
                          I guess that is the problem with having a community manager that is not allowed to answer any questions that are "important" to the BF community.
                          All you get are brush off answers like "We're looking into it", "I will pass this along".

Maybe the decision makers should rethink their approach to their players.

And maybe Zhinto should realize that the people on r/gaming could care less about him. They don't want to know who he is, no, as their cheeto dust stained fingers furiously bang on their keyboards the only thing on their mind is why, WHY, does the 7.62 ammo does less damage than the 5.56 at 300 meters distance, or why the spread of the AS-VAL Is so much less than the other weapons, THAT IS NOT REALISTIC! At least according the spreadsheets they have pinned to their wall.

Personally I think there are some problems with how BF3 turned out, but now I mostly feel that way because I am not really the target demographic. It is a good game but some of the choices made annoy me.
                          Sure scrap the commander, but VOIP still stands as the biggest problem, especially now when TS3 refuses to connect to the TS server for me.
                          "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

I played the crap out BF2. Almost 700 hours. BF3 on the other hand has failed to grab hold of me. I put less time in on BF3 than I did with BC2. I guess it's the lack of structure and general CoD feel of the game that put me off. Maybe it's not the game. Maybe CoD has just ruined the player base by ingraining that run and gun attitude.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainhurts View Post

Gotta agree with brain here. Through that whole thing 90% of the posts were from complete tools. However, the flip side is that when you keep dodging questions and the community never gets answers......they get frustrated. Frustration leads to hate, hate leads to anger, anger leads to he darkside, you get a red lightsaber and the rest is history.
                              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X