Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DLC, Content Service, and Double XP Weekend

http://battlefieldo.com/threads/new-...-weekend.5418/

So 5 expansions and a handfull of cosmetic stuff, doesn't seem bad and the Battlefield Premium from what I understand will have the DLC be cheaper/recieved with?

Doesn't sound half bad.

Re: New DLC, Content Service, and Double XP Weekend

Oh wth...

mother's day ... double xp ... mother's day ... double xp ... mother's day ... double xp ... mother's day ... double xp ... mother's day ... double xp ...

DAMMIT!!!

Comment

From the link:
      Battlefield Premium : June 4th

Battlefield™ Premium will land you a number of content drops with unique in-game items not available anywhere else. First out is the one-of-a-kind Premium knife and black dog tag, plus a set of soldier camos, weapon camos, dog tags and Assignments that will make sure you stand out and get more personalization options.

Close Quarters : June 12th

June 2012 : Guide
      Get the upper hand with this strategy guide, teaching you how to improve and become an even more skilled player.

August 2012: Bonus Content

Fall 2012 : Armored Kill

Winter 2012 : End Game

March 2013 : 5th Expansion Pack (still untitled)
      Looks good to me. They promised years of support and gameplay - I am glad to see them following through on that. Plenty to keep people interested for a long time.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm interested. I liked the personalization options in CoD Black Ops, and the dog tags and camo options in Battlefield lived up to my expectations very well. Merits/demerits of paid DLC and subscriptions aside, I'll probably drop the money for this, pending a better preview of whats in store from DICE of course.

EDIT: inb4 "OMG it'll be Voip as paid DLC!!1!" There, glad that's out of the way.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancer’s maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

So it's basically Elite pay-for service like in COD? Except with Elite (as far as I was told at gamestop once you payed the 50-60 for Elite you got the next several expansions for free.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I just don't agree with the way companies are handling content these days....I'll leave it at that before i rage.
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Yeah well it is just like mortgage interest rates, when one of them raises their interest rates the rest will soon follow. :(

But thankfully with games, you do not have to pay if you do not want to.

But if you do not pay then you will be left out which will split the community of players.

So what does Everyone Do? "Okay Everyone, if you want to play on our server you have to sign up for the premium service or you will get kicked because you do not have the maps required to play"

It will be interesting to see how this will affect all gaming communities out there....
              Last edited by MrMojay; 05-11-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Also, voip as a DLC could be possible, same with mod tools and other stuff,

EA is "poor" as one could say compared to Blizzard, they really are struggling, They had a net loss of $450 million last year

They HAVE to make money off anything and everything they do, Thats why we can't have free pretty much anything from them, they arn't shoving the money into some big villian vault.

Like mod tools, Lets say they make them usable for the community, At most 250000 people would use the byproducts or the mod tools themselves, At roughly 45$ a sale for each of those 250 thousand people, its a little over $1million which isn't a lot and isn't worth the time and effort to make the tools, unless they sell it extra as DLC.

Now an example of a company that can release, is Valve, Many reasons as to why they can and EA can't, Valve is much smaller, Its a private company, people can focus on one or two things at a time they hold the major digital distribution market share which makes them a lot of money every year, TF2s item shop is the reason its F2P and why the game is still alive, They use a single engine they built for all of their games, so its easy and cheap to make stuff for a game, They know people will buy their game when they release DLC for it, unlike BF3, how many people bought BF3 to play back to karkand? Very little.

So it just comes down to how the company is built, ran, and the money they make off of stuff, So for EA paid for DLC is completely fine, also the majority of DLC for EA games is very good quality so myself Im not upset buying it.

BC2s was free because it was just maps we already had retooled from Rush/Campaign/Conquest, and I think one new map, and the paid for dlc was Vietnaum wonderfull DLC for the price and most if not all agree the B2K maps are far better then the vanilla maps.

So yep, thats what I think on the issue of DLC.

Comment

While I have reservations about the new content release model that most companies seem to be following, I AM happy that Dice seems to be limiting paid content mostly to a) early unlocks, or b) cosmetic/aesthetic changes. Its very different from Bioware's recent model with release day DLC that contains what is, essentially, vital content to the game (Mass Effect 3's From Ashes DLC).....

Otherwise I have to agree with Brain on the map DLCs.... those take a lot of manhours to make, and few studios can afford to release things like that for free nowadays....

|TG|Serafiel - Pfälzer Wolf
                  "For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother"
                  - King Henry V, Shakespeare's "Henry V"

Comment

They take a lot of man-hours to make because, as they admitted during BC2 and MOH, they have a super-convoluted system in place for content creation on their engine. There's no need for the complexity and stupid crap they have, it was designed for the console systems and then ported to PC with BC2 wholesale. Content creation on other engines (UE, Source, Spark, etc) is immensely easier because there is a ton less overhead and they don't have to recompile the entire game every time they change a map like they had to do on BC2. They claimed that just changing one static location on a map would take 36-48 hours just to compile the map to even get it to load on the testbed.

They've tied themselves to an anchor with Frostbite, and are trying to make it out like ValvE did with Source. They've used 1.5/2 for BC2 and MOH and now BF3. Unfortunately, the "system is too complex" for laymen to use (their words) and there's too much overhead and such for other studios to use it. We'll see how it goes, but I'm not buying anything else with Frostbite.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I feel like i am playing MMO now
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed