X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A visitor's experience with your settings on server 2

Hello,

I am a long time TG fan, though I have only ever played once or twice on your TS with you I frequent your servers since BF2. Once again I went looking for the TG servers for BF3, but this time I found that rather than enjoying the higher level of teamwork oriented play, I am frequently royally pissed at the server for one main reason....

Tank and vehicles have too much health.

Infantry damage on the server is fine, that gameplay works well enough (though the lack of hud in hardcore is especially non-tactical now because of the inability to see your gun's fire rate setting when you spawn which can be a problem if you have not used that weapon in a while).

The issue here is that tanks take 3-4 javelins directly to kill, they take around 6 rpgs to kill (rear shots even). A whole squad will go engineer and not be able working together to take down a tank. SOFLAM you say? well on maps like Karkand...it is nearly impossible except in a few lanes to get soflams up so you can spend the entire map...rather than helping your team going for capture points....instead trying to lure a tank into your soflam.

Mines you say? Great if thermal vision, minimap, and 3d autospot didn't make them incredibly visible. I have learned to use them to corral tanks into traps where I can rpg spam them. All the while, I am extra squishy to the top mounted guns that no longer have blind spots like in 2142 or BF2. Good luck ever getting C4 on them. Tanks with proximity scan, reactive armor.... they have all the advantages anyway.

Infantry lack a good stand alone rocket in this game. RPGs are slow and don't hit if you die, so a single bullet flung in the direct of a long range RPG shot might save a tank from getting hit. Hardly realistic. Plus the engineers seem to be able to repair these things just as fast as normal mode even if they have more health here somehow.

Anyway, I don't know if you guys set vehicle health higher (sure seems so with how long a disabled tank/apc takes to blow), I have even been shot out of a Humvee by the first rpg and then watched 4 more hit it and fail to make it explode.

Something is wrong with your settings. It sucks the fun out of the game and makes teamwork revolve around killing the tanks/apcs 100% because just 2 of those beasts can basically control a map the size of Karkand.

Please reconsider your settings. Whether this means upping weapon damage instead of lowering player health or lowering vehicle health (not sure if you altered that).... whatever. It is simply not fun on maps like Karkand right now. IO would be better.

Thank you for reading.

Misnomer

Re: A visitor's experience with your settings on server 2

Hi, thanks for visiting the server. I'm assuming your not new to BF3 and you realize that vehicles have been overpowered since launch, and through every patch that has been released. Not everyone agrees with that statement, but many do. The server in which you played tonight (Server #2) is setup to the default HC settings provided by Dice/EA. The vehicles spawn rate has been adjusted up, and the overall ticket count is higher than standard. To my knowledge (and I'm quite sure I'm correct), vehicle damage cannot be changed, at least on a ranked server. Here is a link to the multiplay.co.uk wiki for server options given to the server Admins for BF3. This also happens to be the server provider for the server in question.

http://wiki.multiplay.co.uk/BF3_SERV...generateHealth

Here is a screencap, just taken, of the setting of the server in question, taken just a few minutes after you logged off, and just before I'm posting this reply.

Originally posted by Misnomer View Post

Something is wrong with your settings. It sucks the fun out of the game and makes teamwork revolve around killing the tanks/apcs 100% because just 2 of those beasts can basically control a map the size of Karkand.

Thank you for reading.

Misnomer
    I can't agree that "something is wrong with our settings". Something may be wrong with the setup/balance of the game we choose to play, but I can assure you it's out of our hands.

[00:06:41] Misnomer1 > whoever configured this clearly hasn't played it

The above statement is also not true. Our Admins play on our server regularly, and the server settings are discussed by the entirety of the Admin staff for BF3 at TG prior to our Game Officer making any final decisions, or server gameplay changes.

We do appreciate you stopping by, and we hope to see you on server again. I don't believe there is a perfect server out there, but I do believe ours comes as close as the game, the options, and the game creators have allowed us.
    |TG-6th|FYAH29
    "So Far, So Good................So What"

Comment

Its the people driving the vehicles not the vehicles themselves.

We have plenty of highly skilled people in very different areas who play on the server, A few of them with armor.

I enjoy how strong the armor is in this BF, and I like how it takes teamwork to take out vehicles or at least keep them at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by FYAH29 View Post
        I don't believe there is a perfect server out there, but I do believe ours comes as close as the game, the options, and the game creators have allowed us.
        Fair enough, I was very frustrated when I made that comment (you could post several of the others where I am listing the amount of explosives I had personally just set on a tank).

I run a few servers myself and recognize that procon screen, seems you have not changed vehicle health. I still find that a tad confusing because I know I watched 4 rpgs slam into the back of an APC at one point and it did not explode. I don't think even reactive armor will save you from that on normal settings. Maybe just bad hitreg at work again?

You are quite right about there being no perfect servers out there, but I play plenty on other tactical hardcore servers where the vehicles are nowhere near the nuisance...but those servers tend to run rush so maybe that is the key there.

As a fellow server admin I can appreciate the problems with the settings allowed, but I will stick by my feeling that this is not a TG server like the ones I knew and loved in BF2 and BF2142. I know you didn't mod those or have hardcore settings or whatever to do and BF3 hurts you even more with no ingame voip....but I have to feel like the server settings are hurting teamwork right now at least on some of those maps. Maybe just running Karkand in IO is the solution, it is the map that makes me want to rage quit because of tanks whenever I play on your server.

Originally posted by Brainhurts View Post
        Its the people driving the vehicles not the vehicles themselves.

We have plenty of highly skilled people in very different areas who play on the server, A few of them with armor.

I disagree with this, it is not "skill." It is a combination of built in advantages from perks (there was no zoom for tanks in BF2, nor proximity scan, nor thermal vision, or any other anti-infantry bonuses), unintended advantages from bugs (shooting straight back at an RPG fired at you and getting it to disappear by killing the shooter), and exploiting of unbalanced game mechanics as I discussed above. Someone sitting off to the side of a map with 2 possible repairing engineers, reactive armor, zoom, coaxial lmg on a tank is effectively invincible to anything but another tank or maybe a full squad doing javelins and soflam (good luck with that as I explain in my other post). This is not skilled tank driving it is just setting up shop with an unkillable behemoth and exploiting game mechanics.

On air maps, it isn't so bad because choppers and jets can be hard counters. Maps where tanks are closer together are less of a problem too. But when your only hope on Karkand is another tank and you have to bring it up from G to B.... might as well just quit if that 1 person on your team in the tank doesn't have the double engineer super pack. Same can be said if the attackers take G....game over automatically.

That is why it is no fun. It isn't a question of skill, or even teamwork because despite the engineers and drivers working together (sometimes it is the same people).... a full 4 squad can be working together to take out a tank and still fail 99% of the time. 4 people against 3 will lose even with teamwork and it kills off all other strategic play for capture points.

It is unbalanced and ruins the server. Perhaps just remove Karkand from the rotation or run that as IO only (possible with certain procon plugins).

I know changing from default hardcore settings makes it harder to populate, but at this point I would much rather play on a softcore TG server than this one.

Comment

Changing the vehicle health (if it can even be done?) will move us away from standard settings and put us under custom settings. Everyone filters custom settings servers out by default and it is non intuitive on how to search for them (you need to uncheck filters for hardcore and normal...

When we had custom settings for player health, the server was not seen by new players and we really could not pull them in. Since moving to vanilla hardcore settings we have had a major resurgence.
          Last edited by sc1ence; 06-22-2012, 04:02 PM.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I run a few servers myself and recognize that procon screen, seems you have not changed vehicle health.
            As FYAH said, it's not possible to change vehicle health. I agree that it's more about a good squad dedicating to a tank in comparison to other servers. I do agree it could use some tweaking and more settings from the game makers, but I don't agree that having proximity sensor, or other perks, plus two guys with repair tool onboard and putting them to use is an exploit.

The other server right now is CQ maps only. And I figure once the newness of that dies down, it will probably go back to infantry only with more mixed maps. But I wouldn't expect (or want, for that matter) for both servers to become IO.

And sc1 is right, it was almost sad how the servers weren't getting any traffic besides regulars when running custom settings. I hope you'll come back, Misnomer! :)

Comment

...unintended advantages from bugs (shooting straight back at an RPG fired at you and getting it to disappear by killing the shooter)...
              The RPG doesn't seem to dissapear this way on then QC maps. Has anyone else noticed this?
              sigpic

Comment

1.... Someone sitting off to the side of a map with 2 possible repairing engineers,

2.... But when your only hope on Karkand is another tank and you have to bring it up from G to B.... might as well just quit if that 1 person on your team in the tank doesn't have the double engineer super pack. Same can be said if the attackers take G....game over automatically.

3.... a full 4 squad can be working together to take out a tank and still fail 99% of the time. 4 people against 3 will lose even with teamwork and it kills off all other strategic play for capture points.

1.... Is useless to their team if they are sitting back at the side of a map, also helps to not rush them as infantry over open ground.

2.... Work with the friendly tank or drive it yourself so you don't get a bad driver, It also make the points More of a strategic balance, If you don't hold this flag you are going to have a bad time.

3.... that is not unfair or unbalanced in any possible way.

Hardcore/Normal doesn't change any of the vehicle stats as far as I know of, If anything it would allow a good tank driver to dominate even more, with 3d spotting, 3rd person camera and a hud.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainhurts View Post
                  1.... Is useless to their team if they are sitting back at the side of a map.....
                  Is that not what heavy assets are for? Long range interdiction and fire support. Why would you take something not agile and hump it into a fight where you lose all of your advantage???? Sounds to me like the tactic of teamwork wreaks in the other quote....couple of engies, two in a tank working together covering their teammates taking a flag.....Sounds like the teamwork that should be on TG's servers no?

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

No that is what mobile artillery would be for, A tank should be and is effectively used as support on the front lines, atleast in BF3.

Any semi decent tank driver can do a much better job up with the infantry taking flags then sitting off shooting a handfull of times a round.

Its best used as front line support/defending points.

Comment

Ehh, and I guess it is the way I would play, but that is for another thread about the validity of tactics that can be deployed

Sent through the darkside via ninja voodo telepathy

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Run the server vanilla and armor isnt nearly as bad.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
                        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Vanilla health is slightly better at far ranges, everything else is a big advantage for armor/Helis 3rd person cam, 3d spotting,

But yeah I don't agree they are Op at all, I think its a case of frustration which happens a lot. http://i.imgur.com/u5ivi.png

Comment

I think many agree with you misnomer in some regards, we liked our custom settings but who can have fun with 4 people on the server? :p In my opinion, there are many valid ways infantry can knock out the "un-killable tank" as you say. Ok, BF3 imagination situation time. Your on karkand, tank has two engies behind repairing, what do you do? have a sniper on your team take out the engies, or closer squad mates in the right positions take them out, tank realizes hes going down tries to retreat, get as many rockets on him as your can.
                            Second scenario: You know the tank has thermal, what is the best way to not have him detect your c4/mines? dont let him see them, hide them.create a ditch or debris with C4, hide the explozives in the pit, he cant see in the pit at all, he is totally blind to it. An even easier way is on the crests of hills, they cant see right over the crest with the tank angle as it is, also on the downslope of a crest.
                            Third scenario: Tank has been rolling you all round, getting all your explosives, being super aware. Step One, have a support bring in M60 with extend mags. Step Two, have him setup at a good distance from the tank so he doesnt imidiately get shot. Step Three, (my favorite, i normally do this part) Unload your 200 round map into the tank, it wont go un noticed, the driver will get confused and than pissed, the support needs to move within the building to prevent getting killed, but keep unloading your mag. Step Four, now that the tabk driver is going after YOU and not your squad right near him, he wont even GLANCE at his minimap for radar, they move in and c4 the junk ou of him or ayncornize rockets.

Indeed, the tank may be hard to kill, but what are we here for? to use a higher level of tactics, a spray of RPG's will do nothing, an organized assault on a tank is another will do everything. Think of the goliath in 2142, you couldnt kill that until you took out its shields. Whats a tank without its team? diddly-squat.

plz excuse the spelling, an itouch keyboard aint the best thing to type on :p
                            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Thats why I like armor in BF3, it takes real tactics to take one out when they have a good squad in the tank.

Not some lucky shot to the back, or something just as silly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X