Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From an Old 2142-er

Greetings, all

Several years ago, while playing BF2142 I encountered some TGers and never turned back. I continued playing 2142 until the server was shut down, at which point I hung up my Pilum and SAAW and spent the last year or so crying and eating ice cream, or something like that.

I was wondering if I should give BF3 a try, but have heard BF has... changed some. I was wondering what other ex-2142-ers think of it. I know no game will ever be exactly like another before it, and also that there will always be potential balance issues, glitches etc. (I'm thinking of things like the krylov vs SCAR debate, the PAC gunship's awful shields, or the way their tank will kill you if you're on its right while trying to repair it if it fires, or the dreaded ROFLOCOPTER). Anyway, if anyone wants to add their 2 cents worth (or roughly 75 kopeks, if you'd rather) I'd greatly appreciate it. I do miss running with a squad of TGers...

Playing as: |TG| Merkov

Now playing with the TG prefix because, according to oniell121, doing very stupid things with alarming frequency isn't a good enough reason not to wear them...

Re: From an Old 2142-er

Long time no see Dmitri. BF3 isnt even in the same categorie when it comes to teamwork and strategy. There just isn't enough you can do in the game to make it compare to 2142. The lack of voip, CO, 6man squads and a proper SL that can put down markers have seriously hampered the teamwork in this game. However, some still try to make it work with what they have given us, a BF game that isnt really a BF game.

There rly isnt anything anyone can say that would help you decide whether you will like it or not. The only reason I still play is because I enjoy competition so much that I couldnt care less about the many flaws in this game. Maybe you will find a reason that will make you want to play this game. But until you actually test it out, all you will hear is personal opinion.

hope there will be a 2143 or something

Comment

I didn't play for the last 6 months, but started back up a couple days ago. I just enjoy getting into TS and playing anything in a community. I think it's worth it.
      TG21 Seriousturtle

Comment

I dont think the high points of BF3 can match the high points of 2142. The best game in bf3 is about 85% as good as the best game in 2142. It is important to note that I had PLENTY of average and sub average games playing 2142.

We tend to forget the bad games and focus on the positive ones. Over time, our memory tends to becomes skewed to accentuate the positive and downplay the negative. Nostalgia is a powerful drug, lets not get too lost in it.

I think bf3 is a better game than 2142 in so many ways. I think not having a commander is not a big deal at all. MOST of the games I played in 2142 did not have a commander, or the CO did nothing but spot and let squads pick their targets.

The major difference is a lack of social involvement with the community. We are stuck in our little 4 man squads and it just does not have that "party" vibe. No GGs to the other team in TS at the end of round or a 1 min laugh while the map changes. No reactions in game or quick hello. There are reduced opportunities for lulz because we can not gather as a community on TS. some of the most enjoyable games I have had in bf3 were during seeding when we are all in the same channel.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I completely agree with Science, he pretty much sums up my feelings exactly.

P.S. must spread around...yadda yadda yadda...

Comment

The team voip solution in bc2 made squads feel less important than they do in bf3. But I enjoyed the company of the players more, and subsequently, I enjoyed that game more. Bf3 feels a bit lifeless. I wish squads disbanded at the end of each round, then you would get to talk to new people next round.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Run...Run far away. Don't buy this game. Just wait for the community to find something else.

Comment

I didn't like BF2, never played 1942/2142, but I do say its very different from any previous BF game, for myself that is a positive thing.

I haven't enjoyed a FPS like this in a long time.

Id say pick it up cheap if possible, If you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't.

Comment

Only you can decide that. I miss BF2 even with all its flaws(and there were MANY! J10 hitbox *cough cough*). Im just waiting till a half way decent C&C game comes out... then you wont see me playing BF3 anymore. It just doesn't have the same feel as 1942, BF2, or 2142 (heck even Vietnam which had the strangest feel ever but I loved it). And even the backround stuff (rank/XP) have been dumbed down it killes the feel for me. I like having stuff to look forward to. I only have a few things I havn't unlocked yet(asfar as awards). And thats just because I dont have 500+ hours of playtime.

-Crazy
                  |TG| CrazySob
                  sigpic
                  Wondering where I am? Look up and wait for the inevitable sound of 2000lbs of death and destruction that is about to ruin your day.

Comment

Originally posted by DmitriMerkov View Post

I was wondering if I should give BF3 a try, but have heard BF has... changed some. ........Anyway, if anyone wants to add their 2 cents worth. I do miss running with a squad of TGers...
                    Just so we are clear, he is asking for an opinion.

Then my personal answer to your question: no. There is no use looking at BF3 if what you enjoyed in 2142 was the teamwork. The features that enable the teamwork are not there anymore. Now if you miss other things as well, like e.g. top of the line graphics etc. .. then it may be a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by DmitriMerkov View Post

I was wondering if I should give BF3 a try, but have heard BF has... changed some. ........Anyway, if anyone wants to add their 2 cents worth. I do miss running with a squad of TGers...
                      Just so we are clear, he is asking for an opinion.

Then my personal answer to your question: no. There is no use looking at BF3 if what you enjoyed in 2142 was the teamwork. The features that enable the teamwork are not there anymore. Now if you miss other things as well, like e.g. top of the line graphics etc. .. then it may be a different matter.

The way I see it, most of TG now is totally fractured, as players have spread out from a few core titles, to many many different titles with no clear 'winners'. I don't think the teamplay we had in bf2 will be rivalled for some time, perhaps years.

It all depends on whether someone makes another team game that actually works. It might be a mod, it might be a new release. Right now my money is on RO2 or planetside 2 as the best options, but RO2 is not able to attract enough players unfortunately. Planetside is in Beta I believe. You might like it since it is similarly themed as 2142.

Comment

That is a very good point. And I think we have all seen it over the last few years but nobody is willing to admit it. Its a shame :/. I guess my opinion is yes... Just because it has been a lot of fun. But I know im only playing it to pass the time. Its not battlefield... By any real stretch of the imagination, its COD with tanks and aircraft. That is the feel I get from it and it makes me sad ;(

-Crazy
                        |TG| CrazySob
                        sigpic
                        Wondering where I am? Look up and wait for the inevitable sound of 2000lbs of death and destruction that is about to ruin your day.

Comment

Im new to TG but I did notice you have people spread out over 10-20 games at any given time with a handful of people in each.

BF3 might end up being the only game I do play with any of you.

Comment

Well, Dmitri, I am glad to see you again. Personally, I think that BF3 has lost its zest. I like it and I think it is fun, but it is not the same type of game, though it certainly has the previous battlefield modes. Some times I wonder what happened, but then I realize that I really don't care since gaming is passing the time and almost an escape...

I went to DayZ, a giant mod of ArmA 2... It is one of those games where I can go and take nature walks and listen to the world while the dead cry out longing for the dayZ in which they once lived... It is Sienfeld the game...

In regards to BF3, it feels really fun and can be a blast if you can get all of the problems with communication worked out. I mean, I rarely see that and when I do, I see it during scrims. I've begun to have problems with stupid "rookie" mistakes that I see around the servers. Sure, I may have a NCO ranked soldier on the PC right now, but really most of these mistakes are the downside of lack of communications, so I've really started to hop off before I make myself a problem... Sad to say it, but I felt more at home in 2142 than BF3... Plus I have trouble with the regular 2 Gb updates...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

BF3 is very different from BF2142. BF3 in hardcore mode is even further removed.

I'm hesitant to speak too broadly for other people or make large generalizations, but for myself and my friends from the 2142 days we've mostly grown disenchanted with BF3. Of course not everyone feels that way. Part of it will come down to what *other* games you enjoy. Do you like the other modern FPS games out right now? If you do, you will likely enjoy BF3 quite a bit.

I had many fun rounds playing BF3. Some of those rounds were on the TG server, and many were not. 90% of the fun was playing with my friends. Really BF3 is just the plain cracker you spread the fun of laughing with friends over.

If you find a good deal on BF3 and want to try, the best thing to do is try to approach it as you would any other modern shooter. I'm afraid the more you compare it to 2142 the more disappointed you are likely to be. Oh, and run away from the armor. You've been warned :-P

-Z.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X