Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battlefield 3 worth buying and playing ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 3 worth buying and playing ?

I'm a big fan of battlefield. I have played BF2, BF2142 and Bad Company 2. Currently I found some time in my life to fit in a bit of gaming and I'm think of getting back into the tactical combat. I've read some reviews on the internet, many of them polarized, some unclear, some stating that the game is a hackers fest. Since TacticalGamer forums has always been the most valid source of unbiased opinions when it comes to gaming, would Battlefield 3 appeal to the casual BF2, BF2142,Bad Company 2 gamer ? You know, the guy that doesnt want to feel he's playing ArmA but not Quake either.

Re: Battlefield 3 worth buying and playing ?

Originally posted by Issle View Post
    I'm a big fan of battlefield. I have played BF2, BF2142 and Bad Company 2. Currently I found some time in my life to fit in a bit of gaming and I'm think of getting back into the tactical combat. I've read some reviews on the internet, many of them polarized, some unclear, some stating that the game is a hackers fest. Since TacticalGamer forums has always been the most valid source of unbiased opinions when it comes to gaming, would Battlefield 3 appeal to the casual BF2, BF2142,Bad Company 2 gamer ? You know, the guy that doesnt want to feel he's playing ArmA but not Quake either.

The answer to that question is- Yes, it will appeal to you.

The main thing when it comes to criticisms is that basically, you will love BF3 until it starts to frustrate you.

Here are the two biggest problems in my eyes:

1. Lack of ingame voip
    2. Sloppy netcode/hit detection.

Like I said, these are mostly frustrating. The game is very playable and TG's TS sync solution works around the first issue somewhat, but there is not a round I play now where these don't frustrate me. Most people would not agree with me, but I will add a third that makes me mad:

3. Very poor vehicle / anti-vehicle design with respect to perks.

So those are the three big negative, here are some positives for you:

1. Infantry movement and shooting mechanics are absolutely the best in a battlefield game ever. Movement is smooth, bullets don't feel like they are randomly coned, weapons have complex characteristics that are modified by the deep customization system. There are also more weapons than you can shake a stick at.

2. There is a good variety of maps that are all well paced with 16-64 players in conquest. There are very few of those giant maps where you think, I will never see another human, but there are some with space to play with vehicles (more on this later). There are also a good number of maps that focus on infantry.

3. The graphics, sounds, and destruction physics in the game are the best on the market today. Just the lighting in the game blows any competition out of the water.

4. The game has a highly active population on PC as it one of the largest player populations outside of TF2 and the Counter Strikes.

5. It still feels like a Battlefield game despite the changes....

That last one is debated by many, but I think it would be hard to say otherwise. But a few other talking points just so you know what you are getting into.

- Rush in BF3 is not as good as BC2. This is mostly because the maps are lackluster compared to the great ones in BC2, but the community is also a bit obsessed with Conquest as it is a bit more free wheeling of a gametype.

- There is deathmatch in this Battlefield and it does bring with it many K/D type players.

- Perks and unlocks are an ongoing reality in the game. It won't take you as long as BF2 or BF2142 to unlock everything you need, but you will be unlocking forever. The vehicle perks are especially annoying if you don't live in those vehicles to get them.

- Battlelog (the website required to enter the game) seems to be a love it or hate it thing. I know for me it is way better than the old BF browsers, but with stats obsessing built in, toxic forums, and that extra layer to get into a game... I will admit it has downsides. Still, as a late comer to the game you have missed out on most of the earlly issues and will likely not bother you any more than a menu screen now.

- Seldom mentioned, but the Co-op missions are quite fun and a very nice addition to the game. The SP is simple, but I think people don't give it enough credit for creating some very unique and impressive moments.

- DLC is already a part of the game. Premium costs $50 and will get you all the current DLC and all that is coming for the game. Otherwise you are looking at $15 for Back to Karkand, $15 for Close Quarters, $15 for Armored Kill in September... and then two more coming. Some have chosen not to get the DLC's so you will have no trouble finding servers playing stock, but it is generally agreed that Karkand is well worth the money and many of us feel Close Quarters is as well.

I wrote a lot, so I will stop now. Hope that helps.

Comment

I just have to say the netcode in BF3 is by far better then any other BF.

You know when you shoot a guy hes going to die, hes not going to splurt 15 gallons of blood because you didn't really shoot him.

Id rather die thinking I was in cover, then not kill a guy I just shot in the face 15 times.

Comment

And Rush is far better, imo, in this incarnation than the last. Its much less spammy and they generally put the MCOMs in protected places so defenders can't shoot at you as they spawn.
        I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Nor can they destroy the buildings and what little other cover there was so you can defend them, once the buildings and cover was gone the enemy team could quickly destroy them, unless they were complete morons.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X