What ever happened to TacMod?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened to TacMod?

Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been here, the last time I was there was talk about the "TacMod" server and the details were being worked out.

I just wanted to check in on it and see if anything ever came of the TacMod idea, or if it ever will. I was never in any rounds that TG were testing, but I did read the thread and it seemed like an exponential amount of fun vs regular HC BF3.

Re: What ever happened to TacMod?

Im not sure what it is either, but I do know for awhile the server was custom and it had to be changed from custom mode because we just didn't have enough people joining.

Comment

There was never any actual testing. I wasn't on the team working to explore the idea, but it pretty much died early on due to the limitations of the game. There was talk of working to get it setup, a team organized to do the work, but nothing ever came of it.
      |TG-6th|FYAH29
      "So Far, So Good................So What"

Comment

Originally posted by FYAH29 View Post
        There was never any actual testing. I wasn't on the team working to explore the idea, but it pretty much died early on due to the limitations of the game. There was talk of working to get it setup, a team organized to do the work, but nothing ever came of it.
        I played a few rounds of the "extreme settings" and loved the hell out of it......after that it just died. I think it has real potential, however the way the server menu works it would severely limit the amount of people that actually see the server. What I did play was extremely slower paced and tight knit due to the fact that if you got hit....you were dead. I'd love to see it looked into again? We have 2 servers so why not. *Hint , Hint, *
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I would like to try this as well. Been waiting for a big reveal that never happened.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't see the permissions group in the list any longer, so I am guessing that whoever was in charge has fully abandoned it at this point. It could maybe still be revived but I think the main differences at this point were even lower health and making it private with a set of extreme rules. What are you guys envisioning, I am curious about y'alls ideas.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

what I experienced/ am envisioning:

Slower paced combat with tighter knit squads utilizing more comms (no mini would play well into this). Due to the inability to lower armor health it would most likely have to be buggies only. Not sure if anyone has a rconn tool that limits snipers but if there is it would be a class that has to be limited as ANY sniper rifle at ANY range is 1 shot kill on the settings we were using.( i believe the other weapons were 2-3 hits before kill if I remember correctly) Jeepo was heading this up, maybe touch base with him but I think HP was set to 33%. I just wish we had check boxes on the server side for what we do or do not want in game.....would be so much easier.
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Just FYI, the fundamental problem was the limited information that admins get from the server and what settings can be made.

For example, just off the top of my head:
                You cannot see where someone is, you cannot see what kit, weapon, or gadgets they have or what vehicle they're in. You cannot limit what weapons or vehicles are available. Kills from accessories often register as kills from main gun, many weapons only register as [Death], you cannot see if the person killed was in a vehicle or not, you cannot see who is squad leader.

That's not to say that something along those lines isn't possible, if someone wants to pick it up and run with it, great! I definitely don't mean to discourage it, but as Namebot says it would have to run it as a private server with rules dictating what is and isn't allowed rather than server settings and scripts enforcing behavior.

Comment

Geez Fallen.....thanks for snuffing out our dreams like a cigarette butt........:icon25:

Comment

Keep the discussion going, I am paying attention fellas. The original concept is basically dead in the water and Jeepo is heading up Planetside 2 now so he's busy. Like I say lets gets some ideas here and gauge some interest, can't promise anything but getting some solid info costs nothing and will certsinly help.

Fallen grab me on TS next time you see me if you wish to discuss.

Comment

A big part of the reason that Jeepo and I gave up on it was player support. For some reason people don't seem to think we can exist without "rank" even though we've done it successfully in the past. With little interest from the player base in playing in a non-ranked environment, there wasn't much motivation on our side to keep working on the project.

The playtesting we did was quite fun though. For me, it had a much better balance than the stock configuration and the focus of the game was considerably different without the unlock structure. Unfortunately it was tough to get that necessary player support to keep the project going.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I participated in the original setup and was sorry to see the project close. I think the concept is solid, we just need to get a player base to support it.
                        With some of the server settings that have changed since then I believe some of the balance issues can be rectified. If see can get this working with the mumble server again where positional audio worked (right?) we are dealing with the com issue that is inherent in BF3.
                        Basically I am all for working on this concept again and would like to see TG make another effort to create a unique gaming experience!
                        sigpic

Comment

Non ranked and custom just does not have many people playing it.

Rank while not important may be gratifying to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainhurts View Post
                            Non ranked and custom just does not have many people playing it.

Rank while not important may be gratifying to have.
                            ^^^ THIS

It doesn't matter how many times we say it, but TG has had GREAT success with non-ranked. FACT.

It's this kind of attitude that takes the motivation away to try. I'm not going to spend hours trying to convince vocal naysayers that we've made it work before and can do it again as it just causes me too much frustration that I no longer have the tolerance for. For some, rank and unlocks are why they play. For others, the teamwork and gameplay are what matters.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I'd come back and play, Apo.

I still miss POE2 with its fixed kits.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed