Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

    After nearly a year's absence... I'm looking to get back into BF, and lo and behold... there's a new BF on the way!! I do not own any BF3 expansion packs beyond what was available May 2012, and am wondering. Should I sit tight and pre-order BF4, or is it worth getting End Game and/or other expansions I've missed?

    THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

  • #2
    Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

    BF3 has been well worth the money Ive spent on it, There is still a good 5-6 months until BF4.

    BF4 does sound as if its going to be an improved BF3, Could be wrong or right but I do know the maps are going to more or less be built with 64+ players in mind instead of 24 players, it is going to have some sort of commander mode, and if medal of honor is anything to go by its going to have a working voip system, its both frostbite 2 and ESN sonar/Battlelog, so no excuse what so ever for there to be no in game voip.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

      If it has 64 players, command structure for platoon ops AND does not limit rounds to 20 minutes (or less) I'll be back.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

        Its just never going to be BF2 again,


        The thing with BF2 was that its biggest strengths are from its weaknesses, It had terrible combat for an FPS, It just wasn't good at all, terrible hit boxs, registration, terrible weapons and ground vehicles, But because of that it forced the right people to come together and work together on the right servers, Random pubbie servers in BF2 are still the same as the random pubbie servers in BF3 unorganized 20 minute round lonewolfing chaos but with the downside that you can't shoot anyone without flopping on the ground like a fish every 3 seconds because they are hopping around 6 feet in the air like a bunny.


        The games changed regardless if its for better or worse, You either have to change with it or move on to some thing more of your niche.


        Even then you do have to think how popular games anything like BF2 are currently and how profitable they are,
        Planetside 2, 6000 current players. Red Orchestra 2, 900,000 copies sold, 1800 current players. BF3 25 million copies, 130,000 current players across all platforms.


        What they did works, they aren't going to change it any time soon, Its making them a lot of money.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

          Originally posted by thedogwarrior View Post
          After nearly a year's absence... I'm looking to get back into BF, and lo and behold... there's a new BF on the way!! I do not own any BF3 expansion packs beyond what was available May 2012, and am wondering. Should I sit tight and pre-order BF4, or is it worth getting End Game and/or other expansions I've missed?

          There is a sale on where you can get every DLC and the Core game for $30. For that price, it is entirely worth it. If you want to just add premium to the core game you own already it is $24.99, each expansion will run you $7.49. So if you have everything up to May 2012 that means you need Close Quarters, Armored Kill, Aftermath, and End Game ($30).

          So you will save money by getting the $24.99 Premium deal. I would say it is highly worth it. CQ maps are fun infantry Battles, Armored Kill maps are giant sprawling maps, Aftermath is tight city battles, and End Game is a nice middle of the road map approach with more varied terrain. All are worth it in my opinion. The guns are quite nice in each pack too.

          Here is the Origin description of what you get with all the premium combined (including Back to Karkand):

          Combined, these five expansion packs include 20 maps, 20 new weapons, 10+ new vehicles, 4 new game modes, 30+ Assignments and 20+ dog tags
          • Unique in-game knife
          • Unique in-game dog tags
          • 10+ unique soldier camos
          • Unique weapon camos
          • Stats reset feature
          • 10+ unique Platoon emblem decals
          • Increased Platoon emblem layers
          • Server queue priority
          • Save up to five of your favorite Battle Reports
          • 5+ unique Assignments
          • Exclusive competitions
          • Exclusive Double XP events
          • Exclusive videos
          • Strategy guides
          • Additional bonus content


          http://store.origin.com/store/ea/htm...eb_Hero_BuyNow

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

            I don't want BF2 again.

            I want a game that balances tactical potential, teamwork, and fun.

            I loved BF3 and will undoubtedly buy BF4 just to give it a whirl.

            But without longer engagements it is would just be more of the same with nicer graphics.

            I want more than that in my gaming experience.

            As you say, it is all about tastes.

            BTW, I racked up over 250,000 million views of my BF3 videos on YouTube. Not bad for an old fart!
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

              I wasn't saying really anything directly to you, Its just with the consoles, increased player counts and shifting audience its not going to be like BF2s tactical side ever again which IS what you want, you aren't going to get random people to play together as much as they did in BF2, you aren't going to have the same depth of command, you aren't going to have a good experience without it if its what you want in the game because of how the majority of people play the game,


              I stopped playing because the majority of people who play the game are so damn dumb, I don't know how or why TG expects them to play the game the "TG way", someone who can't throw ammo down is certainly not going to follow your commands, they aren't going to follow the rules, they aren't going to play the game with any sort of teamwork, its not needed and its not wanted by these players.

              Longer engagements in depth command and a bigger focus on tactical comes with having the right people, the right people don't just show up in your server any more, they have to be found, they have to recruited and they have to be taught your ways.


              Even though there might only be 12 people working together in any shape on the TG BF3 server, its a world of difference, an entire server of 64 players doing the same would make it a different game, BF4 NEEDS that for TG.
              Last edited by Brainhurts; 04-24-2013, 03:39 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

                Indeed I did not take it personally (I am always glad and grateful when someone takes the time to respond!).

                As you note, it is playing with TGers that makes a game worth while in the end.

                Teamwork and maturity changes everything.

                After reading thousands of comments on my videos over the years it is very clear to me that these games break down into two groups -- those that understand the nature and value of mature teamwork and those who do not.

                I had some great moments of tactical teamwork in BF3, as I am certain many others here have enjoyed.

                See you in BF4.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

                  Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                  Indeed I did not take it personally (I am always glad and grateful when someone takes the time to respond!).

                  As you note, it is playing with TGers that makes a game worth while in the end.

                  Teamwork and maturity changes everything.

                  After reading thousands of comments on my videos over the years it is very clear to me that these games break down into two groups -- those that understand the nature and value of mature teamwork and those who do not.

                  I had some great moments of tactical teamwork in BF3, as I am certain many others here have enjoyed.

                  See you in BF4.
                  Well Spoken E-Male. Couldnt agree with you more!
                  Proud 5th Alum

                  /DaVinci_Q

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

                    ha...i've recently downloaded BF2 again...ostensibly to play some PR...but I've been finding myself going on random servers just to give the old maps a whirl. The teamwork is scant however and it gets old quick. Still...having fun, at least in spurts. I'll probably buy BF4. Those who know me know I'm an ARMA guy and you can't get more different than the BF series compared to ARMA. By the way ARMA 3 is looking pretty good. The alpha that is out now has really improved CQB and the full release looks very promising later this year. For those of you that always wanted to slow down BF3 to a more in depth shooter I think ARMA 3 might have some appeal for you.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

                      Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      ha...i've recently downloaded BF2 again...ostensibly to play some PR...but I've been finding myself going on random servers just to give the old maps a whirl. The teamwork is scant however and it gets old quick. Still...having fun, at least in spurts. I'll probably buy BF4. Those who know me know I'm an ARMA guy and you can't get more different than the BF series compared to ARMA. By the way ARMA 3 is looking pretty good. The alpha that is out now has really improved CQB and the full release looks very promising later this year. For those of you that always wanted to slow down BF3 to a more in depth shooter I think ARMA 3 might have some appeal for you.
                      I tried ARMA 3 Lite and just couldn't get into it. After a good half hour I finally had the controls down enough to do reasonably okay through the tutorial type missions, but even then I was screwing up once and needing to redo the entire thing.

                      I have always had 2 problems with ArmA: (1) The controls are mind bogglingly complex to do even the simplest things. (2) It just isn't a game you can jump in and have some fun and then jump out.

                      They seem to have made significant progress on problem 1.

                      Problem 2 is still there. No insult to the people who enjoy it. Something about it puts it in the same category as Left 4 Dead for me. It is these co-op type games where you are screwing over your team if you leave during a map and you can't really get into it if you join during a map. These games that require at least a two to three hour block of time set aside just for that game. I may play BF3 for 3-4 hours on a weekend, but knowing that I can leave at almost any time without completely screwing my teammates over is a big difference.

                      There is a reason I play FPS games and not RTS games online. I lack commitment.

                      I don't think they will ever make ArmA able to be played like that though. I know they have some instant action type modes, but those really aren't what the ArmA community plays and I can't see much point to them compared to a BF3 or something designed around that philosophy of faster fun (sort of like how I don't appreciate COD type fast fun in my BF games...that is even quicker fun than I need).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

                        Cannot wait to you see again brother ! Hope all is well with you . Bob
                        sigpic
                        *New to TG Start Here !*BF4 Server Rules !*Battlefield 4 at TacticalGamer !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

                          Just noticed this on Newegg: BF4 Pre-Order, Release Date = 12/31/2013. Genius marketing dept. (sarcasm) releasing it after Christmas, and on New Years Eve... :icon_roll

                          :icon_frow
                          |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

                            Originally posted by Brainhurts View Post
                            BF3 has been well worth the money Ive spent on it, There is still a good 5-6 months until BF4.

                            BF4 does sound as if its going to be an improved BF3, Could be wrong or right but I do know the maps are going to more or less be built with 64+ players in mind instead of 24 players, it is going to have some sort of commander mode, and if medal of honor is anything to go by its going to have a working voip system, its both frostbite 2 and ESN sonar/Battlelog, so no excuse what so ever for there to be no in game voip.
                            you voip tease ... ;)

                            did medal of honour have ingame voip like BF2 or the website battlelog version ?
                            is medal of honour build in the same engine as BF4 ?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: coming back to BF... 3 or 4?

                              It used the exact same system as BF3.

                              Both games use Frostbite 2, Battlelog and ESN sonar.


                              But they had it set up and built to work to connect you in game with your squad.




                              Why they never added it to BF3 after?


                              Im not a programmer but I know its hard to do, Dice are pretty lazy and you'd need a decent set up for voip to be useful at all.


                              The Beta is supposed to out in a month or two so we will see then.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X