Server Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Changes

In an attempt to return to a more traditional game mode and promote a more tactical environment we are currently making adjustments to the server setup and map lists on the TG BF3 server.

The server, as it is right now, is less dynamic in regards to game mode varieties, but we are going to try a more static approach with a focus on Conquest, with the occasional Rush map thrown in. Currently you won't find Scavenger, Air Superiority, CTF, TDM, or Gunmaster in the lineup.

Now we all have our own opinions about what maps are great maps and what maps are not, or what game-modes are worth playing and what are less appealing. A map that I think is great fun may be the map you think is worthless. Keep that in mind as we discuss lineups, server changes, comments, and suggestions from the playerbase.

What we need in this thread, from you, is commentary, and honest polite opinion. Is this the approach we need? Is this something the community will get behind and support? Does this map list suck? Let us know what you think, give us your opinion on what maps should or shouldn't be in the rotation. Do we target a rotation of 8 - 12 maps, or throw them all in the mix?

What we don't need in this thread is negativity. We want to manage the server with the ideals of TG and it's player-base in mind, and based on what you want when you log-in to the server.
    |TG-6th|FYAH29
    "So Far, So Good................So What"

Re: Server Changes

Awesome! I like the changes. Personally, I felt that game modes like scavenger were completely out of tune for TG teamplay. One of the reasons I have not been playing on our server was the map rotation.

Personally, I like the smaller infantry based maps. A bit of armor here and there is fine - however, having a third of the team in vehicles is not the game I like to play.

I would like to see the server size set to 24 or 32. Gametracker.com shows our server with only two nights over the last month with 30 players. I'd like to see VIP slots for supporting members!

I am a bit worried about mixed modes. Personally, I love both conquest and rush. However, I worry that switching game modes frequently will cause a drop in the server population.

These are my favorite small conquest/assault maps (not large):
    * Azadi
    * Bazzar
    * Epicenter
    * Metro
    * Karkland
    * Sienne
    * Talah

Runner up small conquest maps:
    * Kiasar
    * Kharg
    * Markaz
    * Noshahr
    * Pipeline
    * Riverside
    * Teheran

Here's the best reference I've found for map images: http://www.global-conflict.org/wiki/...lefield_3_maps

I know a lot of people have given up on BF3 (and with good reason: it failed to live up to BF2/2142). However, it can still be a great tactical shooter. All we need is this new map rotation and more TG guys in teamspeak!

Comment

So happy to see this happening. No offense to the admins or anybody else, but this was killing the server. I was about to just about to give up on the TG server and start playing exclusively on other servers because I was tired of playing the same couple of rush maps over and over. Thank you FYAH and the other admins!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
      [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
      [support]

Comment

Sniff I really have no idea what you are talking about. The only rush you played over and over was squad rush and that was the populating map. Even Karkand, which was the most frequent, hasn't been on that often lately. If you look at this

http://www.gametracker.com/server_in...5.149.7:25200/

the majority of what we have been playing was Conquest Domination or Gun Game on those CQ maps.

That isn't going to change I imagine as there simply are not that many good small conquest that are good for populating (8 people on Bazaar is borderline, and Metro only works if you make sure it never surpasses 24 players). So a lack of squad rush means even more of those same 4 maps for populating. They are good maps, but this "we always play rush" thing is just a figment of your imagination. We always played a round or two of squad rush to get it going before we largely played CQ maps.

The only proper Rush map we play anymore is Karkand and occasionally Kisar (two of the worst Rush maps in my opinion). I would much rather see Caspian, Talah, Markaz, Tehran, Death Valley, Wake, Kharg. Actually, similar to what Bleeding Knee said, Rush is actually a good way to work in those really large maps that you often cannot get the player count for. Rush plays well in the 32 range but not as well at 48-64.

Generally, I'm fine with this move. Scavenger is a weird game mode. We have actually gotten it to play tactically on a few nights recently, but it is not built quite right for it (especially in hardcore). So no loss there.

My concern is actually more about the plugins being set up correctly. What has been emptying the server lately is that the map rotations have not been random when moving up or down in population (so we always play the same Squad Rush map when we got under 8 people) or the tickets have not changed properly (1450 is a long game of Scavenger... it is equally annoying on Seine Conquest). 2 rounds on the same CQ Dom is rather pointless as there are not fixed team spawns so you aren't really swapping sides.

If the plugins are set up properly (which FYAH says they are now), then I think you guys are good with whatever gametype you choose (assuming it is appropriate for the number of players on the server). You can't make everyone happy, but you can have the server run smoothly through plugins to make sure that a good variety flows through the servers without needing constant attention from admins.

FYAH seems to be making changes to get this to run smoothly, so I am optimistic.

(EXTRA : Here is the link I use to refresh my memory on map names http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Ca..._Battlefield_3 )
        Last edited by Misnomer; 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

64 max player (5 flag conquest)
          Conquest: Seine Crossing(5 flags), Caspian Border, Kharg, Karkand, All Aftermath and Endgame maps are good for large numbers

32 max player (3 flag not 5 flag gamemode)
          Conquest: Grand Bazaar, Seine Crossing(4 flags), Epicenter, Metro, maybe Damavand Peak and Tehran highway,

Conquest Maps to avoid:
          Don't play Karkand 5 flag, Sharqi Peninsula, Noshahr, and Gulf of Oman. Those maps are very unbalanced.

32 max players rush
          Rush: Most maps are good, it is really hit and miss the big maps need armor to actually work so if there are 32 players its good but less than say 24 players or so not so much.

Rush Map Breakdown:
          Bazaar, Seine Crossing, and Damavand Peak are good with inf. or small amount of people say 20. Karkand is good with or without vehicles. Don't play any rush map with an AC-130 its op(same goes for conquest but rush is even worse) and don't play Noshahr Canals in any way All other rush maps are ok it really depends on what people like to play.

I personally like all the aftermath maps for conquest.

My advice is start with a large number of maps and see what people like. Then take away maps that seem to not work/force people to leave/are not fun to play. Then you can get a small/normal list of maps to play.

One last thing Hardcore gamemode makes the defenders on rush have a significant advantage. If the server is HC best not to play rush at all unless it a good balanced map

Comment

Our server is not showing up in the search readily. One needs to select both Hardcore and Infantry Only to find our server.

As much as I personally like to play infantry only, it may hurt our server's chances of being populated...

Comment

One of the reasons for the server settings over the past year was due to the difficulty in finding the server via battlelog. We'll see how it plays out between now and the end of the weekend and maybe change if we have to. If so it would be to remove the "infantry only" setting that is currently only on 3 of the maps. I'm also adjusting the list based on the feedback I'm getting here, so it is definitely a work in progress. Keep the suggestions coming.

Mid-week is tough, especially for a game closing in on two years with a new release pending, so regardless of how the next couple of nights go I plan on seeding our server Friday night through the primetime hours (East coast). If after seeding up with our usual weekend crowd we're not pulling in players we may make a change.
              |TG-6th|FYAH29

Comment

I think it is a mistake to mix infantry only with regular modes. I think we will lose the people who come for the infantry only, and that our server being hard to find will cause us to never get visited. I think our best bet is with a hardcore conquest only server.

Comment

Could you put in some refreshment stands? I get real thirsty running around all the time looking for players to shoot. I have to lay my guy down and run off to the kitchen for something to drink and when I get back someone has knifed me or doing something disgusting to me!

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingKnee View Post
                    I think it is a mistake to mix infantry only with regular modes. I think we will lose the people who come for the infantry only, and that our server being hard to find will cause us to never get visited.
                    Probably true because the infantry filter is stupid. The only way I have ever seen IO work is after the server has 20 or so on it already you rotate it to an IO map. This works with Tehran mostly because that map has issues with vehicles.

I disagree with a lot of what Hardwind says about maps:

Originally posted by HardWind View Post
                    32 max player (3 flag not 5 flag gamemode)
                    Conquest: Grand Bazaar, Seine Crossing(4 flags), Epicenter, Metro, maybe Damavand Peak and Tehran highway,
                    Anything over 24 on Metro is a grind fest, especially on 3 flags. Same goes for Damavand on 3 flags because there is no chopper to flank. Damavand on Conquest is 5 flags or nothing for me because the little bird is everything. Otherwise it is a matter of who has a tank with the most engineers at the centerpoint. Horrible conquest map.

Tehran is horribly imbalanced with vehicles. The team on the hill will basically always lose. Still can be fun though so I suppose we can tolerate it.

Conquest Maps to avoid:
                    Don't play Karkand 5 flag, Sharqi Peninsula, Noshahr, and Gulf of Oman. Those maps are very unbalanced.
                    What is your problem with Sharqi and Oman? They are very well balanced from my experience. Just the jet imbalance on Oman? Most teams can deal with that because you get better armor presence as attackers if you hold any beach points.

Karkand is imbalanced because of poor vehicle balancing and Noshahr is tolerable, but poorly balanced for vehicles as well. So agree there.

32 max players rush
                    Rush: Most maps are good, it is really hit and miss the big maps need armor to actually work so if there are 32 players its good but less than say 24 players or so not so much.

Rush Map Breakdown:
                    Bazaar, Seine Crossing, and Damavand Peak are good with inf. or small amount of people say 20. Karkand is good with or without vehicles. Don't play any rush map with an AC-130 its op(same goes for conquest but rush is even worse) and don't play Noshahr Canals in any way All other rush maps are ok it really depends on what people like to play.
                    Noshahr is a terrible Rush map, I agree. But it has its moments in Conquest and you said don't even play it there. Karkand sucks with vehicles and a small number of players. You need more than 20 to make Karkand even plausible with vehicles.

I haven't felt the AC-130 was unbalanced in Rush since they patched it. Two people with stingers can usually eliminate it early in the game. Granted it is a pretty silly mechanic to have it as a free kill machine until someone pull out a stinger, but it isn't unbalanced.

One last thing Hardcore gamemode makes the defenders on rush have a significant advantage. If the server is HC best not to play rush at all unless it a good balanced map

Eh. I suppose you mean this because of no health regen and low health means an attacker will be more likely to die. Plus lack of all squad spawn makes forward progress harder. Perhaps also the fact that snipers are one hit kills means more sniper camping. I think that just forces smarter play, but you are probably right since most people don't want to think to play this game.

Comment

Can we change the idle player boot setting? Can we have it boot the idle players only if the server is full? It would help seed the server...

Comment

It's been adjusted up to 24, we'll see how it plays out. Thanks
                        |TG-6th|FYAH29

Comment

We confirmed something about two maps last night:

Karkand Conquest Assault (5 Flag)

Noshahr Small Conquest (3 Flag)

Are not fun with less than 16 players because there is almost a requirement to use vehicles to get to the first flag. Even if there isn't on Karkand Conquest Assault, it is simply too large for under 16.

The server rapidly depopulated when it hit these.

Comment

I've pulled Karkand 5 and Noshahr from the list and replaced them for now.

I think the biggest problem is being searchable and easy to find via Battlelog. Even though most of the maps were set for "Custom setting: normal vehicle spawn", I think the custom variable wasn't helping. All maps in both rotations are now set for default Hardcore. Let's see how it helps.
                            |TG-6th|FYAH29

Comment

Rule of thumb: small player amount(under 16) = small maps - big player amount(above 48) = big maps.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X