Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Alpha] Electronic warfare (MAV operations)

Gents and gals,

I've been putting my recently unlocked MAV through its paces on Wake, in order to see how it can help us overcome the dreaded Soflam-Javelin combo (both on offence as well as defence). While I've got some ways to go before truly mastering the fine art of MAVving, here are some preliminary observations that might prove useful:

• A MAV is essentially invisible and inaudible to the enemy on the ground when flying above 200 feet or so.
    • The EMP blast can destroy Soflams, enemy MAVs, TUGSes, spawn beacons and (untested) claymores.
    • The EMP's range seems to be unlimited, or at least is very long.
    • It is not necessary to obtain a "lock on" designator and tone to destroy enemy equipment. Just aiming precisely for the target and firing the EMP suffices.
    • Locating enemy Soflams is easy as pie on servers with 3D spotting enabled. On the servers we tend to frequent, however, things are not as peachy. More tests are necessary to determine the effectiveness of hunting for Soflams without the aid of 3D spotting. I'd be grateful if anyone would like to assist me on this scientific quest.
    • It takes about 25 seconds after launch from the US HQ island to get a MAV into position over A or E (and somewhat longer to get to C).
    • I have not been able to test yet how well Soflams lock onto a MAV flying at altitude. More experimentation is needed in this area as well.

My early conclusion: just like in real-life operations, it might be very lucrative to send in a wave of ELINT/EW drones in advance of the first assault troops and air wings. Two or three MAVs should be enough to wipe out all enemy Soflam equipment, provided that we can locate the damn things. I think we should playtest this tactic to see how effective it can be.
    <insert signature spam here>

Re: Electronic warfare (MAV operations)

Some good thoughts here, if possible I will hopefully be available later on this evening/night probably after 10pm EST to test some of this with you. We could make use of the 19th's server for some of this.

I'll try to get on TS, just poke me and we can link up to try this.
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you sir, although I should have pointed out that I'm one of those damned Euros and therefore badly affected by Time Zone Discrepancy Syndrome. :) A possibility would be to meet up sometime during the weekend, in the afternoon (over there) and evening (over here). Alternatively, I'm hoping we've got some more Old Worlders amongst us, so we can band together and invade another colony or island in the Pacific, or something.

Comment

Roger that, I do have the luxury of working from home right now so I am online for a majority of the day. If you want to test some stuff out today whatever time for you (assuming afternoon your time) I should be around and can free up some time, just PM me or add me to Battlelog, will probably stay signed in there most of the day as well.
        sigpic

Comment

I like the idea of the drone rush from a theoretical standpoint, but getting a foothold is more imperative. If we hold off, they'll be way too dug in and enemy air power will have a field day with our forces crossing the water.

By the time any of our forces make landfall, they'll still be getting to position with their armor and SOFLAMs/etc. We should be clean once we hit the land.

Comment

I agree with Anospa, we need a foothold (preferably more than one) on the land ASAP. By all means send a MAV or two ahead of the main force but we still need to be pushing while this happens.

Comment

A MAV should be sent over A to help us target stragglers and any enemy equipment. I hate playing hide and seek at a point we already own.
              sigpic

Comment

If the MAV goes down, the recon needing it will need a resupply to get another one. I propose having the recon start on the carrier, use the MAV for as long as possible, and then get on a RHIB and rejoin his squad once we establish a foothold.
                He was told that he should not kill, and he did not kill, until he got into the Army. Then he was told to kill, and he killed.

Comment

Does a MAV auto-spot enemies within a radius?
                  Or is its only value the fact that it's a stable airborn manual spotting tool?
                  BF4: Indiscrimin8

Comment

A MAV acts like a flying motion sensor, so yes, it will auto-spot moving enemies within a certain radius on the ground below. Unfortunately, when manually spotting on a server with 3D-spotting disabled (i.e. the TG servers), enemy equipment like SOFLAMs and spawn beacons do not show up (neither on the HUD nor on the minimap). Those assets need to be located and EMP zapped manually -- play testing has shown this to be quite challenging, alas.

Comment

Can't you spawn in the island where the amtrac is located and launch the MAV from there?
                      It's almost immediately in the AO.

Comment

Originally posted by DocGuo View Post
                        Can't you spawn in the island where the amtrac is located and launch the MAV from there?
                        It's almost immediately in the AO.
                        Yup, its how you get to some of the boats and the AMTRAC.

Also, in response to Lekdevil, you will get a small triangle/icon on equipment when you are looking directly at it. But at that point, you already know where the equipment is anyways.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X