This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Alpha] Defensive Strategy Discussion

We already have a few postings on this that I'll have Aruncado consolidate here when he has a chance. Let's talk defense! We have our squad assignments and a good idea of what our assets are, so let's figure out how to put them to best use. Again, please remember that detailed plans do not usually survive first engagement, so let's concentrate on initial strategies.

Re: Defensive Strategy Discussion

As stated, haven't gotten around to consolidating threads yet, but let's get the discussion going. I'd like to look at our strategic options on defense in the light of our discussed offensive options for a minute. So far, we've come up with the following:

a) take C right off the bat and attempt to hold it
    b) bum rush A or E and roll up to C
    c) split forces between A and E and try to hold enough flags on both sides to bottle them up at C and keep the bleed on

There's a decent chance the other team will try one of these plans, since they're what we've come up with, as well. Which do we think is most likely, and what's the best way to defend against what we think is coming? Do we want to set up a solid defense in certain spots, or would we rather go with a reactive defense?

We could always start with a few people spawned in to run armor assets and to wait and see where the enemy goes, then squad bomb wherever they hit first. That could maximize our infantry's effectiveness in a reactionary enough manner that we'd bring enough force to bear quickly enough to shrug off their first attempt--or we could overextend ourselves.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
      We could always start with a few people spawned in to run armor assets and to wait and see where the enemy goes, then squad bomb wherever they hit first. That could maximize our infantry's effectiveness in a reactionary enough manner that we'd bring enough force to bear quickly enough to shrug off their first attempt--or we could overextend ourselves.
      I'd keep only two squads, max, in reserve like this. Our biggest advantage is the water they have to cross, and I think we'd be best suited trying to keep them off the island for as long as possible. And I'd commit them early. Charlie should have a full squad at all times and that squad should always be willing to yell for help asap, which would basically mean that as soon as people started dying, they should switch their spawnpoint to Charlie.
      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

That's more what I was thinking--didn't get the description out too well. Had a brain wave as I was typing the post and was in a rush. :p I think this is where having a field CO will come in handy; the CO can watch to see where to commit our forces early on and call it as it happens.

Edit: I like the one squad at C idea. Enough people should be dying quickly enough to reinforce that in a hurry if we need to.
        Last edited by Arithea; 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

The initial strategy for defense should be: have the majority of our team holding spawn.

We defend where we need to. You cannot prepare for all scenarios and sometimes decisions must be made on the fly.
          The commander along with 2-3 recons will be able to provide valuable recon on where the enemy is heading. We start allowing certain squads to spawn in.

After that, it can get much more chaotic.
          I would suggest defending where we have to but to ultimately hold on to C, D, E.
          If this fails, we need other plans to control ticket bleed.

For this thread, I would say writing a defensive plan is nearly impossible since defense is always reactionary.
          We react to what they do and plan accordingly. That is very much "in-the-moment" decision making.

Comment

That's why I'm wanting to keep the discussion here to initial strategies and overall priorities, Doc. ;) Good points. I would also prioritize the D/E side of the island over the A/B side, since it's easier to defend the approach from B to C.

Comment

I like the "some squads hold spawn" train of thought. Game starts and 1 squad spawns in at C and the armor/air squads all spawn in. That leaves us approximately 12 people to allocate. We get a recon or two at each tip of the island for MAV coverage. As soon as we get some intel on how they are spreading out the commander can call spawns on the fly. If they attempt to just steamroll one side or the other we can squad bomb the 8-10 remaining players there to reinforce. Not bad for an initial plan.

I agree that we'll have to be playing a very reactionary defense. HOWEVER, we have to be sure that we aren't all reacting the same way at the same time. If we start to lose a flag we don't all need to go defend it...we need to shift only the forces necessary so as not to weaken ourselves somewhere else.

I want to make a suggestion for the use of the Tunguska on defense. I know it is a beast against infantry and still good against armor...however, I can't help but feel we should leave that as a defensive asset at Charlie. Use it to defend the airfield from squads sneaking around the beach and to harass the enemy air assets as they fly past. Between one whole squad defending Charlie and the Tunguska that flag should be safe from surprise attacks/harassment from the enemy.

On a final note we should discuss a rough idea for initial armor use. The tanks that spawn A/E should just stay on their peninsula and defend A-B/E-D respectively. What are the opinions for the tank spawn at Charlie though? Hold back and reinforce where needed? Equip guided shells/zoom optics and pretend to be artillery? Any other ideas? I'm just not sure how best to employ it.

Comment

The tank on Charlie should reinforce whichever side needs help. If they go for C, stay and defend.
                The tunguska should probably stay behind and just provide overwatch of our jet/heli spawns. Having armor to react to helicopter drops is way more useful.
                As for all tanks, having canister shells will probably be more useful. We are fighting infantry and we control 3 tanks at the start. We have all the advantage in the world. Guided shells are finicky to say the least and IR flares can be stacked.

As for the reactionary defense, it's up to the commander to allocate resources as necessary, gauge strength and feedback from SLs on the ground. If a squad can't hold, tell the commander what kind of players they are up against.
                Prioritize flags based on their importance and realize certain combinations of flags are better to defend together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Also no one has touched upon the soflam defense for the initial defense. (You may not want to use this, commander, but know that it can and may be used)

I've done this to great effect on my AAR titled "Wake Island Madness".

We can take this to the extreme on a much more coordinated level. Have 3 soflams set up (1 redundant soflam)
                Have the teams set up with 6 javelins engineers. (Spread among three squads) 3 resupply people, 2 medics. The rest in tanks/tunguskas/jets/3 recons (MAV).
                I don't know the specific numbers but with 25 people, there's plenty of wiggle room.

What they can attack with:
                F-35 (countered by Tunguska/soflam)
                Transport helo (countered by Tunguska/soflam)
                Amtrac (countered by tanks/soflam)
                Fast boats (The rest of our team focuses on how to eliminate them off the island with tank support)

The direct counter to this defensive plan is using only fast boats or having lots of engineers repairing the Transport helo.
                That being said, would the enemy team expect a coordinated soflam defense?

This plan is extremely powerful at stopping the initial push if they are not prepared.
                This plan is preemptive and is not reactionary.

I just don't know how well-versed they are at using the soflam and if they know how to pull off an effective counter.
                You would only want to use this if they are not expecting it.
                Unfortuneately, my squad in that Wake Island AAR included xBadger so it's almost to be expected that they understand this type of initial defensive plan.
                Last edited by TheSc1entist; 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DocGuo View Post
                  This plan is extremely powerful at stopping the initial push if they are not prepared.
                  This plan is preemptive and is not reactionary.

I just don't know how well-versed they are at using the soflam and if they know how to pull off an effective counter.
                  You would only want to use this if they are not expecting it.
                  Unfortuneately, my squad in that Wake Island AAR included xBadger so it's almost to be expected that they understand this type of initial defensive plan.
                  They would most definitely be expecting it. That doesn't make it any less of a good idea though. It will keep them defensive and distracted.

I like the idea of the canister shell, but the Charlie tank could be awesome for artillery. The Tunguska will be nearby to assist against infantry if need be.

Comment

I think we can assume that they have at least a few people who are well-versed in the uses of the SOFLAM, but I'm with Ano--I don't think that makes it less worth it to get at least one up at the start of the round.

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
                      I think we can assume that they have at least a few people who are well-versed in the uses of the SOFLAM, but I'm with Ano--I don't think that makes it less worth it to get at least one up at the start of the round.
                      Three at least: one at alpha, one at echo, one at charlie. Maybe less if each tank is running CITV, but I really think that good SOFLAM coverage will keep them off the beach. Honestly, three SOFLAMS plus the CITV stations on the tanks seems like a must.
                      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                        Three at least: one at alpha, one at echo, one at charlie. Maybe less if each tank is running CITV, but I really think that good SOFLAM coverage will keep them off the beach. Honestly, three SOFLAMS plus the CITV stations on the tanks seems like a must.
                        The only (potential) problem with that approach is that SpecOpses carrying SOFLAMs can't also bring MAVs, so our reconnaissance capability will suffer accordingly (unless we have an excessive number of players going bush wookie). I think it's probably a good idea to determine in advance how many SOFLAMs and MAVs we'd like to have approximately. Suggestions?
                        <insert signature spam here>

Comment

I believe the Javalin defense is a must, as it effectively blocks vehicles and even if they can manage to get in close, engineers can mow down infantry with the G36 and Scar, but one point to think about with the holding spawn approach, we must remember that they may do exactly what we were planning and feign a strong attack to one side and slip all of their SL's onto the other. Another point to remember is that if we have two really accurate snipers, they can effectively force the other team to attack with choppers as they would be able to snipe any people out of boats who attempted to land by sea.

Former TG-21st
                          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by Lekdevil.NL View Post
                            The only (potential) problem with that approach is that SpecOpses carrying SOFLAMs can't also bring MAVs, so our reconnaissance capability will suffer accordingly (unless we have an excessive number of players going bush wookie). I think it's probably a good idea to determine in advance how many SOFLAMs and MAVs we'd like to have approximately. Suggestions?
                            In the initial attack, MAVs are less useful than SOFLAMs. We can get set up and in place at the start of the round, which is when SOFLAMs shine. I think they will do their best to kill the SOFLAMs, which means that once they're down, recons should start switching over to MAVs. Once they are on the island, the SOFLAM barrage gets a lot less valuable compared to the MAVs. So, basically, I think 3 SOFLAMs and a MAV (estimating the number of people who want to play recon here) switching over to 1 SOFLAM and 3 MAVs as we lose points.

I could be over-estimating the use of SOFLAMs, since I haven't ever played with all tanks having the CITV station. For this reason, I think if we're going to lose A or E (and the attendant spawn) tanks should be fleeing for their life.

Comment

Let's get our plans finalized today so we can hopefully get some practice time in before Saturday. It sounds like we're all pretty much on board with a reactionary defensive plan. Here's what I'm thinking: let's get some of Foxtrot/Hotel to spawn in at A and E and take over the armor assets there, along with one member each from Delta and Echo squads to put up SOFLAMs. Let's put Alpha squad in charge of the defense at C and get the rest of Foxtrot/Hotel to man the Tunguska there. That leaves two squads in reserve to spawn in wherever they're needed once we figure out where the initial rush is coming.

That should cover our butts well enough until we figure out what the other team is doing. Communication is going to be key when it comes to reacting well to whatever they send us.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X