This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Alpha] Naming Wake's waypoints

So this was mentioned in one of the other threads but I thought may be we should discuss this on its own. How should we go about naming/referencing different positions on the map. Or is there names that are used already? I was playing a round earlier today and I really noticed that people were only using flag references, but these did not match up alot of the time based on which direction people were looking.

Thoughts?
    sigpic

Re: Naming Wake's waypoints

Interesting idea.

I have to admit I use the flags as reference, but it's annoying to give out the wrong direction due to the craptastic compass. I just don't like that thing at all. Perhaps having certain points would be a good idea. Major land marks? IE the bridge between A-B. The sam sites between D-C. Control tower back of C, tank spawn/mobile opp's container between C-B. Just a few that I can think of. They are all some what in between points more or less.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

I think most of us are pretty familiar with this map from both past experience with other games and in-game time in BF3. It might actually be more difficult to remember the names of set waypoints than it would be to get a really good feel for what's where on the map ahead of time--I know I have a wonderfully Swiss cheese-shaped memory sometimes. :p And it's linear enough that if someone calls "the beach south of the airfield" or "the bridge from A to B" we should be able to figure out what they're referring to pretty quickly. But if anyone has any habitual names for certain places on the map, by all means, post them here! We all need to be on the same page as far as references go.

I generally call beaches either lagoon-side or outside.

Comment

Agreed, the compass is not good, I try to use it, but it takes valuable time to figure out which way is which. On this map I also find it's good to reference inside/middle/outside (lagoon works, just harder for me to say :)). For example instead of saying "the beach south of the airfield" I would say "inside beach at C, coming from D or B", or "Amtrac rolling up outside beach at A". Also there's only 2 Bridges, just call them A Bridge, and E bridge.

Comment

I like that. "Inside" and "outside" make sense. And it's odd to me that north is actually down on the map as you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
            I like that. "Inside" and "outside" make sense. And it's odd to me that north is actually down on the map as you look at it.
            The situation is even more perplexing than that. North is, in fact, up on the map (just check the compass when in-game), although the North Village and Base are at the bottom and the South Base is at the top. Given the huge potential for utter befuddlement, it's probably advisable to indicate flags by their letter designations instead of their names. This unfortunate mess was brought to you courtesy of the DICE map design team. :)
            <insert signature spam here>

Comment

LOL, indeed, Lek! I don't even try for north/south/east/west on Wake most times. Directions become "toward Bravo" or "C side of Delta."

Comment

Originally posted by Lekdevil.NL View Post
                The situation is even more perplexing than that. North is, in fact, up on the map (just check the compass when in-game), although the North Village and Base are at the bottom and the South Base is at the top. Given the huge potential for utter befuddlement, it's probably advisable to indicate flags by their letter designations instead of their names. This unfortunate mess was brought to you courtesy of the DICE map design team. :)
                Yep, that is because some fool went and turned the game map 180 degrees in orientation from the previous 1942 and BF2 versions.. It actually started with who ever built the 1943 version, as it is the same orientation as the BF3 one.... Yet they couldnt really rename the CPs, as that would make too much sense... They need to just turn it back around the way it should be, like the real island.
                theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                E Pluribus Unum
                Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed