Single Shot/Burst vs. Full Auto - BF3 Weapon "Feel"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Shot/Burst vs. Full Auto - BF3 Weapon "Feel"

Weapons don't handle in BF3 as they did in BF2142 or BC2. I found myself burst firing SMGs, ARs, and LMGs, and that's just plain the wrong way to go about it. Full auto seems to be the most effective way of taking down anything past 20m. Bursts, for whatever reason, are not required, and almost feel less effective.
    The guns themselves, though, have a much, much, smaller reticle bloom or spread when fired in full auto. Even when moving, the bullets leave in a pretty tight stream.

This is, really, why a lot of people are saying (and I'm inclined to agree) that BF3 weapons feel a lot like MoH. Very deadly, and very accurate. This isn't a bad thing, just different.

Re: Weapon sound accuracy

I think it's a great thing that they feel like that, yes weapons have recoil. But in the game we are US army/marines they are well exactly what they are they are strong and able to maintain a weapon steady for firing they are trained. To me this is what the game has the feel too.

Comment

I've noticed the same thing as Zhohar...full auto is the only way to go...bursting just puts you at a disadvantage...might have to unlearn some things...but we'll see how release is.

Comment

I agree with going full auto on certain LMGs which kick even when carefully burst firing, but at longer ranges with assault rifles and smg's, shooting in single shot mode works best.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
          Weapons don't handle in BF3 as they did in BF2142 or BC2. I found myself burst firing SMGs, ARs, and LMGs, and that's just plain the wrong way to go about it. Full auto seems to be the most effective way of taking down anything past 20m. Bursts, for whatever reason, are not required, and almost feel less effective.
          Its like the soldier tightens his grip on the weapon after a second of full-auto, and the bullets start to connect.
          sigpic

Comment

The guns themselves, though, have a much, much, smaller reticle bloom or spread when fired in full auto. Even when moving, the bullets leave in a pretty tight stream.
            Quoted for truth! Yup the recoil on burst is overblown, this is countered by simply holding down the fire button on full auto lol. Very strange and counter intuitive and somewhat...well...skill less. Single shot on the M16 at range seems effective still but the M416 etc, thats only a LAZOR if you hold down the trigger, otherwise the bouncy recoil puts you at a total disadvantage. Still I get over my frustration by entering small areas with the 870, that always puts a smile on my face. I shudder at the thought of the USAS with mag equipped.

Comment

Well it's a game so I guess any argument of realism is sort of mute but to think that a short burst is less accurate over a full auto is sort of odd. If the argument can be made that we are playing professional trained soldiers and that they can stay on target with full auto then it also means they can be even more on target with a short burst and still more accurate with a single controlled shot.

I think the fact that we are able to take down a target at medium (50m) to long range (100m) with a full auto is merely either poor mechanics on deviation or because you are putting so many bullets down range that the probability of hitting someone is greater.

In truth I find the full auto phenomena to be arcade like and not Battlefield as it was in the past. The only thing full auto with an assault rifle at 50m should be good for is suppression of the enemy or maybe tanking someone out in the open with no cover and over 100m just suppression at best. There is a reason that the bi-pod deployed LMG should be the king for mowing down enemy at 50m. It's due to the sheer amount of bullets being put down range by a gun that can fire 800 rpm. Take that edge away from the Support class is lessening the class role into simply an ammo carrier with a big gun. Though being an ammo carrier by itself will be make the kit popular, that and the fact it will have C4 which means all the C4 lovers will be playing the Support kit. They should have left C4 with the Spec Ops subclass of the Recon kit if that even exists anymore. But that's a different discussion.

My viewpoint is only relevant on the topic of full-auto. Obviously Assault Rifles are much more accurate when used properly in small burst and single shot capacity. However once again, debating realism on a computer game that doesn't pride itself on realism is not that strong an argument. Though maybe enough people think like me and maybe it will lead to a change in weapon mechanics. It's not like that hasn't happened before countless times in the Battlefield series of games.
              "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
              "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Excellent points Kilroy.

However I still maintain that any 'game' that goes to so much trouble to represent weapons in a 'realistic manner', ie foregrip having an effect on handling, realistic audio and such, is asking for problems when the core function of the weapon, the application of lead downrange, then acts in such contra-common sense manner. I think this is the more relevant term, common sense functionality.

When we do things in game we choose our course of action largely based on our understanding of how things work in rl, limited by the game engine to a degree. This is often magnified by pressure, for example when making a quick decision we default to our base understanding of how things function. Now if the game mechanics branch away from our understanding excessively we perceive it to be 'too gamey' and a disconnect occurs between us and the game world. "I know I should use aimed bursts and control my muzzle climb but the game wants me to simply hold down the trigger". This creates confusion and forces players to learn how to behave in the game world. Utilising a non-sensical behaviour pattern in game worlds that are often so painstakingly 'realistically recreated' breaks things for me. How many times have you heard someone say "Omg he shot me with a shotgun from across the map" versus the rarely heard complaint of "He blew me in half from 10 feet with the shottie". One makes sense and is expected, the other is nonsensical, frustrating and a symbol of silly game mechanics.

I am not expecting a simulator before anyone starts, I play Arma for that, if I want something in between I play PR:BF. No I just want something that is near logical. I don't want to learn that a 9MM PDW is good for sniping simply because it has been assigned ridiculous characteristics arbitrarily as it has been deemed to be higher up the unlock tree. The same goes for deviation or weapon behaviour. You can't put all these cool, performance related addons for weapons in the game and at the same time have a core behaviour be so out of whack with logic. Full auto means muzzle climb and horizontal deviation, it's good for CQB if you don't care about FF or its super close, it's okay for suppression. Single shot and burst are appropriate for long and medium to close. It was like that in BF2 as I saw it, why can't it be like that now, rather than the depress trigger, advance, reload, repeat that so many titles favour.

Comment

In my opinion, DICE putting out two console primary BF games has changed their thinking for the worse. They have been brainwashed into certain mechanics and now that they've made a PC primary BF game they are bringing in console thinking into the PC world. Well, that doesn't work for everything. For example guns are made to be shot easier in console games because the controls are imperfect in comparison to a keyboard and mouse. Com Rose is a pain in the rear end on a console when it's very quick on the PC. There is a whole list of things that are much harder to keep track of and do on the console in comparison to the PC.

Hence I believe their entire perception of game play has changed based upon their development for the console. This change has found its way into the development of a game meant for the PC as a primary but ALSO meant to be played on the console. Hence they've dumbed it down for better ease of multiple platform support. At least that's my theory.
                  "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                  "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                    Full auto means muzzle climb and horizontal deviation, it's good for CQB if you don't care about FF or its super close, it's okay for suppression. Single shot and burst are appropriate for long and medium to close. It was like that in BF2 as I saw it, why can't it be like that now, rather than the depress trigger, advance, reload, repeat that so many titles favour.
                    Fully agree, I really want it to come down to skill...having proper burst discipline is a skill...If I use it I should always (ok 90%) beat someone who is just holding down his fire button and spraying. I can tolerate alot of imperfections, but this one might wreck the game for me...

Comment

Originally posted by kilroy0097 View Post
                      .......Hence they've dumbed it down for better ease of multiple platform support. At least that's my theory.
                      Well dumbing down games opens the game up to a lot more people, like World Of Warcraft did. Who knew EA had spies working at Blizzard/Activision. =P

Comment

The burst fire is too short in conjunction with the amount of recoil produced. With full auto, I can control the length of my "burst" so I can adapt my rate of fire when needed. For me, it's a gradient of how long my trigger stays on. I can't just pick single/burst/full auto without something in between.

Comment

Single Shot/Burst vs. Full Auto - BF3 Weapon "Feel"

Although I have only played the beta for a few hours I already feel a strong difference in the feel of the weapons compared to in BC2. The spread when using full auto seems to be a lot smaller than in previous games and using single shot just feels awkward compared to previous games (maybe because of lag). In BC2, if you were to use rapid fire single shot bursts with say the XM8 and the MG36, it would preform very well with the majority of the bullets lining up almost perfectly (aka long range assaunt rifle/LMG sniping when you aimed well), however in the beta I have not been able to tell much of a difference in single-shot compared to full auto, as even when lining up with single shots it feels like the second, third, etc shots are affected by the recoil and jumping just as much as full auto is. Like I mentioned earlier this may be due to lag, and I will try to test some of it out on small servers later, but I would also like to get all of your opinions on the matter. I personally so far have felt the most natural when using small bursts, but even when I just go full auto it feels almost the same which is completely opposite from BC2. Which mode of fire do you prefer? How do you feel the weapons compare to BF2/2142/BC2?

Former TG-21st
                          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Re: Single Shot/Burst vs. Full Auto - BF3 Weapon "Feel"

I feel burst and auto do a better job than single shots when the player is MOVING. DICE confirmed a glitch were the player takes more damage than normal then they are running. Will be fixed in the final version. However is they are standing still. I get better hits with single and short burst shots.

Comment

Re: Single Shot/Burst vs. Full Auto - BF3 Weapon "Feel"

I used small bursts because that's what my brain tells me. I don't notice much deviation when using full auto. Once the game is release and I can get into a private server I intend to do some heavy testing of the weapon mechanics. I can't prove it yet but I really think they nerfed headshots.

Currently I am using full auto all the time, I tend to have more success when I use longer bursts.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X