SOFLAM and MAV gimmicks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOFLAM and MAV gimmicks?

I have been trying, and failing, to find a useful application for these recon gadgets.

SOFLAM: Effective range is so small that there never seems to be much advantage to trying to paint armor/air assets. I don't know how effective it is at autonomous target acquisition, but manually targeting assets takes me out of the fight for so long that I feel like a burden to my squad/team. Its not as simple as tagging and forgetting a tank in BC2. The mechanics of deployment and use are very cumbersome, and very hard to do in reaction to encountering armor. You need to predict an encounter, or be in place in a spot where you can see a large part of the battlefield.

MAV: Once again, flying this thing around is fun, but I feel like a hindrance rather than an asset to my squad. Sure I can use it to spot infantry, but a TUG does a much better job on a high-action flag and allows me to assist my squad in the firefight. Flying the MAV takes me completely out of the firefight.

Anyone else who has these unlocked found a use for them? I'll keep trying, but I feel like the TUG is the only useful (and it is VERY useful) recon gadget.

Re: SOFLAM and MAV gimmicks?

Did you try climbing the crane on Operation Firestorm Conquest? I was up there with a Stinger, but looking down I could see many enemy tanks, APCs, and mobile AA vehicles moving.

Comment

Try MAV + Mortars, or MAV + see where their entire team is. Its pretty much a MAV + Coordination = easier to do whatever you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Avs View Post
        Try MAV + Mortars, or MAV + see where their entire team is. Its pretty much a MAV + Coordination = easier to do whatever you are doing.
        You would think this would be the case, but on the 64 player servers it feels ineffective. There are just so many players in such a closed area that there is little use to flying above them to spot them.

Maybe it would be helpful with a mortar, I don't know. Not seen one being used yet.

Comment

MAV = commander coordination

On a large map use it to spot enemy movement and coordinate friendly response
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

If we had team voice chat these gadgets would be alot more effective. Think about it, you could announce to your whole team instead of just a squad that a tank is designated and all aircraft and missiles would be on their way, lickity-split.

Damn you DICE for not putting in team voice chat.

/rant
            -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
              If we had team voice chat these gadgets would be alot more effective. Think about it, you could announce to your whole team instead of just a squad that a tank is designated and all aircraft and missiles would be on their way, lickity-split.

Damn you DICE for not putting in team voice chat.

/rant
              I could be wrong, but I think we have team-voice chat. Isn't the only one not working is SL-SL currently ?

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
                I thought we had team-voice chat.
                The problem I have when using the MAV is I don't know who/where anyone but my squad is. I can spot a squad of enemy infantry trying to sneak around the team, and all I can do is blare their location on team wide TS and hope someone responds. But without me being able to specifically (by name) tell the players close enough to respond that they are being flanked, they don't usually listen to me. Its just more noise in an already loud game.

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
                  I could be wrong, but I think we have team-voice chat. Isn't the only one not working is SL-SL currently ?
                  Right, but there are quite a few players that are not on TS. None of them know when I have a lock with my SOFLAM.

On another note, it would just be alot easier if you were able to set down the aiming unit and then run away to cover before you started using it instaed of how it currently is (set down unit and immediately go to aiming mode)
                  -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
                    On another note, it would just be alot easier if you were able to set down the aiming unit and then run away to cover before you started using it instaed of how it currently is (set down unit and immediately go to aiming mode)
                    A thousand times yes. Hate the way it forces me to use it when I deploy it.

Comment

After the last couple of rounds on Firestorm and Caspian, MAV feels almost invaluable.

Amp was running the MAV on Caspian Gas Station (Bravo) and it was beyond useful. We started out defending it, but a lot of hostiles moved in and we got pushed off flag. We dealt with the tanks quickly, but infantry kept pouring in. As an Assault Medic, the intel the MAV was providing was invaluable. We kept a firefight alive against larger numbers for quite some time.
                      On Firestorm, it was beyond useful to know who was on a roof, and exactly where.

Like the choice between an M320 (grenade launcher) and a medkit, the choice between an extra soldier or an MAV in your squad is really tough. They both have incredible benefits, and it's really going to play out that there will be no 'set' kit for a class.

Comment

Question. Can you "Q" spot while flying the MAV?

Sent from HTC EVO via Tapatalk
                        "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                        "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I assume there is no distance limit to the MAV? For example, could you launch it from your UCB and fly it to any flag? Is it affected by the out of bounds for infantry? Flight ceiling?
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Yes, you can Q spot while using the MAV.

And the MAV seems to follow all of the rules of any other aircraft. There is no fuel/time limit on flight. There is no range restriction beyond the map boundaries. You cannot fly out of bounds, there is a flight ceiling.

Comment

I was not happy with how I was using the MAV, no matter how useful the intel is I hate being taken out of the fight as an infantry soldier. So last night I began to experiment.

As a SL I was telling my squad to attack a point, and then deploying the MAV, flying over them to the point, parking it somewhere the enemy was not likely to find it, and then advancing behind my squad. I discovered that even while parked, the MAV motion detection still works. It functions similar to an IDS from 2142. Any enemy that moves in range is displayed on the mini-map. The range is quite large, and unlike the TUG it is not limited by the enemy being on a different level of elevation.

On defense I would park the MAV above the point and help defend.

In both cases the intel the MAV provided was the difference between victory and defeat. My squad was instrumental in winning the games I used this tactic in.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X