Recon MAV; A fast way to level

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recon MAV; A fast way to level

So, I just unlocked my MAV and I have been leveling like mad, if you go onto a normal server with 3D spotting and just hover around you can get tons of surveillance ribbons which then turn into 10,000 point medals. Just wanted to put the idea out there to anyone that wanted to level faster.

Re: Recon MAV; A fast way to level

Anyone else sorta pissed off that it feels like you're grinding in an mmo to rank up and get weapons?

I feel completely ineffective as an engineer with the standard AT launchers; I'm quite a ways from the javelin.

Sorry for the threadjack. I'm pretty excited for the MAV, just got the SOFLAM and I was able to do some big help with my squad and pointing out threats as we moved between flags on Blargh Island.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
      Anyone else sorta pissed off that it feels like you're grinding in an mmo to rank up and get weapons?

I feel completely ineffective as an engineer with the standard AT launchers; I'm quite a ways from the javelin.

Sorry for the threadjack. I'm pretty excited for the MAV, just got the SOFLAM and I was able to do some big help with my squad and pointing out threats as we moved between flags on Blargh Island.
      Engie....in my opinion is the easiest kit to level up with. Repair points are your friend
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Just wait till you get the Javelin, then you can feel ineffective with that too!

Comment

Driving around with a tank pitying all the poor engineers.

"Oh! Mines!"
          *Boom*
          You are awarded the Anti-Explosive Ribbon

2 mines to get the ribbon. 20 mines later in a map I'm up 10 ribbons, a dogtag, and 2000 points for the tank. Glee!
          Now what I'm curious about is I roll around with Proximity Sensors so all the poor engineers lurking in corners get an AP Shell up the backside as they try to hide behind walls. Why don't I get the surveillance ribbon for spotting with my sensors?

Fastest way to level up:
          Assault - Medkit and Revives
          Support - Ammo resupply
          Engineer - Repair
          Recon - Spotting and Headshot sniper kills (double ribbons)

Tanks - Anti-mines and blowing crap up
          Everything else - Blowing crap up
          My sanity is not in question...
          It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I kind of like the fact that AT & AA teams are more effective than one single player with a launcher. It promotes teamwork. I've been thinking how fun it would be to run dedicated AA squads. 2-3 players each with a launcher and a support guy. Think how that would play out on some of these air heavy maps like Caspian Border and such.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

With the guys I play with on the 360, we're thinking of doing an anti-armor squad setup so we can all switch on a dime to get rid of those pesky tanks. 3 engineers with a support guy who's also got mortars.

I'm betting with the AA squad, you could shut down effective air support pretty quickly. The guy who always flys then starts groundpounding or quits the server. Then you're left with probably some sort of sub par pilot who doesn't do nearly as good.

AA squad then turns into AV squad. :)

Comment

Practice with the base AT launchers. Get used to the drop and the lead you'll need. Because the Javelin sucks, as of right now. The long lock on time, buggy nature of the tracking, and the low ammo capacity even with the extra rockets perk makes it basically useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt View Post
                  Practice with the base AT launchers. Get used to the drop and the lead you'll need. Because the Javelin sucks, as of right now. The long lock on time, buggy nature of the tracking, and the low ammo capacity even with the extra rockets perk makes it basically useless.
                  That's what I sorta figured. But hey, we're barely into week 3, I think we'll see some improvements in patches! I have some very mean, hilariously fun, ideas to cause havoc on enemy armor and air power (unfortunately the javelin is the crux of the plan haha).

Comment

I'm torn between a 3rd Engineer or a Recon with the SOFLAM. In theory, the Recon with SOFLAM would dramatically improve the performance of your team against both air and ground assets when using the Javelin. It would also reduce the lock-on timing problem as well and increase the damage with top attack (unless you're manually aiming up for hitting the top). The added functionality of Javelins versus Air would probably be a very strong selling point unless you get lucky with an RPG/SMAW launched into the air.

Could also go for the completely self-sufficient strike force as well. Recon with SOFLAM, 2 engineers with Javelins, and Support with Mortar rolling around in a Tank with a CITV Station. Not sure if anything could take out a fire-team with that much hardware on them.
                    My sanity is not in question...
                    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Ribbons do not add points to your kit. Killing explosives are worth a fraction of the points you could be scoring in a tank as well. However, that does not detract from the fact it's easy to get anti-explosive ribbons if you can spot mines (generally using Thermal Vision).

Using the MAV to get the spotting medal generates less points than you describe. While it takes somewhere between 4-10 games to get 40 ribbons for spotting/motion sensor assists, as you are not killing, you are earning about half of the points you could be getting just by normally killing people (100 points + suppression + assists vs 10 for spot, 20 for motion). Doing a good job equals an average of 20 spots per 100 tickets spent depending on map, so you earn something like 800 points per 100 tickets, which is 8 kills. While you do get the 10,000 points for the medal, if you scored normally you'd make up those points through other means + kills to level up your weapon unlocks. So in short, this isn't a efficient way to score points even if you're looking to just level your soldier up unless you are unable to acquire those points through normal means. A better way to level up quickly is to play a medic on the 24/7 conquest metro servers where you can use defib to revive a million people a round.

Regarding AT weapons: A lot of people feel tanks are over powered but I think that in most cases we never meet up in our tanks against a well prepared AT squad of sorts (generally 2 engineers). It takes only 2 AT shots from the rear to take a tank out (in most cases minus reactive armor), and the range of the Javelin makes killing ATs very easy (just be sure to get explosive perk so you can carry 4 shots, and find a support person to help restock ammo). With AT mines + SMAW/RPG or Jav, killing AT is really simple if you attack it from the sides/back. The true reason why tanks feel like they can take so many hits (when it only takes 4), is because they generally will have a engineer repairing:

4 RPG hits on tank to kill.
                      99 RPG hits on tank if there is a engineer repairing and you are the only AT soldier.
                      6-9 RPG hits on tank if there is a engineer repairing and you have 2 AT soldiers at medium range.

The most important thing to realize for tank drivers and AT soldiers is positioning. Attacking as AT from behind allows you to also kill the engineer. Killing the repairing engineer = tank is screwed unless it kills you. Your positioning provides cover and attack vectors the tank will have trouble reacting to. The tank driver if they are any good at all, is doing everything to prevent that. That includes moving up by itself to tank a position while it can be hit from behind or above. A good tank driver will do things carefully because in BF3, 1 engineer CAN kill a tank easily.

The Javelin is a great weapon. With the huge range it has (and it can hit air but this is more of a skill thing that I recommend people NOT try until they understand Javelin distance as otherwise you'll just waste them), and the ability to fire on laser targets around corners and buildings means you can down vehicles easily. Plus it scares the crap out of anyone inexperienced tank driver. You might not like it because like the SMAW it can get out repaired, but this again revolves around the one single principle:

"If a single AT soldier could take out tanks in this game as norm, nobody would like their design. This however, does not mean it's impossible for a single soldier to do so." - Some girl on battlelog

Also, proximity sensors have a limited range.

Comment

You clearly overlooked the part I said to do this on Normal servers with 3D spotting, and yes I realize this only gets you rank points not class points, and I generally get around 20+ medals per round doing this, while I haven't played in a few days my last top 3 high scores were 15590, 11520 and 6440

I still think it's a very effective way to get your PDW, sidearms and perks quickly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X