Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BF3 Video card requirements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BF3 Video card requirements

    So what are the requirements for BF3? I'm looking at EVGA GeFOrce GTX 550 and a GTX 460 Overclocked. Odd that the 460 is more costly, but it's got more than twice the Stream Processors. I'm thinking that's good!

  • #2
    Re: BF3 Vid card requirements

    I'm waiting to find out...the Beta should reveal a lot.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: BF3 Vid card requirements

      The 460 was replaced by the 560. The 550 is a lower range card compared to either the 460 or 560. 560 is the way to go if it matches up with what's in the wallet. I was able to play Crysis 2 on my 560 at almost max watts on 1920x1050. Since then I've added a second card in SLI. It's the version of the 560 with 2 fans. It runs 10 degrees cooler than my single fan card.




      * *

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: BF3 Vid card requirements

        My 4870 kept me playing on high settings in every game so far, I'm kind of hoping that it could handle BF3 on mid settings or something like that, but if not I'm just gonna buy probably a 6870 and give this one to my younger brother who has a pretty bad card.

        Either way, I'm going to wait until I get my BF3 preorder in and try the game out, I'm hyped and all but I'm gonna wait and see how it runs with my current setup. Might get a little extra € reduction till then, who knows
        ˝Memento audere semper˝


        Comment


        • #5
          Re: BF3 Video card requirements

          This might give you an idea:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fg4jenjM34

          Also found a comparison with the ati 5770 in crossfire, its very impressive and is almost as good as the 480nvidia and the 5870 from amd, and it is $30-$40 cheaper (the review has tons of comparison graphs):
          http://www.legionhardware.com/articl...hd_5850,3.html

          This is the way im going since i already have one 5770 :p
          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: BF3 Video card requirements

            How much do you have to spend? That is the real question. What resolution do you play at and what's your current CPU? Nvidia drivers during the Alpha were absolutely terrible so it's hard to recommend on that end. You can get a 2GB 6950 reference card for ~$230-250 and unlock it to a 6970. The 6950/70 was averaging ~ 60fps so a single 570 should give similar performance but the 1.2G memory may force you to leave AA @ 1X and the Nvidia 400/500 series may be a problem if you have anything other than an Intel i5 or i7 since they get poor usage on Phenom II and C2Q in games like BC2. If you have to get Nvidia, I'd recommend SLI 2GB 560tis. The 2.5GB 570s don't seem worth $380 to me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: BF3 Video card requirements

              Does anyone know what video cards DICE uses for their tests? I'm buying a new card and don't really care whether it's NVidia or AMD. I just want something that'll run smooth and stable.

              I think that I heard the PC's that showed off BF3 ran dual GTX 580s. Can anyone confirm?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: BF3 Video card requirements

                Yes computers at PAX ran GTX 580 in SLI

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: BF3 Video card requirements

                  Originally posted by MeatCleaver View Post
                  How much do you have to spend? That is the real question. What resolution do you play at and what's your current CPU? Nvidia drivers during the Alpha were absolutely terrible so it's hard to recommend on that end. You can get a 2GB 6950 reference card for ~$230-250 and unlock it to a 6970. The 6950/70 was averaging ~ 60fps so a single 570 should give similar performance but the 1.2G memory may force you to leave AA @ 1X and the Nvidia 400/500 series may be a problem if you have anything other than an Intel i5 or i7 since they get poor usage on Phenom II and C2Q in games like BC2. If you have to get Nvidia, I'd recommend SLI 2GB 560tis. The 2.5GB 570s don't seem worth $380 to me.
                  I have an i7 overclocked to 4ghz :p but yes, alpha should be no test for the cards because it is such early stages
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: BF3 Video card requirements

                    Originally posted by devaZtation View Post
                    Yes computers at PAX ran GTX 580 in SLI
                    I am building a new rig. The mobo I chose doesn't have enough room for dual 580s. The card takes up 3 slots! ROFL. So I am sticking to a single card and I think I should be enough. I don't care much for AA but I do Anistropic Filtering.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: BF3 Video card requirements

                      Originally posted by Visser View Post
                      I am building a new rig. The mobo I chose doesn't have enough room for dual 580s. The card takes up 3 slots! ROFL. So I am sticking to a single card and I think I should be enough. I don't care much for AA but I do Anistropic Filtering.
                      Only the ASUS DCII uses 3 slots. Most are 2 slots.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: BF3 Video card requirements

                        Keep in mind that the developers use monster rigs because the engine is still being optimized. Driver support is also constantly behind hardware.
                        Skud


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: BF3 Video card requirements

                          Originally posted by Skud View Post
                          Keep in mind that the developers use monster rigs because the engine is still being optimized. Driver support is also constantly behind hardware.
                          This...

                          Developers want the best experience for potential customers so they will be using 580s in SLI to compensate for these things. My single 580 did amazing during the Alpha and that's with complete lack of official driver support and the optimizations that mature drivers will bring. It was ridiculous to see people within the alpha battlelog compare BC2 frames per second, etc that had official driver support for an exceptionally long time to a game in alpha that had nothing.
                          A.E.K.Δ.B.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: BF3 Video card requirements

                            Originally posted by MeatCleaver View Post
                            Only the ASUS DCII uses 3 slots. Most are 2 slots.
                            This is the baby I plan to get ;)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: BF3 Video card requirements

                              I am hoping my two 5770s will do the trick. If not, I will probably throw a ton of money at some vid cards that will play on max settings smoothly.

                              “Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X